Vertical Hitch Rating? (82208642AB)

Armendegga

Hey All,

I know there are a few of you that have the Mopar hitch receiver and hitch set up... What is the vertical hitch rated for? I've looked around everywhere it seems and haven't been able to find a rating.

From what I could tell, the vertical to horizontal adapter (82208643) is only rated at 1000 lbs. I am hoping that the vertical hitch itself is rated at what the receiver is rated for (3500lbs)... If any of you could take a look at the stamp on it, and let me know what the max weight, and max tongue weight is, that would be great!

I'll be installing the Mopar receiver this week, but was curious about what the actual hitch is rated at since I don't have it yet.

I would like to know also , cant see the rating in any of the pictures, and on mopar, it says designed to match your vehicles tow rating

what good is that if someone has a 4cyl or 6 cyl?

I talked to a parts counter person and she said for me to call chrysler??

I did not know that 90 degree V to H is only rated for 1000lbs thats not good since i am towing 3000lbs

Yeah I tried to see the pictures as well, but it wasn't detailed enough for me to read what the stamp said.

The L converter is mainly just for using for a bike hitch, or a small utility trailer. I believe Terry (WIndDancer) has this set up, so if he sees this post, he should be able to confirm for us :)

Yeah I tried to see the pictures as well, but it wasn't detailed enough for me to read what the stamp said.The L converter is mainly just for using for a bike hitch, or a small utility trailer. I believe Terry (WIndDancer) has this set up, so if he sees this post, he should be able to confirm for us :)

I almost missed this post, sorry. My car has the Mopar Trailering package and I had the OEM hitch installed. I was told by my dealer (rightly or wrongly) that it was good for 3500 lbs. All I have towed with the car is my boat which is only a 17' trihull and doesn't come close to 3500 lbs. You can see a photo of my hitch in the 6th post at If you have any other questions just ask and I will do my best to answer them or maybe another member can help you also. I can certainly go home tonight and take some photos and see what (if anything) is stamped on the hitch if that would help.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 2 weeks later...

Just as an FYI from Mopar.ca, under the 2011 Journey R/T parts section ,I also called my local part guy (at a dealership) and for 82208642AB, I had him open one up and stamped right on it is "2000lbs / 200lbs

but yet it says "Designed and tested to match your vehicles towing capacity" which is 3500lbs /350lbs. I bought the oem hitch and had it installed (with the cut bumper) and they sell nothing that is rated for 3500lbs

i was using 82208643AB and receiver from my magnum to tow my boat but that part only says 1000lbs. I have phoned and opened up a case with Chrylser. I could have put on an aftermarket hitch and had many ball mount options , now I have a cut bumper and nothing to tow my boat with!!

82208642AB

Designed and tested to match your vehicle's towing capacity, Mopar's Ball Mount Kits are made of heavy-duty cold-rolled steel. E-coat primer and powder-coat paint provide a durable finish.

Vertical mounted, for LX only, use only with 1" shank diameter hitch ball, for 2" opening. Check Owner's Manual for hitch type, load capacity

82208643AB (This is the verticle to horizontal)

i cut and pasted this from the website Mounting brackets provide a place to cleanly mount your wiring connectors. Connector adapters convert 7 way connectors to 4 way for light duty trailer use.

Permits the use of hitch-mounted carriers and weight distributing equipment for towing up to 1,000 lbs

82210403AB

This receiver is a one piece welded assembly for added strength and is covered with a double layered, E-coated paint finish to resist rust.

3,500 lb, 350 lb tongue, 2" opening.

Yep - Just got the vertical hitch - Stamped that it is only rated for 2000 lbs / 200 lbs tongue weight.

A quick search did reveal aftermarket vertical hitches: This curt one is $56 and rated for 4000 lbs / 400 lb tongue weight. http://www.etrailer....urt/C45003.html

Also came across a vertical to horizontal adapter that is rated for 5000 lbs / 500 lb tongue weight... Much better than the Mopar one only rated at 1000 lbs... http://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Accessories/Curt/C45013.html

Edited by Armendegga

thanks for that info , waiting to hear what chrysler is going to do, received a follow up from a customer service manager, just telling me that the case is being looked into

I am going on vacation and would like to tow my boat, be interesting what they will say

Hi guys, just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. If I have my dealer install the OEM receiver:

210403AB - This receiver is a one piece welded assembly for added strength and is covered with a double layered, E-coated paint finish to resist rust.

And then get this Curt vertical mount: http://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45003.html

I should be all set to tow up to 3500 lbs / 350 lbs TW Right? I really like the idea of the vertical receiver since it's not visible when your remove the mount but anything under 3500 lbs wouldn't be enough for my needs.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Edited by Dre

Hi guys, just to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. If I have my dealer install the OEM receiver:

210403AB - This receiver is a one piece welded assembly for added strength and is covered with a double layered, E-coated paint finish to resist rust.

And then get this Curt vertical mount: http://www.etrailer....urt/C45003.html

I should be all set to tow up to 3500 lbs / 350 lbs TW Right? I really like the idea of the vertical receiver since it's not visible when your remove the mount but anything under 3500 lbs wouldn't be enough for my needs.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Yep, that's my understanding. I'll keep the Mopar vertical ball hitch for now as I don't have anything over 2000lbs to tow, but if I need to tow more, I will definitely order teh Curt one. It's a shame shipping is $50 to Canada!

Actually, I just found part # 210403AB on dodgeparts.com and it says it's only good for 2000 lbs.

https://www.dodgepar...e70a3ed29066a7c

Just wondering where you got the 3500 lbs from.

Thanks again!

From the Mopar website. This is what it states:

Hitch Receivers

82210403ABThis receiver is a one piece welded assembly for added strength and is covered with a double layered, E-coated paint finish to resist rust.3,500 lb, 350 lb tongue, 2" opening.

Here's the link: It's under the Towing section. http://v2.acc-mopar.ca/web/accessories.php?webaccess=2F9FA9C&vehname=2011%20Journey%20R/T&vehid=248%7C1448

Yep, that's my understanding. I'll keep the Mopar vertical ball hitch for now as I don't have anything over 2000lbs to tow, but if I need to tow more, I will definitely order teh Curt one. It's a shame shipping is $50 to Canada!

From the Mopar website. This is what it states:

Hitch Receivers

82210403ABThis receiver is a one piece welded assembly for added strength and is covered with a double layered, E-coated paint finish to resist rust.3,500 lb, 350 lb tongue, 2" opening.

Here's the link: It's under the Towing section. http://v2.acc-mopar.ca/web/accessories.php?webaccess=2F9FA9C&vehname=2011%20Journey%20R/T&vehid=248%7C1448

Well that's quite interesting...two different sites with the same part but different specs. It does make more sense that it would be 3500 lbs. All the hitches I've seen with a 2" opening are at least 3500 lbs. Is there a weight rating or anything at all stamped on yours?