Caliber to Journey Upgrade

abarnes223

Hi, I'm currently the owner of a 2007 Caliber SXT. I'm considering trading for a '10 Journey. I was wondering if any of you guys had owned a Caliber before or had any experience with one and could make a comparison. We like our Caliber, but our first child is on the way, and we need more room for the baby and our mastiff. My biggest problem with the Caliber is the road noise and rough ride...has this been resolved with the Journey?

I will add, having test drove a Journey immediately after test driving a Caliber, the difference is night & day!

We upgraded from a 2002 PT Cruiser, which I heard is a similar ride to the caliber, and I can say this vehicle is far above the PT in terms of quiet and comfort. I had no complaints with the PT, we owned since new for 7 years and it served us well, but this is a much nicer ride (IMO) for not a lot more money. Like you, we got it for the extra room with 2 growing kids, all of their activity gear, and carting mom-in-law around on the weekend. We really grew out of the PT over the years, and while we wanted the 7 passenger Journey, I got a deal too good to pass up on a deep-water-blue 5-passenger. It seats 5 comfortably, even with 2 kids in booster seats. The cargo space is enormous compared to the PT.

This sound like a decent deal to you guys? http://www.mallofgeorgiachryslerdodgejeep....4a621b07493.htm

It's very close to what I paid. I don't have the rear video option (but I did get the Blue Pearl paint), so yes, it looks decent. My only question is, what is the "discount" for? is it damaged? Is it a buy-back? Does it have high mileage? When I was shopping around, one place tried to push a 2009 loaded R/T for a pretty good price, but I was turned off by the fact that it had 3400 miles on it. Either it had been test driven a lot or some of the salespeople had taken it home. Having lived my high-school years as a good friend of the son of a local GM dealership manager, I can say with experience that you do not want to buy a car that has been taken home by salesmen. We had a lot of fun in brand new Firebirds and Fieros that I'm sure their ultimate owners would not have appreciated!

This sound like a decent deal to you guys? http://www.mallofgeorgiachryslerdodgejeep....4a621b07493.htm

Okay, now having looked at the rest of this dealer's site, I see they've discounted all their SXT's the same, so that must be part of their year-end-desperation, I mean, wrap-up. If you can get rebates on top of this, I'd say it's a darn good price.

Been going back and forth with the Internet sales guy on this car. He's telling me if I want the "special" finance rate(which is 4.9% for 60), then I have to give up the rebates. I haven't asked what kind of rate i could get WITH the rebates...I thought 4.9 was kind of high for a "special" anyway. May have to find something with fewer options.

Been going back and forth with the Internet sales guy on this car. He's telling me if I want the "special" finance rate(which is 4.9% for 60), then I have to give up the rebates. I haven't asked what kind of rate i could get WITH the rebates...I thought 4.9 was kind of high for a "special" anyway. May have to find something with fewer options.

Okay, starting to sound like typical dealer tactics.

According to Edmunds (which I think is a little dated right now), dealer invoice on that exact set of options is $26,108. In *theory*, if this is what you pay, the dealer makes no profit. There are other ways for them to profit and you're running into one of them - the financing. Other ways include "coupons" they have with the manufacturer and extended warranties. There are certainly others that I don't know about so I never feel guilty about paying invoice for a vehicle, although some places say you should add about $500 or so to this to let the dealer make a fair profit.

Chrysler is offering $1,500 back and 2.9% financing or $1000 back, 0% financing. Assuming you can qualify for the standard $1,500/2.9% deal, you could potentially net out to $24,608 ($25,108 with extra $500 dealer profit). This is still higher than the $22,998 the dealer wants to sell it to you for, so you just have to do the math and see if the 4.9% deal works out better. A more sizable down payment (if they allow it) makes the 4.9% deal even more attractive.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the advice. I think we're probably just gonna hang on to the Caliber for a few more months, so we can get a little more off the trade-in. I think we're probably slightly upside down on it right now. I'd like to hang on to the cash I've got...so the Journey is a little out of reach right now, as far as the payment we're shooting for. Hope you guys enjoy yours, and I'll just have to look forward to mine a little bit longer.

If 04redmach1 can get you a better deal, go for it!

Just my reminder to you is don't always get sold on interest rate. If this dealer really will sell you this car for $22,998 with a 4.9%/60 mo. loan, it should cost about $475.15/mo after taxes & title (I used an online calculator for the dealer's zip code). If you decided to forego that deal and managed to talk them down to invoice cost AND got $1,500 cash back with a 2.9%/60 mo loan, the monthly payment should be $486.71. So you can see, the higher interest rate deal actually costs less. The dealer's obviously making their profit on the financing.

Of course, a lot variables/unknowns here so ultimately YOU have to decide if it's a good deal.

Thanks, guys. I appreciate the advice. I think we're probably just gonna hang on to the Caliber for a few more months, so we can get a little more off the trade-in. I think we're probably slightly upside down on it right now. I'd like to hang on to the cash I've got...so the Journey is a little out of reach right now, as far as the payment we're shooting for. Hope you guys enjoy yours, and I'll just have to look forward to mine a little bit longer.

Whoops - you posted while I was typing my previous remarks!

Like I said, YOU have decide what works. I completely understand your situation.

If you do end up waiting, keep in mind the MY 2011 refresh that's coming toward the end of next year. If you're thinking about buying next summer, it might be worthwhile waiting a little longer. Either you get a superior car in the '11 or you'll get good deals as they try to clear out their '10's. Of course, I think the deals right now might be hard to beat!

Yea, I got invoice then rebates and $800 over on trade in value for my car :) Also got a no BS rate either. I am pretty sure that the dealership gets a cut of a % when gettin the bank business, so do not let a dealer tell you they are loosing money. So many varibles and ways they work deals and make money. We went 75 months on ours and still got under 6% if that tells you anything :) We had to sadly due to our situation, but if you can go 60 months, by all means roll with it!

You ain't kidding.

Doc fee

Dealer hold back

Dealer incentives (Big volume dealer or chain)

Bank

I am a manufacturer and know how the world works. You sell more, you get a certain % discount. Invoice is nice to see, but NO dealer pays invoice. NO dealer I have pays dealer price, they always get at least 5% discount. That is a lot on $20,000. Regular dealer is for the companies that buy 2 products a month or if.

• 1 month later...

Well I"m not only new to the forum I'm in the same boat as you. I'm thinking about going from my 07 dodge cali to the 2010 journey. I took one for a drove today, the sxt of course and pretty much loaded. The ride is like night and day.. I love it!!!

I didnt find it hard to adjust at all, its just a little bigger then the cali but with all the same blind spots so it wasn't an issue. I like all the added features along with the "best" factory auto start.

S/O and I are going to take it for another drive Tuesday and see what he thinks and take it from there... The challenge is going to see how we put for 4 teenagers on there.

Good luck in your search, So far I'm happy with the the possibility of owning a 2010 Journey.

EASY!!! 2 in the back 2 rows and strap 2 to the roof rails....................... especially if they complain!!!!

LOL!!!! :shift:

I like that roof rail things ... LOL bad ones go there :D

But on a serious note ... 2 are 5'9 /1 5'10 and big, and well the little guy... he's going to fill in space :D

Not to mention s/o is 6'2 so we are going to see how much leg room this journey really has.....

But on a serious note ... 2 are 5'9 /1 5'10 and big, and well the little guy... he's going to fill in space :D

Not to mention s/o is 6'2 so we are going to see how much leg room this journey really has.....

You might be pushing things a bit. My elementary age boys fit in the back row, but it's tight. My 5'10" daughter sits in the middle/right row but I have her scoot forward a notch or two to give the boys extra legroom. My wife needs to scoot forward a notch or two to give my daughter extra legroom. All are happy and comfortable but I wonder how many growth spurts from my boys before they are cramped again. We only have a couple more notches of scooting that we can use to absorb their growth.

I don't really drive around "fully-loaded" like this that often. When we do, it is usually for short (< 1 hour) durations. For long trips, we use my wife's minivan.