Key info and Reprogramming Key Fobs

RAV

I have a 2010 Journey.

We got two RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) fobs with the little keys inside to unlock the driver's door only.

Today I had a locksmith cut a backup key for $3 and it works without issue.

I'm going to hide this outside the car.

I have copies of the 2009 and 2010 owners manuals (electronic). The 2009 one discusses how to program additional fobs. The 2010 states "dealer only".

I took a chance and ordered a used FOB, same FCC ID #, from Ebay.

Manuals say a key can not be reprogrammed once they are used on a vehicle.

Is this true? Can I somehow clear the internal programming on the "used" FOB and program it to my car using the 2 other (good) fobs?

Are all of these "warnings" just a way to point customers to the dealer so they can rape us with excessive charges?

I have a 2010 Journey.

We got two RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) fobs with the little keys inside to unlock the driver's door only.

Today I had a locksmith cut a backup key for $3 and it works without issue.

I'm going to hide this outside the car.

I have copies of the 2009 and 2010 owners manuals (electronic). The 2009 one discusses how to program additional fobs. The 2010 states "dealer only".

I took a chance and ordered a used FOB, same FCC ID #, from Ebay.

Manuals say a key can not be reprogrammed once they are used on a vehicle.

Is this true? Can I somehow clear the internal programming on the "used" FOB and program it to my car using the 2 other (good) fobs?

Are all of these "warnings" just a way to point customers to the dealer so they can rape us with excessive charges?

How much is the dealer charging to do it for you?

I'm hoping I will be able to accomplish this without any dealer envolvement.

Here is the problem with your idea. The journey is useing Mercedes Technology with the key fobs. Mercedes Technology is almost identical to the BMW technology in the way it works.

That being said, you shoudl check with the dealer to see how many FOB's you can have programed to 1 car. BMW and MBZ only allow you to have 2 FOBS programed to 1 car at any given time. SO if you program another in, it will effectivly "Bump" one of your keys out of sequence and that one key will not start or lock/unlock the doors. They use this as a securty messue as to not have too many active keys out there at one time....SO if you lose a key and buy another fob, they would bump the lost fob out of the system so that a theif cannot steal the car.

the second half of your question, is no, you cannot use a used FOB from another car. It goes back to MBZ and BMW technology. All fobs are programed from factory to your vehicles VIN# when you order. The WIN has the vin# embeded in its programing. IF the vin's do not match, the FOB will not initialize and work in your car.

Again its a security issue.....or any cheap mechanic can get a fob, program it to your car, and have someone steal your car.

Here is the problem with your idea. The journey is useing Mercedes Technology with the key fobs. Mercedes Technology is almost identical to the BMW technology in the way it works.

That being said, you shoudl check with the dealer to see how many FOB's you can have programed to 1 car. BMW and MBZ only allow you to have 2 FOBS programed to 1 car at any given time. SO if you program another in, it will effectivly "Bump" one of your keys out of sequence and that one key will not start or lock/unlock the doors. They use this as a securty messue as to not have too many active keys out there at one time....SO if you lose a key and buy another fob, they would bump the lost fob out of the system so that a theif cannot steal the car.

the second half of your question, is no, you cannot use a used FOB from another car. It goes back to MBZ and BMW technology. All fobs are programed from factory to your vehicles VIN# when you order. The WIN has the vin# embeded in its programing. IF the vin's do not match, the FOB will not initialize and work in your car.

Again its a security issue.....or any cheap mechanic can get a fob, program it to your car, and have someone steal your car.

Thank you for your insight.

Note that in the 2009 manual, there is a large amount of information on the key process on page 17 including duplication and the fact that you can have up to 8 keys:

"Replacement Keys

NOTE: Only RKE transmitters that are programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start and operate the vehicle. Once a transmitter is programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed to any other vehicle.

At the time of purchase, the original owner is provided with a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN). Keep the PIN in a secure location. This number is required for authorized dealer replacement of RKE transmitters. Duplication of RKE transmitters may be performed at an authorized dealer or by using the Customer

Key Programming procedure

This procedure consists of programming a blank transmitter to the vehicle electronics. A blank transmitter is one that has never been programmed. NOTE: When having the Sentry Key Immobilizer system serviced, bring all vehicle RKE transmitters with you to the authorized dealer.

Customer Key Programming

If you have two valid RKE transmitters with integrated keys, you can program new transmitters

1. Insert the first valid integrated key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position for at least three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.

2. Insert the second valid integrated key and turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound and the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the second key.

3. Insert a blank integrated key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound and the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will stop The new integrated key is programmed. The RKE transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure.

Repeat this procedure to program up to eight keys. If you do not have a programmed RKE transmitter with integrated key, contact your authorized dealer for details.

NOTE: If a programmed key is lost, see your authorized dealer to have all remaining keys erased from the system’s memory. This will prevent the lost key from starting your vehicle. The remaining keys must then be reprogrammed. All vehicle keys must be taken to an authorized dealer at the time of service to be reprogrammed."

I do not believe there are any changes in the 2010 vehicles in this area (no hardware changes) so the process should be the same.

I need to better understand the "new key" vs "previously used key" issue better to know if I can update my used key or how I can clear the memory.

• 1 year later...

Thank you for your insight.

Note that in the 2009 manual, there is a large amount of information on the key process on page 17 including duplication and the fact that you can have up to 8 keys:

"Replacement Keys

NOTE: Only RKE transmitters that are programmed to the vehicle electronics can be used to start and operate the vehicle. Once a transmitter is programmed to a vehicle, it cannot be programmed to any other vehicle.

At the time of purchase, the original owner is provided with a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN). Keep the PIN in a secure location. This number is required for authorized dealer replacement of RKE transmitters. Duplication of RKE transmitters may be performed at an authorized dealer or by using the Customer

Key Programming procedure

This procedure consists of programming a blank transmitter to the vehicle electronics. A blank transmitter is one that has never been programmed. NOTE: When having the Sentry Key Immobilizer system serviced, bring all vehicle RKE transmitters with you to the authorized dealer.

Customer Key Programming

If you have two valid RKE transmitters with integrated keys, you can program new transmitters

1. Insert the first valid integrated key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position for at least three seconds, but no longer than 15 seconds. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the first key.

2. Insert the second valid integrated key and turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 15 seconds. After 10 seconds, a chime will sound and the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will begin to flash. Turn the ignition switch to the LOCK position and remove the second key.

3. Insert a blank integrated key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition switch to the ON position within 60 seconds. After 10 seconds, a single chime will sound and the Vehicle Security Alarm Indicator Light will stop The new integrated key is programmed. The RKE transmitter will also be programmed during this procedure.

Repeat this procedure to program up to eight keys. If you do not have a programmed RKE transmitter with integrated key, contact your authorized dealer for details.

NOTE: If a programmed key is lost, see your authorized dealer to have all remaining keys erased from the system’s memory. This will prevent the lost key from starting your vehicle. The remaining keys must then be reprogrammed. All vehicle keys must be taken to an authorized dealer at the time of service to be reprogrammed."

I do not believe there are any changes in the 2010 vehicles in this area (no hardware changes) so the process should be the same.

I need to better understand the "new key" vs "previously used key" issue better to know if I can update my used key or how I can clear the memory.

I have a 2010 Journey. I bought 2 keys off of ebay that were OEM new and was able to program them using the method described in the 2009 owners manual. The dealer wanted $45 to do program one and $280 for a new one. I payed $89 for the two on Ebay and programed them myself. You have to make sure the part number matches your key. I tried programing one from another source (with no part number on it) and the keyfob part programed but the remote door lock part wouldn't program. You are suppose to be able to have 8 key fobs total.

• 2 years later...

I have a 2010 DJ and I started to have problems with the key fob. I couldn't unlock the doors. Probably some kind of sync problem. Fortunately my second key still worked. As an experiment I tried the reprogramming sequence advised by RAV but just the steps for the two keys I have. With the working key first followed by the malfuctioning key, the system beeped and my key was operational again. Magic! Thanks RAV!! :)