Personally I like the look of the 19 inch (non-chrome clad) rims. That is what I have so I am biased. I also was only able to drive Journeys with the 19 inch rims on the models at the dealership. If you are getting an AWD model, they all have the 19 inch rims.

Looking at ordering a new Journey in the next week? Should I get the standard 17" tires or should I get the Ext. Appearance Group w/ 19" tires? Is handleing better? I have only drove dealer lot vehicles with 19".

Chris

We ordered ours specifically without the 19 inch wheels. Didn't want them. My feeling is the 17 inch wheels give you a slightly more comfortable ride, while the 19 inch wheels may give you a bit better handling in high-speed maneuvers - and I'm buying a family car, not a sports car.

Another factor to consider is the replacement cost. Right now there are only one or two manufacturers for the 19 inch size tires required by the Journey, and the cost is about twice than for the 17's. The 19 inch tires may get a bit cheaper over time, but if you had to repace them right now, you'd pay about $175 each vs. $95 for the 17 inch. Also, most shops are going to charge a premium for mounting the 19 inch.

As for looks, the 17 inch aluminum wheel certainly looks nice - it's not like a cheap steel wheel with a hub cap. From looks perspective, it's primarily a matter of preference, and I personally prefer a nice aluminum wheel with a more or less standard looking tire more than the ultra-low-profile look.

I have the 19" wheels and love the chrome polish look. Ididn't have a choce as we bought an awd. I think the ride is great. I am not looking forward to buying replacements though, and I am wondering about when I buy winter tires as I am in New Hampshire. I was wondering if it would be possible to buy some 17" steel wheels and mount winters on them for my winter set. Not sure if I could run 17"s on a Journey that came with 19"