HELP! Interior coat hanger installation

baadams

Hi everyone! I just purchased a 2009 Dodge Journey SE and noticed that the passenger side interior coat hanger was gone. I told the dealership and we were lucky enough to get one shipped to my home address. Now I need to install it. As it stands now, it looks like the hanger just needs pushed through the empty hole but it isn't grabbing on to anything. Does anyone have any experience with this sort of thing? I don't know if the guts got ripped out when the hanger was broke off and that is not there or what. I just pushed on that thing for 5 minutes straight and it's not staying or snagging on anything! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

• 3 years later...

Lets See: Looks like it took about 4 years to get a response. I had same situation. If you look closely at the coat hanger - you will see it is 2 parts. If the parts are joined together - trying to get hanger to stay in place in ceiling liner will not work. Need to separate the two parts (by raising the upper and lower tabs which hold the parts together. What keeps the hanger in place -is placing the insert in installation hole and then expanding portion of insert by pushing the prong of the remaining piece of hanger - in to place. Causing it to expand and become wedged in place. That's the theory. Theory is good long as you only hang some hankies. Better -is for there to be passenger / driver assist handles securely fastened - which can double as sturdy hangers or assist in entering/exiting the vehicle.

Will update this info - in coming decade.

Barry