Journey 2011 R/T VS Ford Explorer

Don't get the explorer, don't waste your money. The journey has tons of more cool features than the explorer. If you really want to find to find out. Test drive one and you'll no what I mean!'!!!!!!!

I have already did a test drive of the Explorer, I can't wait to try the Journey when my dealer will receive an R/T I can try in stock.

What I really liked with the Explorer is the quietness of the drive, I just hope that the Journey is as quiet!

Another thing is that I dont think that the seating is as high in the Journey as in the Explorer, I like to have a high view on the road. Correct me if I'm wrong.

But the main big advantages I find is better in the Journey are :

- The fold flat front seat (that is just great when you need to fit some 8 foot long wood planks)

- Keyless entry and remote start (with the explorer I need to get the expensive Limited for that)

- Leather seating

- Integrated child booster seat

- About 7000$ less than the Explorer XLT 4WD

But the Explorer has :

- Side mirrors flasher light

- Ford MyTouch, which is just amazing

- Terrain management system (which looks really nice)

- Higher towing capacity

- Generally higher reselling price than a dodge.

- The look of the Explorer is just... Wow

Feel free to give your opinion, and if you see other advantages or disadvantages I did not listed her, just let me know.

Thanks

(Can't wait to get rid of my 2008 Kia Rondo )

Edited by deulyd

The new Exploder is nice but I think you should be comparing it to a Durango not a Journey-the Edge is the Journey competition no?

The Edge is not a 7 Seater like the Explorer and the Journey. Even though the Edge looks nice, I think its really expensive for what it is, and I would get the Explorer before even thinking of the Edge.

I do not really like the Durango, for the price I would definitely get for an Explorer before the Durango.

The Journey though looks like a really good cheaper alternative to the Explorer, a little smaller, but it has full of nice options, and i like its look too.

I think it all comes down to whichever one you like better ( drool at, when one drives past you ) You don`t want to regret not buying the other after a week .You may want to look at the MPG between the two, and perhaps things like tires and other accessories and add - ons you may be thinking of purchasing , and how much of a difference insurance would be ( if any ) between the two.

OK, I finally got to road test a Journey 2011 R/T and here are my impressions compared to the Explorer :

the Journey has a really nice 8.4" touchscreen that is comparable to the Ford MyTouch. I find the MyTouch interface is a little nicer than the UConnect, but the UConnect is a lot simpler and a LOT more responsive; it instantly reacts to a touch of a finger. MyFord Touch is slow and there is a annoying lag time. The Buttons on the Steering Wheel of the Ford are a lot simple with a 4 way and OK button in the middle. With the Journey, those buttons are placed ankward. Another bad thing for Ford is that the Remote Start and push button start are not available in the XLT model, only on the expensibe Limited model.

The Journey is a really quiet ride, but not as much as the Explorer where you can barely hear anything from the outside. The Explorer is also smoother than the Journey, but that may be because the R/T has a performance hard suspension where you feel the road a little more.

The Explorer seat height is higher than the Journey, but the Journey is not bad. Compared to my Kia Rondo, I was feeling a lot higher in the Journey.

Space for driver legs now. I'm 6'2". In term of length the Journey has a lot more space for the legs, I can stretch both my legs fully on the left of the brake pedal, a thing that I cannot do in the Explorer. But the explorer driver side legs space is a wider for the knees (but there is really enough space in the Journey to be confortable).

The Explorer is a really nice ride, but after I tried the Journey, my heart fell for the Journey! There is a LOT of nice little nice things and features on the dodge that the Ford doesn't have. And I think the Fold-Flat passenger seat is the feature I like the most on the Journey ( So I can fit long things on the car).

For me, the Journey won the match (but the Explorer is still a second choice)

And, its about 7000$ cheaper. :)

I have a 2009 Journey. I recently drove a 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer on a biz trip. I definitely think my Journey is better. I like the Ford's size and interior, but the engine was a guzzler and it didn't have any acceleration. Also, the brakes were not very good. I had to practically stand on the pedal to stop.

My Journey has better acceleration and the brakes are more sure. I was glad I had a Journey when I got home. Hope that helps!

I have a 2009 Journey. I recently drove a 2010 Explorer Eddie Bauer on a biz trip. I definitely think my Journey is better. I like the Ford's size and interior, but the engine was a guzzler and it didn't have any acceleration. Also, the brakes were not very good. I had to practically stand on the pedal to stop.

My Journey has better acceleration and the brakes are more sure. I was glad I had a Journey when I got home. Hope that helps!

In all fairness, the Explorer is not in the same segment as the Journey. An apples-to-apples comparision to Dodge would more appropriately be the Durango. And the 2011 Durango is SWEET!!! but the price is up there too, especially if you want the top trim Citadel.

I dont really like the Durango, I find the exterior a little roudish, but its only a matter of taste :) I find the Journey look is more aggresive.

My decision is final now, I chose the Journey over the Explorer...

I am now trying to find a Black or Blue R/T with Navigation, BlueTooth, Driver Convenience, and Hitch. Hope I find one at a reasonable price. :)

Edited by deulyd

I dont really like the Durango, I find the exterior a little roudish, but its only a matter of taste :) I find the Journey look is more aggresive.

My decision is final now, I chose the Journey over the Explorer...

I am now trying to find a Black or Blue R/T with Navigation, BlueTooth, Driver Convenience, and Hitch. Hope I find one at a reasonable price. :)

you're not going to have many choice with colors, they have pitch black which you can get but i know blackberry is not available.

you're not going to have many choice with colors, they have pitch black which you can get but i know blackberry is not available.

I wont order one since the 8.4" is not available anymore as long as the color shortage.

I will find one that is already on a dealer lot.