Rear wiper blade

Just as a public service announcement, be wary of the cheap rear wiper blades available for the Journey. They may not provide full coverage for clearing the rear window as the OEM blade does.

I bought a Trico 12-A Exact Fit rear wiper blade (it is nearly identical in appearance to the OEM), and seriously disappointed in its inability to remain in contact with the glass for the entire stroke of the motor. When it reaches the top 3rd of the wiper path, the highest 3 inches of the blade lose contact with the glass.

OEM is more expensive, but remains in contact for the full wiper blade pass.

yes just had that happen to me on my 2014 I returned the first one and tried a different brand and its no better,havent made it down to the dealership to check on theirs...funny thing is on my 2011 I replaced it with a aftermarket one and didnt have no problem....

The frame for the Trico and OEM are almost identical - the only difference I can find is the texture of the plastic on the top of the frame. The big difference I noticed between the OEM and the Trico is the metal piece of the wiper blade itself, or more accurately, how the rubber is molded around it. The Trico version just has two strips of metal, one on each side, that are the exact same length as the rubber. The OEM wiper has the rubber extend just beyond the length of the metal. As such, the metal sits perfectly inside the rubber and has no room to slip.

I suspect that what is happening is that the metal pieces on the after market blade is slipping on the rubber (which will lead to eventually cutting through it) because there is too much play between them. The OEM blade has no room for movement, and as such the blade maintains contact the way it's supposed to.

i was talking about the rears which i mistakenly thought he was talking about, and yes the front blades have many different options on blades i prefer using bosh beam blades as they last a long time with no problem but they are a little pricey...

Edited by jkeaton

I get Goodyear blades from Costco for mine. Last about 8 months and are 4.99 when they are on sale. Work great. As for the rear, I just went to AutoZone and got one there. Working fine for almost two years, no issue with lifting,etc. Dont have a clue what brand though. Obviously I dont use the rear wiper that much.....

Michelin blades go for $11 each no matter of size here at Costco ,

they last about 6 - 8 months depending on winter wx.

By the way rear wiper on the Cherokee is exactly the same as the DJ.

Edited by bigtsr

I purchased Michelin blades for my Caravan. Unfortunately, I sold it before 6m went by so no idea as to the longevity of them. However, I WAS pleased with them for the short time I had them. Cheapies I had on there before didn't last me 6m. Canadian Tire house brand... my fellow Canadians will understand.

"I've noticed the newer Journeys have purple coolant whole the 2011 models had orange-red coolant. Continuous improvement"

The new color denotes OAT (organic based) specifically designed for newer materials

involved in the engine and associated parts construction.

I doubt that anything other than the coolant changed for 2013, Fca changed over the whole model lineup for the new coolant. The main reason is the change interval is now 10 years. Time will tell if it actually better.

Hank

• 8 months later...
On 4/29/2016 at 2:18 PM, bfurth said:

Just as a public service announcement, be wary of the cheap rear wiper blades available for the Journey. They may not provide full coverage for clearing the rear window as the OEM blade does.

I bought a Trico 12-A Exact Fit rear wiper blade (it is nearly identical in appearance to the OEM), and seriously disappointed in its inability to remain in contact with the glass for the entire stroke of the motor. When it reaches the top 3rd of the wiper path, the highest 3 inches of the blade lose contact with the glass.

OEM is more expensive, but remains in contact for the full wiper blade pass.

DRAT! Once gain I should have checked here before i spent the money. I'm having the exact same problem with a Trico 12-A. All of my blades were so old they were starting to tear at the ends, and the rear was the worst, so I needed new ones badly.

Most auto parts stores around here don't offer a lot of choices when it comes to rear blades so I took the chance. Have you found a brand that works well that I might find on Amazon? Thanks in advance.

I'm wondering if I need a new wiper arm. It feels like the spring tension might be a little light.

Update:

I just tried an ACDelco 8-212A and the results are the same. I'm thinking the arm spring is not supplying enough pressure. Has anyone tried those Sure Wipe add-on springs? It's either that or a whole new wiper arm.

Edited by Spektyr
Update

I just put a brand new MOPAR wiper arm on it and it still does the same thing. I'm beginning to question whether that wiper ever worked right from day one being I never really paid attention to it and I haven't driven in the rain very often. On closer inspection I see that the blade frame doesn't allow the edge to bend enough to match the curvature of the window. It appears they are set up for a flatter window. I wish I hadn't thrown the old blade out so I could make a comparison.

Edited by Spektyr
Correction

on one of the replacement blades i had that didnt wipe at the top ,i noticed all the blades are made of plastic so i tried heating it up with my heat gun so i could get the top 2 inches of it to bend a little but no luck all it did was break,if any of them were made out of metal you could proably  bend it to wipe better but i try not to pay any attension to it. i always didnt like the way it only wipes 3/4 of a wipe, on the caravans their wipers wipes from one side to the other

I'm going to try the Bosch H307 double rocker blade. It's just $10.02 at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-H307-3397011429-Equipment-Replacement/dp/B00ES5Q610/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

I'll post an update when I install it. I hope it works better than these single rocker blades.