New safety recall recieved in mail yesterday

Just received my second notice saying that the parts are in! 3 days late as I had my done last Wednesday!

They also have to check the headlight harness, besides fix the ABS ground. The notice says that the fix can take up to 2 hours.

Edited by dhh3

Journeyman425 How could it take 1.5 hours to apply die-electric grease and a piece of heat shrink to a terminal ?

That's the easier part. The recall also involves removing the wiper cowl to gain access to the ABS module. The harness connector there has to be inspected and dielectric grease applied if there is no corrosion present at it.

Got my letter earlier this month. Coincidently my lights had come on the week before while I was out of town for Thanksgiving. M6 brother works for a Machanic that ran the lights and it shows the right front sensor. When I called the number listed on the recall they said to take it in to a local dealer and have a diagnotice ran. The lady at the dealership was all "the sensors have nothing to do with this recall" and shoved my letter in my hands and that was it. I told them I need to have the diagnostic ran but they just kept saying it has nothing to do with it. Now nearly I got the second letter and made an appointment with a different dealership that will be almoat 2 weeks away! This notice says the fix is 2 hrs but they say I have to leave my vehicle there at 1:30 in the afternoon and it will be 24 hrs at the earliest!! I have no other mode of transportation and the rep I spoke to on the recall notice tried to call and couldn't get anyone to talk to about it, she said hopefully they will call back in a few days!!! WTH kind of customer service?!

I got my letter, but then checked the vin and rellized it for the Journey I no longer owned. Guess the person who bought it isn't getting the notification. Lol

There is a card on the notification letter that you need to fill in, and mail back to FCA as you no longer own the vehicle. FCA can then send the new owner the recall. I do not think that the possibility of losing one's ABS deserves an LOL.

There is a card on the notification letter that you need to fill in, and mail back to FCA as you no longer own the vehicle. FCA can then send the new owner the recall. I do not think that the possibility of losing one's ABS deserves an LOL.

I already threw the card out, didn't realize I should have mailed it back. I didn't mean to to be funny towards the new owner, meant it more like that I thought it was funny that I didn't get the recall on my current vehicle only one I sold.

Took a peek in the showroom. Holy Cow! Prices are up. Loaded Cherokee Trail Hawk. 40k. OUCH. Loaded Renegade 39k And that don't include taxes,

The Canadian dollar is down, and they build them in US dollars (actually Mexican Pesos, I suppose), so our prices up here have to be adjusted to suit.

Edited by bramfrank

I got my letter, but then checked the vin and rellized it for the Journey I no longer owned. Guess the person who bought it isn't getting the notification. Lol

I doesn't matter whether you send the card back or not. It's only purpose is to stop the recall notices from coming to you.

That you get them simply means that whoever bought your vehicle hasn't bothered register his vehicle with FCA - his problem, not yours since you probably don't know who it is anyway.

When (if) he ever takes the vehicle to an FCA dealer for service they'll catch the outstanding recall. At least it isn't as if the vehicle is going to blow up this time around.

• 1 month later...

Hello from Europe,

My Freemont is affected by this recall - I only found out by checking the Mopar site. I have asked FCA when the recall will be carried out in Europe to be told that while it does affect my vehicle no plans for a recall are available outside of N. American markets.

Either a) FCA reckons we Europeans don't need ABS anyway or b) they give less of a toss about their European customers (probably because we are less likely to sue).

Either way, I'm pissed.

I accept the likelihood of failure is low but nonetheless losing any braking ability on a 2.2 ton vehicle is less than cool.

What's more annoying is that the safety recall was first published in October and I bought the car in November (I only found the safety recall later - as I didn't check first because I sort of assumed that you wouldn't sell a car with a known manufacturer fault - at least without notifying the customer!)

I have tried to get any sort of reply from FCA Poland as to when they will resolve this problem - with side questions as to why they care less about us Europeans than N Americans, to no avail - to the point where I am already escalating it. Does anyone have any Points of Contact who might be able to help me find out the answers?

The reason it is only in North America is because it was mandated by the NHTSA and Industry Canada, and is not a voluntary FCA program - I guess they figure that this is not a safety issue, so they are only executing the program where they are forced to.

I suggest you might want to lobby your local variant of the US and Canadian agencies and ask that they mandate FCA to perform the safety recall on vehicles sold in the EU.

Here's another.

Manufacturer: FCA US LLC
Number of vehicles affected: 112,001
Report Date: January 29, 2016
Issue: FCA US LLC (Chrysler) is recalling certain model year 2009 Dodge Journey vehicles manufactured December 31, 2007, to August 31, 2008, 2008-2009 Dodge Grand Caravan and Chrysler Town and Country vehicles manufactured June 18, 2007, to August 31, 2008, and 2009 Volkswagen Routan vehicles manufactured August 11, 2008, to August 31, 2008. In the affected vehicles, the air bag control units may corrode and fail. If the air bag control unit fails, the air bags may not deploy in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of occupant injury. Additionally, the air bags may inadvertently deploy, increasing the risk of a crash.
Solution: Chrysler will notify owners, and dealers will replace the air bag control unit, free of charge. The manufacturer has not yet provided a notification schedule.
Contact: Owners may contact Chrysler customer service at 1-800-853-1403. Chrysler’s number for this recall is S07.

• 2 weeks later...