Roof Racks

Hey All,

I am looking for some help. I want to add roof racks to my 09 journey. I was just at the dealer and he quoted me like $600+ install. Which seems absurd as they appears to be around the $200 on most website I can see.

My question is; does anyone know a supplier/website in Canada where I can purchase the full kit (side & cross rails)? I was going to get from a US site that had them for $185 but shipping is $100 so....not too keen on that...although cheaper than the dealer!

If anyone has any they are selling I'd consider this an option.

Or if anyone has experience with other roof racks...if that's even an option...just looking for the best value.

Cheers

Hey All,

I am looking for some help. I want to add roof racks to my 09 journey. I was just at the dealer and he quoted me like $600+ install. Which seems absurd as they appears to be around the $200 on most website I can see.

My question is; does anyone know a supplier/website in Canada where I can purchase the full kit (side & cross rails)? I was going to get from a US site that had them for $185 but shipping is $100 so....not too keen on that...although cheaper than the dealer!

If anyone has any they are selling I'd consider this an option.

Or if anyone has experience with other roof racks...if that's even an option...just looking for the best value.

Cheers

Mine came with side rails and no cross rails! I would like to know where I can get just cross rails for cheap. :)

• 3 months later...

It's not that easy to install the roof rack, I was thinking about getting it but you will have to drill holes in your roof... I have purchased universal telescopic roof rack kit from amazon. Brand name is highland, the set came in yesterday and for $35 it's worth it. Look those up, it's better than spending $600 at dealer.

• 1 month later...

I am also in the market to have a roof rack installed on my 09 SXT Journey. The best priced quote so far is $508 and will be done in a day. The body shop is going to install the OEM rack and i just have to buy the cross bars. He says it is spendy because the headliner has to comedown for installation. Have you tried any body shops? Sometimes you can get a better price because they want your business. Just make sure it is a reputable company.

• 4 weeks later...

I keep my cross rails in near the spare tire. When driving, they make a howling noise when the wind passes through them. It was quite annoying so I keep them off till needed. FYI

If you keep them just behind the small arrows on the roof rails they won't make noise just make sure they are on correctly they are directional.. But I guess if you keep them under the cargo floor they can't be stolen either...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I know this is a little late, but here it is. I was wanting to add A luggage rack to my '09 Journey so i went to the dealer, here in TX. Bought OEM Mopar roof rack for $223 plus taxes. System is complete. Headliner does not have to come down. All work is done from outside the vehicle. Yes, you have to drill (8) holes in the roof. Gives you all the measurements, and detailed instructions. I just bought them today, have not installed them, but it looks really simple if you have any DIY knowledge. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

OP -> I gather you have no rails so how about getting universal feet/podiums plus a set of cross bars for vehicules w/o rails ? there are a variety of them out there & you'd certainly save a bunch. Thule is a quality brand and they have a number of feet and podiums, surely one item fits a Journey. For 300$, you'd be all set.

Other than that - I honestly though that the RT came with cross bars, I realized I had none the morning after getting it - oups lol

So I bought aftermarket cross bars from swiss cargo (wal mart) - they were only 190$ or so and fit ok, they have a lock and are very quickly installed.

I got these instead of oem not only because they are cheaper but I also though it'd be convenient to have something a tad bit wider (53 in) and that I could use on our Jeep as well.

They are ok, but I DO NOT leave them on because of the wind noise as it can get very annoying on a windy day.

I do recommend them seeing the value.

Thule is a quality brand and they have a number of feet and podiums, surely one item fits a Journey. For 300$, you'd be all set.

I've had Thule racks for over 20 years and they are qyuality equipment, I had them on several of my vans etc. and I was very happy with them. When I got my journey instead of getting another set of feet, I decided to us the OEM bars that came with my car. I use my racks for my kayaks (see photo) and my windsurfing boards. I bought a set of Malone cradles and used the OEM roof racks and the crossmembers. So far all works well, I did notice a decrease in wind noise once I put the sunroof air deflector on.

Terry

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php?/gallery/member/2388-windancer/