New Recall announced for 2011-2015 2.4 Litre Journeys

This is an advance communication to the dealers - the recall itself is not out yet so hold off on calling your dealer for an appointment just yet. If you own a 2.4 litre Journey, then watch your mailbox for a notice in the future.

07/02/2015

New Safety Recall Advanced Communication – R32070215

FCA US LLC announced a safety recall on certain 2011 through 2015 model year (JC) Dodge Journey vehicles equipped with a 2.4L engine.

Some of the above vehicles may have engine beauty covers that could detach from the engine and come in contact with the catalytic converter. If the engine beauty cover remains in contact with the catalytic converter, underhood smoke and/or a fire may occur without warning.

FCA will conduct a voluntary safety recall on all involved vehicles to install a revised engine beauty cover mounting system.

Dealers will be notified of the launch of this safety recall by way of established methods used in the past.

We ask that you please take the time to ensure that your personnel are aware of this communication and are prepared to execute a customer friendly process for inquiries on involved vehicles.

Customer Services Field Operations

FCA US LLC

What is this "engine beauty cover"? Is it simply the same as the engine cover you see right away as you open the hood? Where is the catalytic converter in the journey?

Yes it is. The converter on the 2.4 is on the back of the engine behind the beauty cover. The cover could become dislodged from its mounting point and rest on the converter which could melt the plastic.

Feel free to remove the beauty cover and store it until the recall is announced if you are concerned about potential danger outlined in the recall, or if yours feels like it will not stay on securely. The cover performs no critical function to the operation of the engine; it is simply a dress-up item.

Yes it is. The converter on the 2.4 is on the back of the engine behind the beauty cover. The cover could become dislodged from its mounting point and rest on the converter which could melt the plastic.

Feel free to remove the beauty cover and store it until the recall is announced if you are concerned about potential danger outlined in the recall, or if yours feels like it will not stay on securely. The cover performs no critical function to the operation of the engine; it is simply a dress-up item.

Good to know. Thanks a lot.

How does it come off? Are there any screws or bolts? I tried pulling it off but it is very sturdy and I did not want to break anything. Hard to imagine it could detach by itself as the recall states. I found the catalytic converter too and it looks like the cover has to fall behind the engine a pretty good distance to make contact with it. You would probably hear all sorts of grinding or rattling sounds if the cover does detach as it makes its way behind the engine to where the catalytic converter is. I'm assuming the recall is not for all 2011-2015 2.4L Journeys and only applies to some identified as having a certain manufacturing or assembly defect?

Edited by cerjed

. I'm assuming the recall is not for all 2011-2015 2.4L Journeys and only applies to some identified as having a certain manufacturing or assembly defect?

Your assumption is probably correct. It's too early to tell how many vehicles are involved at this point. Once the recall is officially launched by FCA then there will be a figure published for the number of vehicles involved. Everyone who is included in the recall will be notified.

Edited by Journeyman425

But, then all you would see would be the ugly engine without its Beauty Cover. I don't have a clue what my engine looks like!

Edited by dhh3

My guess? Someone who is supposed to know what they're doing didn't put the cover back on correctly after removing it. Even though it's just a tension fit on a few pegs, it's a solid fit. There is a LOT of room behind it for it to move if it did come off.

There is quite a bit of water that builds up on my engine cover when I wash the DJ. If you're going to.drive with it off, at least put the cover on when you wash it. The ignition coil wires could be exposed to water.

There is quite a bit of water that builds up on my engine cover when I wash the DJ. If you're going to.drive with it off, at least put the cover on when you wash it. The ignition coil wires could be exposed to water.

Are you certain that it is the beauty cover getting wet and not the cowl at the base of the windshield? There shouldn't be any water on the engine after a wash. Also, there aren't any ignition cables. The coils sit directly on the plugs.

The windshield cowl doesn't do a great job diverting all of the water away when I rinse (sheeting with the hose fully opened and I know that spigot gets at least a few gallons a minute). I usually have to dry off the back right depression on the engine cover. Also, you'll note I did not say "ignition cables," but rather "coil wires." the DOHC configuration combined with water not always flowing just right would lead to water pooling around the bottom of the coil packs. There is an increased chance of exposing the electrical wiring to water as well.

Edited by bfurth

• 4 weeks later...

The recall notice is now showing up under my Mopar Owner Connect login. The recall number is R32 (NHTSA 15V-431). No parts are showing available for it yet. I'm interested to see what they did as far as a modification to hold it on stronger.

Because I was bored while changing my oil this weekend, I took the engine cover off (and got a chance to clean out some minor dirt buildup from around the oil fill cap). It was marginally difficult to get all four pegs to seat properly in the cover. I go back to my original assessment - the only reason this is a recall is because some numbskull couldn't figure out if all four posts were properly attached, and they didn't pull the cover back up just to test the installation. Once it's in, it's not going anywhere. If you don't push the cover back down fully, it could come off pretty easily (especially on unpaved roads, where the first reported instance occurred).

Because I was bored while changing my oil this weekend, I took the engine cover off (and got a chance to clean out some minor dirt buildup from around the oil fill cap). It was marginally difficult to get all four pegs to seat properly in the cover. I go back to my original assessment - the only reason this is a recall is because some numbskull couldn't figure out if all four posts were properly attached, and they didn't pull the cover back up just to test the installation. Once it's in, it's not going anywhere. If you don't push the cover back down fully, it could come off pretty easily (especially on unpaved roads, where the first reported instance occurred).

I don't have the 2.4, but my wife's Avenger does and I would agree 100% with this assessment. That thing is snug if installed properly.

• 3 weeks later...