Subwoofer Installation

Installing amps and subwoofers used to be easier before computers took control of everything lectronic!

I have the premium convenience package, non-Infinity. I've had my Lanzar 6200 amp lying around since I got the Journey, so the last couple of days I did some installing. Didn't want to mess up the bluetooth, steering wheel controls, or other accessory connections, so I bought a 2-channel speaker line to RCA converter. I used T-taps to tap into the rear speaker wires behind the head unit, and ran the patch cords along the passenger side floor under the carpet.

I ran power from the battery lead at the fuse box, and ran it just inside the driver side fender. From there I punched a small hole in the grommet through which the main wiring harness enters the cabin, and ran the power line along the driver's side under the carpet.

The amp fits beautifully behind the rear seats. (I have 5 seating, not 7.) I mounted it to the front wall of the luggage bin with bolts, and zip tied it to the carpet.

Remote turn-on notes: I could not identify a switched fuse in the fuse box, and wound up running the remote turn on wire to the switched accessory outlet under the radio. (What a PITA!)

For now I'm using my 10" Kenwood sub in a box I built, but I am planning on building a box to fit under the boards of the luggage compartment. Outer measurements

approx. 5 3/4" x 12 3/4" x 26". Have to figure out if I want the subwoofer box under the luggage cover, or if i want the speaker to have open exposure to the cabin airspace.

I couldn't find a wiring diagram for the speakers, and after removing both rear doors only to discover that the wires on both sides are identically colored, I called Crutchfield, from whom I bought the sub. They gave me this info:

Right Rear: + green w/lite green stripe

- green w/purple stripe

Left Rear: + gray w/lite green stripe

- gray w/dark green stripe

Right Front: + green w/purple stripe

- green w/lite green stripe

Left Rear: + gray w/violet stripe

- gray w/yellow stripe

I took a few pics if anyone's interested.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out my KENWOOD KFC-WS253 10 INCH SUBWOOFER (not the greatest, but OK) 10" sub has a top mounting depth of 5 9/16", which is a little too deep for building a box to fit under the rear compartment. So I used a box I had already built and mounted it behind the pax side rear seat, and it SOUNDS GREAT! I didn't realize how much I missed that sub!!

• 5 months later...

Installing amps and subwoofers used to be easier before computers took control of everything lectronic!

I have the premium convenience package, non-Infinity. I've had my Lanzar 6200 amp lying around since I got the Journey, so the last couple of days I did some installing. Didn't want to mess up the bluetooth, steering wheel controls, or other accessory connections, so I bought a 2-channel speaker line to RCA converter. I used T-taps to tap into the rear speaker wires behind the head unit, and ran the patch cords along the passenger side floor under the carpet.

I ran power from the battery lead at the fuse box, and ran it just inside the driver side fender. From there I punched a small hole in the grommet through which the main wiring harness enters the cabin, and ran the power line along the driver's side under the carpet.

The amp fits beautifully behind the rear seats. (I have 5 seating, not 7.) I mounted it to the front wall of the luggage bin with bolts, and zip tied it to the carpet.

Remote turn-on notes: I could not identify a switched fuse in the fuse box, and wound up running the remote turn on wire to the switched accessory outlet under the radio. (What a PITA!)

For now I'm using my 10" Kenwood sub in a box I built, but I am planning on building a box to fit under the boards of the luggage compartment. Outer measurements

approx. 5 3/4" x 12 3/4" x 26". Have to figure out if I want the subwoofer box under the luggage cover, or if i want the speaker to have open exposure to the cabin airspace.

I couldn't find a wiring diagram for the speakers, and after removing both rear doors only to discover that the wires on both sides are identically colored, I called Crutchfield, from whom I bought the sub. They gave me this info:

Right Rear: + green w/lite green stripe

- green w/purple stripe

Left Rear: + gray w/lite green stripe

- gray w/dark green stripe

Right Front: + green w/purple stripe

- green w/lite green stripe

Left Rear: + gray w/violet stripe

- gray w/yellow stripe

I took a few pics if anyone's interested.

Hey, I know this is kind of an old post, but do you still have those pics?