Power Steering Hose investigation

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

We had the recall done on both of our 12 Journeys.  On my wife's truck, since the recall has been done, we have noticed that there is a definite growling noise at cold startup and there is a hint of bearing noise under load when accelerating.   On my truck with 1/2 the overall mileage - I have not noticed any noise or growling....

We are taking hers back to the shop to have them check the power steering pump and associated pulleys / bearings, etc...but I wanted to ask if anyone else has experienced new noises on cold startup or under load?  My neighbors 2015 Crossroad is making the same noises my wife's truck is and they just had the recall done as well....

Thanks for you help!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So is there a way to get my journey covered under recall sense it was purchased in AZ and I am now the sorry bastard in Alaska with it. I've replaced 3 lines so far, and I'm even running aviation hydraulic fluid, that's supposed to be thinner than atf. I called my dealer up here, they said it was covered. Waited 2 weeks for them to finally "have time" just to call me and say it's not covered. Obviously it has the same issues. And being that its my gf's car with a 6yr and 8mo kids in it, I'm seriously thinking of selling it. Never in my 14 years of experience have I seen such a problem. Can someone point me in the direction to where I could get some answers??

• 2 weeks later...

So the dealership here needs to contact dodge themselves?? I have a feeling that they searched my vin (just as I did at home) and saw the S08 recall didn't apply to my vehicle, and instead of actually trying to get it covered they just called me and said "sorry but this recall doesn't apply to your vehicle"

The dealership here is horrible. But the next closest one is 350 miles away. At this point it going to need the pump replaced as well from running out of fluid so many times. Plus it's our only vehicle (me, gf & 2 kids) so it's hard to go without it for any periods of time. 

I'm going to call them tomorrow and see what they can do.

Why not call FCA customer support directly?  After all the vehicle was never sold with the proviso that it never leave the original sales territory and this is a design defect that was subject to a recall.

I believe that you can also claim back the money back that you've paid to fix this issue . . . .

Their number: 800-423-6343

17 hours ago, bramfrank said:

Why not call FCA customer support directly?  After all the vehicle was never sold with the proviso that it never leave the original sales territory and this is a design defect that was subject to a recall.

I believe that you can also claim back the money back that you've paid to fix this issue . . . .

Their number: 800-423-6343

Well I gave them a call, and long story short even though I even still have powertrain warrenty left there is nothing they can do for me. They even called the dealership,  who lied and told them they haven't seen my vehicle sense 2009....which makes no sense because it wasn't even made until 2013. I dunno. At this point I am really tempted to sell it and get something else. I'm sick and tired of messing with power steering...Never thought I'd hate a vehicle so much because of something so stupid. 

54 minutes ago, Alaskan_Journey_907 said:

Well I gave them a call, and long story short even though I even still have powertrain warrenty left there is nothing they can do for me. They even called the dealership,  who lied and told them they haven't seen my vehicle sense 2009....which makes no sense because it wasn't even made until 2013. I dunno. At this point I am really tempted to sell it and get something else. I'm sick and tired of messing with power steering...Never thought I'd hate a vehicle so much because of something so stupid. 

In my opinion, as a lay person, I see this as a human factors issue, not a vehicle one.  There's a fix for vehicles in cold weather environments that being supplied at no cost to owners and it is being denied to you.

I'd like to address the issues you reported:

1. I hope you pointed out the inconsistency of the dealer's response.  I also hope that you asked the company to reimburse you for your costs to date and for the cost to put the proper hose on once and for all.

2.  I hope you asked to speak to a supervisor.  If not, it is high time you did.

3. If you still hit the brick wall it will be time to send a registered letter to both the local dealer and to the customer service group putting them on notice that if they don't step up, that your next step will be to have the vehicle repaired to their standards and to use their own recall documentation as the basis for a claim in local small claims court - AND FOLLOW UP - use the 2009 thing as an indication of bad faith, by the way.

I can't believe that you won't find a judge in Alaskan small claims court not sympathetic to your situation, which essentially is that you bought a domestic vehicle improperly designed for environmental conditions experienced within the US, recognised by the manufacturer through it's recall and that remedy denied.

Claim every penny you laid out - you can also ask for damages (keep it reasonable), but small claims courts aren't likely to award any. 

So when I called FCA, basically what I was told is that recalls are vin specific, and that they can't just "add a recall" to a vehicle. Which I understand. I told her that's not what I'm asking. I'm asking for the recall work to be performed on my vehicle as if it was purchased in Alaska. She made the remark of "well this recall didn't effect very many vehicles..." Ya right lady. Only every dodge Journey where it gets -10*F or colder...

She then took the time to put me on hold and call the dealership up here. That's when the person she was on the phone with told her that I'd never brought my vehicle in for diag, and then told her my vehicle hasn't been there since 2009....He was right on 1 part, I didn't bring it there for diag. I did the diagnoses myself. The lady at FCA then tells me that I need to bring it to the dealership and pay for it to be diagnosed. That's even after I tell her I'm a full certified mechanic...  and that's where it bit me in the ass...

Being as I am a mechanic, and I am friends with a few shop owners around town (Bless their souls) every time I've had an issue I've fixed it myself. I do all of my own work, for a couple of reasons. I don't really trust other people, I was able to fix it for next to free, and being as this is the only vehicle for me, my gf & 2 kids I can't just drop it off somewhere for 2 weeks waiting for it to get fixed.

The ONLY reason I want the dealership to ever touch my vehicle is when it's covered under warranty or recall.

And speaking of warranty,  I also found out today that I still have 13 months or 18,000 miles left of powertrain warrenty. Hmmmm that's odd. When I had the gf bring it to the dealer this past summer (same dealer) to see why the transmission was acting up at 30mph they told her the vehicle was completely out of warranty. I made sure to tell the FCA lady that today.

So I'm only out about $100 due to all of the ATF I've had to buy everytime a hose blows. Other than that I'm basically just out a lot of my time, Which if it was for anyone else, wouldn't be free.

Being as FCA won't help me out I think I'll have the owner of the shop that I used multiple times write up a bill as if I was an actual customer, and bring it into the dealership tomorrow and have a chat with a manager. 

If they won't budge than small claims it is.

Edited by Alaskan_Journey_907

I'm sure I won't have a hard time at all finding a judge to rule with me.

When the hose 1st blew and I called the dealership,  the service writer told me my vehicle was covered under the S08 recall, but if I continue to drive it and the pump burns up due to lack of fluid, I will be responsible for that repair. Also he couldn't get me in for 2 weeks.

Long story short, my gf ended up losing her job due to not being able to make it to work everyday. Granted that's not the whole story, but it didn't help things.

I'm definitely jealous of those that have had the recall done. This is the first time I've ever dealt with Dodge, or even owned one, and I will say, I'm never going to own another.

Sad thing is, it doesn't even blue book for what I still owe on it. It's a 2013 and I just rolled 82,000 miles.....1 trip from AZ to AK and then another from AK to AZ and back to AK. Plus a good 50+ miles a day for work for over a year. Lol. Shit adds up quick.

Thank you to those that have been of help. I really appreciate it, and will keep you posted on whether or not I get this resolved before I just torch the f'ing thing....

Who cares where the car was sold...it now drives in AK always.  The recall applies to every other DJ in your city right ? Dodge Cares, or any other customer service person who frequents these forums step up and do the right thing. Get Alaskan Journey 907 the work done like the majority of us have already had done. Shit our DJ never even leaked and the power steering hoses were replaced free of charge. Your gonna try and tell me they could not mark the work as being done on another local  DJ just to  smooth the paper work thru  faster? Like that has not ever happened before to a DJ out of warranty ( when your friend works at a dealer, seen it done) . Fix the man's DJ 

That 'certain VINs' argument is predicated on the fact that there was no reason to recall vehicles located where it doesn't get cold enough tp cause the power steering fluid to get thick enough to allow pressure to build to the burst point - that's THEIR problem, and THEIR decision to cheap out, not yours.  What if you decided to drive up to Montana from Florida during the winter and their design defect caused the hose to burst . . . they would charge YOU, but not someone who lives there?  That's called prejudice.

As you've proved by doing it, people DO move around and they take their vehicles with them when they do.  You have every right as a consumer to expect your vehicle to be reliable no matter where in the US (or Canada) you live.  There is no prohibition or warning in the owners manuals against moving and it isn't as if you shipped the vehicle to Antarctica - Alaska is part of the US and the factory coverage does not exclude that state, so as such their corporate obligations extend to your vehicle.

Then, of course there's the fact that this has failed a number of times for you . . . . . 

Call them back and explain to the call center dweeb WHY they limited the recall to 'certain VINs' and PLEASANTLY INSIST that they repair the vehicle, that they educate the local dealer on what the warranty terms are and that the refund you every penny paid to date for any service that SHOULD have been covered by the factory but wasn't, including those burst power steering hoses. 

Get a supervisor on the phone, because the first level is limited to reading from the script and you can be certain that there's nothing in the book that includes the phrase 'we f*cked up, sorry'.

I'd explain that if they don't you will be starting the process with the courts and that not only will they lose, but that it will cost them more in cash than what you are out of pocket (that story about your GF losing her job may get you some extra $$$ too).  

And if they continue to refuse . . . . follow though and DO IT.  These corporations base their decisions on the fact that fewer than 1% of the people will actually take the issue to the conclusion - insurance companies are the worst, but car manufacturers aren't far behind.

Persistence will get you the compensation you deserve.  In the end one unsatisfied client undoes the goodwill of a hundred satisfied ones (likely a lot  more in this era of social media).

I've sent a PM to dodgecares, who is a corporate representative that sticks his/her head in here from time to time.  Maybe they can kick some sense into the idiots at headquarters. 

why while waiting on corporate to make up their minds, why not buy the new hoses and have them put them on or let them do it and then recoup your losses back after they make their decision one way or another you have to get it fixed and had you done that to begin with your girlfriend wouldn't have lost her job. i know you and or others will berate me for suggesting this but some times you have to cut your losses and get on with your life.    ALSO you really do have to let the dealership check it out for a diagnostic as they cant really go on what the customer tells them no matter how long you have been a mechanic,,,,,, not trying to throw gas on a lit fire......   hope everything works out for you.

It still has full coverage ! Then what's the issue... the fact that they have not yet diagnosed the problem themselves ? Then make the time to get it in there and then also submit the the receipts for the previously purchased hoses. Unfortunately your time to change parts yourself was on you but maybe get a receipt from that shop to compensate the use of the shop equipment etc... Most dealers have a ride program that will take you home / work then pick you up again once work is done. Pain in the ass maybe but if your DJ has full coverage no cash out of your pocket only time.  Money is tigh...been there but no working vehicle makes money even tighter.Good Luck.