2011 LED tail lights in a 2010?

I have a 2010 Journey SXT with the standard incandescent tail lights, and would like to upgrade to the LED ones from a 2011. I bought a used OEM LED unit on eBay hoping for a plug 'n play installation, but the connectors are different. Has anyone tried this upgrade before? Does someone make an adapter harness that will allow me to install these? Any input would be appreciated.

The 2010 uses the same bulb for turn signals and brake lights as well as tail lights it is a 3 wire system. I believe the 2011 went back to using one bulb for the tail and brake lights and another amber bulb mounted lower (clear part of lens) for the turn signals...

The 2010 does not work well with led lights even if you place a resistor in line to stop hyper flashing. Doing so cancels out the tail light function of the led bulb so you are left with only tail lights (parking/running lights) in the lift gate. If you wish to run the vehicle this way it does work you will however not have tail lights in the outer lenses which may be illegal in some areas as you will have no tail/marker lights on the outer most corners...

Do Journeys use the standard plug-in type flasher relays? I have seen aftermarket flashers that are designed to work with LEDs to prevent hyper flashing. I've never used one of those before though, so I don't know if that will fix the problem or not.

I was thinking that I might be able to order a trailer wiring harness and modify it to work with my LEDs lights. It comes with the male and female connectors that mate up with the factory harness, I would just have to get the connectors for the LED lamps and splice them in. I don't want to modify the car's wiring harness at all. This is the setup I'm looking at: http://www.etrailer.com/Custom-Fit-Vehicle-Wiring/Tow-Ready/118495.html. The trick will be in finding the connectors to mate up with the LED lamp assemblies.

• 5 weeks later...