2010MY Journey aftermarket wiring question

joe8918

I have a 2010MY Dodge Journey w/ trailer tow prep group. The dealer included the 7-pin round wiring harness but I think it's over kill and I do not want to splice wires in to the PCM to get the wiring to work. I will at most tow the recommended 3500lbs so I do not think I will have use for it.

I want to got with an aftermarket 4-flat wiring harness. I saw on e-trailer.com where I bought the hitch that there are plug-in harness for 2009 but not 2010. The guy I emailed said that the 2010MY is a hard-wired application and gave me a link shown below. Does that sound right?

http://www.etrailer.com/p-20251.htm

Also, a friend of mine mentioned that I need to be care splicing into the tail lamps as the Journey platform uses low-voltage to power the electronics like the brake lights/running lights, etc. He said that if they see voltage too low it will go to some automatic shut down / lock-up where you would need to take it to the dealership for them to resurrect it. Does anyone know if that is true either?

If there is someone out there with a 2010MY who has put in the 4-flat please tell me which one you went with .

Thanks,

Joe