For the Canucks - General Altimax Arctic Sale

Armendegga

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that starting on Friday Sept 23, General Altimax Arctic tires will be 25% off at Canadian Tire. For the base 16" model, each tire will be roughly $134.99. This is roughly the same price as 1010Tires right now, however if you get the tires at CT you get road hazard included in it.

Just wanted to give you all a heads up that starting on Friday Sept 23, General Altimax Arctic tires will be 25% off at Canadian Tire. For the base 16" model, each tire will be roughly $134.99. This is roughly the same price as 1010Tires right now, however if you get the tires at CT you get road hazard included in it.

Thanks for the post, you steered me on to those tires.

Those particular tires have really good reviews, and priced well. However the local Canadian Tire stores did not have the exact tire size for a Journey (22570R16)...closest size was 21570R16 which would be OK. You CANNOT go wider because the crown of the sidewall is VERY close to the strut in the front (have a look - you will be shocked...especially if you're wearing 19s!). Anyway CT wanted $152 sale price for the 215s.

But...I just bought a set of 4 of the Altimax Arctics on 1010tires for only $136 each...and the best part: FREE shipping on a set of 4 and they only charged my a little over $20 in GST and NO PST!!!! Can't beat a deal like that. Now I just need to buy the steel rims.

Edited by Geer

Yep, I went for the altimax arctics because they were rated highly everywhere I saw.

I am guessing you meant that they didn't have your size in stock at the time? I was lucky that they did have stock for mine. Glad that you were able to take care of the 1010tires free shipping promo as well!!

There are a few options for Rims which you are probably aware of. junkyards might have some that you can find. if you're looking new, Fountain Tire was where I bought mine, and they were the cheapest place I could find locally, but ended up costing me about $77 per rim.

I've owned them before. They are ok tires for the price. You can get them studded which can be a major plus.

They have good highway stability in snow, ok on ice but I found that they felt short when launching whether it be in moderate/deep snow or ice. You grow weary of the sliding and TC kicking in. On asphalt, they handle fine.

But hey, like any other tire they don't do everything well thus you have to choose wisely depending on the conditions they will be used in.

Basically :

My colleague and I had them & both noticed that they lose their bite a lot as they start to wear (which is fairly quickly). So make sure you don't put them on before temperatures are cool enough and don't leave them on too long in the spring.

Ok if you don't get a lot of snow and often & don't often have to deal with it in stop-go trafic.

You will improve their launching bite a lot in icy conditions by getting them studded if you can bare with the racket

If you have an awd vehicule and especially if you get them studded, they won't be that bad. The added traction makes up for their low speed weaknesses of course. We have their continental counterpart on our Jeep and they're fine. Then it's a good deal IMO.

If you're on a budget, they are definitely a good buy. If you have a bit more dough and especially hate dealing with winter driving, I'd look at something else.

Ah good catch Armendegga! No biggie. $740 with taxes and fees is still a great price for those tires! My local tire shop could only offer them at $830 plus tax. I'm pretty sure Canadian Tire offers free installation (excluding balancing) with tire purchases too.