Recall R03 New Ignition Switch & Key FOB's...

So I was looking at the SaferCar.gov website when I saw the recall for the ignition switches that was mailed out in September of last year. But when reading it in detail, I see where Chrysler has expanded and modified the recall. The recall covers Dodge Journey vehicles manufactured June 29, 2007 to June 17, 2010. If I'm correct, the recall originally called for a stiffer detent to be added to the ignition switch to prevent it from changing to the off position. However, after reading the newest recall it states that a second notice is about to be mailed out in April 2015 and it states that the entire ignition switch is being replaced as well as new key Fob's Free of Charge.

Here is the link to the website:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues

Just an update, even though I knew the answer, I called my dealer and asked my service adviser about the recall and she said that she didn't know anything about keys being replaced. She said they find out about three days before I do, and then there'll be a back-order for all the parts required. So I guess if you're affected by this recall, don't get in a hurry, but the good news is that we might be getting new key Fob's.....

UPDATE: I just had my R03 Recall done yesterday, it took about two hours to complete. They replaced the WIN Module and programmed two new key fobs. The fobs appear to be the new style (my old one had a separate battery door on the back and the release for the valet key is slightly different), hopefully these fobs will function better than the original. I was told in the past that you had to turn in two working key fobs in order to get two new ones, but I only gave them one key fob when they took the car and they never asked for the second one. As far as I know you cannot reprogram the old one, so I'm not sure what good it'll do me...I'm just saying that was my experience. The dealer told me that they were just made aware of the expanded recall and that for the first time in history, parts showed up before the recall was announced to the customers. It's actually not officially been sent out to customers yet, although you should be getting your notice soon. There are seven different "kits" for affected vehicles (I guess the biggest difference is the options available on the remote) mine has the remote start option. Also the new WIN Module is a lot tighter when turning the key and when removing the key, it'll take a little getting used to it.

UPDATE 2: I just received my recall notice in the mail today, and after reading it I discovered that in addition to replacing the two original key fobs, Chrysler will also replace any additional key fobs you may have purchased. So for those of us who bought an extra one just to have a spare and to also be able to program our own (you must have two working fobs), we should be able to get another new key fob. What the notice doesn't specify is whether they will only replace key fobs purchased from Dodge or any we may have bought on eBay....I'll keep you updated.

Edited by brwengel

• 2 weeks later...

could someone please tell me a place in the usa that I may be able to order a airbag clockspring for 2010 journey as the price here in Canada is just over 700.00 and that's crazy.

thanks

If you have a part number, I'll check a few places for you....

Happy Motoring...

• 2 months later...

I had this recall done with my 2010 T&C (same recall and part numbers as the 2010 Journey). I had a third key I purchased from a 3rd party retailer, but it had a Chrysler part number on it (oddly enough, it was the 2008/2009 6-button remote that I was using on a 2010) - I needed a third key because one of my original two was cosmetically damaged, but still worked, and I wanted to ensure that I would never be without two fully functioning keys. I had to talk to two different people at the dealership (the first wasn't as well versed in this recall), but the service manager assured me that I would have as many fully functioning keys after the recall as I did before. When I picked up my van, they had 3 new keys waiting for me.

If you have 3 (or more) functioning keys that at least look like they came from Dodge/Chrysler, they will give back to you as many fully functioning keys as you had. If you had 3 (lock/unlock/panic) or 4 (remote start) button key, you will get the same thing, but a new part number. The new keys are MUCH easier to change the batteries.

All of your emergency keys should be returned to you. They aren't re-cutting anything, and copied keys are not perfect (they may work, but good luck copying it again and having that work).

Edited by bfurth

I agree with bramfrank when he mentioned not hanging large key chains from the ignition switch, I just went through the whole GM ignition switch debacle (I'm sure you have heard of it) with my Saturn Sky in which GM asked people to not have huge key chains hanging from their ignition switch. It's only common sense especially for guys who have no purse and carry their keys in their pockets.

Terry

I got the notice last week. Guess what, dealer has no parts. Still haven't done the first recall because.....no parts! What a pile of crap.

Well the first recall has been out for a few years and they never had parts for '08/'09 models. The stronger detents were available for newer models and now this recall finally fixes the remaining models. The reason I tried to give everyone a heads up before the notices went out, was that dealers actually one of every kit, and there are seven different kits. My dealer told me that this was the first time he has ever seen Chrysler send parts in advance of the notices being mailed. Good luck finding a dealer with parts.....

Edited by brwengel

It shouldn't be more than a 2 hour repair from the dealer. Call them in advance to schedule a time and to make sure they have the right parts in stock. Take any FOBIKs (that can start the vehicle) you have with you - they should replace them all (I have a 2010 T&C under the same recall and got 3 FOBIKs replaced, no charge to me).

I just have the recall done. They've replaced WIN and ignition switch. however they didn't replace my FOB's as they said it's not mandatory if they do not change the whole ingition just the "outside" of it. Should they replace them or not? Everything works fine with the two FOBs I have, so I just wonder if its worth fighting for (my FOBs are in perfect condition - I've just made new ones two weeks ago)

While I see you have an '09 model and you live in Europe, have you received your recall notice yet, or perhaps checked the wording on the Dodge website? Certain model years are getting a stronger detent added, while the '09's should have the entire Win Module replaced, which then required new Fob's since they can't be reprogrammed. It sounds like they only installed the stronger detent.

I can tell you that there is still some confusion at the dealers with this recall. I'm still trying to convince them that they need to replace my extra fob. The dealer thinks I have to contact Chrysler for reimbursement. I'll just have to educate them.

Good Luck with your recall.

P.S. The new Key Fobs are better than the older style (the new style don't have a separate battery compartment door on the rear). The old ones suffer from battery contacts not making contact....

I just have the recall done. They've replaced WIN and ignition switch. however they didn't replace my FOB's as they said it's not mandatory if they do not change the whole ingition just the "outside" of it. Should they replace them or not? Everything works fine with the two FOBs I have, so I just wonder if its worth fighting for (my FOBs are in perfect condition - I've just made new ones two weeks ago)

If they replaced the WIN, then they should have replaced the FOBIKs. R03 recall is for the entire WIN AND the FOBIKs. It's not just a stronger detent - they tried that with the first recall and it didn't hold up over time. That's why they had to issue a new recall and replace the entire module.

NHTSA 14V373000 (US federal government investigation resulting in Chrysler recall R03) indicates SPECIFICALLY that the WIN and FOBIKs are to be replaced by Chrysler. Being in Europe may change things for you (it shouldn't, but who knows?), so make sure you get the exact recall in writing (Chrysler/Fiat should have mailed you a notice).

I bought DJ one month ago. Before that it was used in Germany and I cannot tell if the previous owner had ever contacted Dodge dealer for recalls. So I want to FIAT and asked them to check if my DJ has some recalls - they said about two of them (one with the side doors wires, second one with ignition). Both done. It apears they've just changed the detent and WIN.

As I believe recalls are 'forced' on dealers because of serious safety issues. So is it some kind dangerous to drive without the whole ignition being replaced?

Funny thing about the FOBIKs - Both of my FOBs have the seperate battery compartment door… However they do not have PANIC button.

The issue is exacerbated by having relatively heavy weights hanging off of the FOBIK. Sure, I guess it's possible for the FOBIK (if it is in the ignition with nothinn attached to it) could turn from RUN to ACC given a sever enough jolt, but it's MUCH more likely if you had some weight (lots of keys, keychains, etc.) hanging off of it. When I bought my T&C and had problems with the TPMS sensors, the dealership I bought it from advised me to take everything off the keychain except for my other car key and remote. I did, and I never had a problem. It was a little obnoxious at first to have to remember to grab my car keys and grab my house keys every time I needed to go somewhere, but I've gotten used to it.

• 4 weeks later...

Just another update on this never ending topic. After I had my R03 recall performed, I tried to program and new spare key and to my amazement you are no longer able to perform this procedure yourself. I assume this has something to do with the new Win Module. I'm searching for the reason, but have not received any answers yet....I'll keep you posted.

Sorry to hear about your troubles, but they have millions of vehicles affects by the recall. I'm not taking up for the manufacturers, but it's just not possible to provide that many parts for a recall, while still keeping up with production parts. I'm sure NHTSB gives the manufacturer at least a year depending on how many million vehicles are affected by a recall. Someone has to be first, and someone is always going to be the last person too.....

Good Luck

What is the point of putting out a recall they can't fix? They never had parts for the last recall on the ignition switch. My car is working fine, I want it documented I tried to get it fixed and the Chrysler could not supply parts...again. It's not like I going to sue them or anything, but if something happens I don't want to be holding the bag for repairs.

It's a recall. You will never be asked to pay for the recall repair. If they don't have a new WIN module for you, at least take everything else off the fobik whe you use the vehicle, or remove the emergency key from the fobik when you get in. Then, keep.asking the dealer when they will get parts in.

Just another update on this never ending topic. After I had my R03 recall performed, I tried to program and new spare key and to my amazement you are no longer able to perform this procedure yourself. I assume this has something to do with the new Win Module. I'm searching for the reason, but have not received any answers yet....I'll keep you posted.

I had recently had my recall completed also. Just bought the vehicle used, found the recall, gave the dealer one beat up key, received 2 new style keys. Went to ebay to purchase extra 3rd key, didn't fit into ignition hole. The tabs on the sides were slightly wider and prevented the 3rd fob from pluggin in. I used a dremil tool to slightly cut the tabs narrower. Key fob now plugs in and turns but will not accept programming as the procedure was stated previously, (and was included with my key purchase - guaranteed to work with my vehicle).

My conclusion is the recall for this fob was more than only structural for the socket but was also programing changes - perhaps for better reliability and/or security - so these aftermarket 3rd party extra keys will not work after this recall has been completed. Bummer. I don't want to pay the dealer a high price for a 3rd key. I may zip tie the extra cut key under the frame somewhere and forget programming a 3rd key fob.

Any better solutions?

• 3 weeks later...