Traction control total loss of power

lgbnaf2d

2009 Journey SE has been relatively trouble free since purchase used in Nov 08 with about 6K miles on the clock. At 56K miles now and out of warranty. Problem: The traction control kicks in randomly usually around a minute or so after startup. Could be going straight or turning. Power cut, light flashes and I'm dead in the water for a few seconds. Long enough to be dangerous. It has gotten to the point where I take the long way around for fear of crossing a major intersection since there is no light. Full disclosure: My tires are mismatched. I have 225/60 16 on front and stock 225/70 16 on rear but this has been happening before the change over. Wanted less sidewall to tighten things up a bit. Don't want to waste diagnostic money at dealer since no codes are thrown and I'm sure I'll get the "unable to reproduce." Any ideas? Ready to throw in towel otherwise.

More info - I read the previous posts about jerky driving and stalling but those seem to be more transmission related and with the 3.5. I have the 2.4 and my issue is definitely traction control. And I have tried pressing ESP dash button to disengage before pulling off.

one of ur wheel speed sensor is glitching out.

On most vehicle, it is because the Tone ring on one of the axle broke off, causing the Wheel speed sensor to pick up bad signal.

Inspect the tone ring on the axle, see if an damaged tooth are spoted. However, i believe you can NOT see the teeth on the rear tone ring on Journey.

If you find a broking tone ring, you will need an axle and a sensor. which is pretty expensive. If that does happen, advise on Aftermarket axle is waste of time and money. Get a Re-Man OEM one or new one.

If all you need is a sensor, then it would be cheaper.

If you can't find anything with simple observation, you will need some real diagnostic equipment that can see which sensor is sending the false signal while the ABS/Trac kicks in, and go from there.

Journey are fairly new vehicle, not a lot of shop would even have up-to-date equipment for it. your best bet is dealership. ;)

Either way, expect few hundred dollar repair bill on this one if you are going to the dealership. :banghead:

Can you just turn off the Traction control? so at least you can drive for now?

Do you have All Wheel Drive? I hope you don't Mismatching tires will tear apart you Power Transfer Unit.

Thanks for the info! Really appreciate it. I was at end of rope with this one. Gave in and took it to dealer last night. Hopefully it's the lesser of the two options. Just front wheel drive. It's actually been pretty good in the snow. Even made it through Snowmageddon last yr here in Md.