Front End "Clunk" while Braking Over Bumps

I wouldn't consider the tie rod clunk to be unsafe in any manner. I have a very slight clunk when going over speedbumps. Have had it for probably 50k miles or so. It's so slight that I have to have the windows open to hear it.

I don't want to deal with dealer visits just over a noise. It isn't hurting anything on the vehicle. But, I guess I'm not as picky as other people.

No control arm bushings yet. I'm too scared to take my vehicle to Chicago for 3 days with my children in it. Too much highway driving for me with a possible suspension problem. The dealership has made me feel like a whine ass about finding the bushing noises in the first place.

We are going to ask the dealership GM for a rental since our car isn't more than 3 months post sale OR 23,000 miles. Doubt it will happen though. Sucks well prob rent a car due to lack of faith in the dealerships dodge technician.

Bushings being worn aren't going to kill anyone, it is just a little noisier...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just stopped by the forum and notice there was a bit a of activity on this thread. Just thought I'd fill everyone in since it's been a few months since I replied.

I'm actually taking the Journey back to the dealership today for them to look at for the 5th time. Thankfully, I've been working with DodgeCares and a great dealership that have been insanely cool to work with. We're still having issues with the noise on the LH side of the vehicle and it's getting progressively worse. To date we've had the following work done by two different dealerships to try and fix the issue:

New front brake pads

New sway bar bushings

New LH control arm

New LH strut assembly

The last attempt to fix actually seemed to work a bit. The dealer removed the strut asy and greased the heck out of everything. They focused on a strut isolator which seemed "dry" so they used a heavy duty silicone spray to see if it would help. It did eliminate the obnoxious noise you could hear but didn't completely eliminate it.

And for those reading thinking we're nitpicking. The sound is pronounced enough that people driving with us have commented on it and it's also loud outside of the vehicle. Since the issue arose at 17k the front end has felt loose and the vehicle can't keep an alignment to save it's life. I'm told that everything is torqued to specs, so I don't know what to do. This isn't an isolated issue either. We've had 3 rentals that were Journey's and all have done the exact same thing (one had 6k miles on it). Needless to say, I'm not holding my breath that it'll get resolved. If we leased the car, we wouldn't be complaining but we spend 30k on a car to transport my kid around and it should't sound like this with only 25k miles on it.

Thanks - unfortunately that doesn't apply to my wifes RT because it's a 2014 and the TSB only covers vehicles built during a certain period. I even had my Dodge rep look up and TSBs and he said there was only a Tech Tip for the mechanics to call corporate engineering if they were replacing a strut isolator.

• 7 months later...

I have noted exactly the same thing on MY 2015 Fiat Freemont (EU version of the Journey). I have that inspected by the dealer and they found nothing wrong. It is a bit difficult to replicate this sound though, it occurs only in some situations, it is the best audible when you slightly brake and then go over some imbalance or bump on the road. The sound as such does not bother me much, as long as there is no issue with safety etc. I will rather have the dealer to re check this when I go for the ABS recall next week.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Gang

Doesn't seem to be a solution to this front end issues... I have the same issues with noise and they say all is fine... but we all know it isn't.. I am going to a different dealer in the next week or so to have this looked at.. My normal dealer here seems to alwasy push off things unless it's a waranty item and I need to pay for labour... IE- Rear toe links require changing and I must pay the Alignment costs because it isn't covered...

Next thread to find here is one on the tranny.. going in for the 6 th time for: hesitation, clunking, hard shifting.. and it's had the torque converter already replaced.....

Hi JRodMTB,

I am DodgeCACares U.S. counterpart. Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this concern. Is your vehicle currently with you or at the dealership? If you would like to PM me your VIN, I can look into this further for you.

Hi DodgeCares,

I have the same issue. My struts, and end links have been replaced and dealer has still not resolved the issue.

I agree with the statement that there is no long term solution to the front end clunk. People have tried many thing with various levels of success. Eventually the clunk returns even if it seems to be fixed.

I've heard that brand new Journeys will sometimes clunk. To me it's just a mild annoyance. The handling is fine...it just makes a crappy sound.

I've read this as well.. Just not to happy after paying just under $30,000 for a brand new car to sound like it should be on vegas vacation when leaving my driveway or going over bumps within the first 5000 miles. This shouldn't be acceptable.

I'm with ya animal mother. I worked in Detroit. So just some symbol of the old big three is all I can do. I've had good luck with most. They just put a "stop driving or selling" on 60,000 Subaru's for potential of complete loss of steering.

http://money.cnn.com/2016/05/13/autos/subaru-recall/

• 1 month later...

I'm having this issue with my 2013 Dodge Journey. It's been in the shop twice as it made creaking noises going over bumps. After the first "fix" it started making an awful clicking/popping sound every time we turn the steering wheel. It's loud! They said they've replaced everything it could be, but the"fixes" only last a day or less. When I turn my wheel while turning, there is a clicking sound while turning and straightening the steering wheel back out. Peoe that ride in the car with me make comments about the popping noises while turning. It is coming from the front if the car, not the steering wheel. Unfortunately, we are now over 36,000 miles. We had it repaired twice before 36,000. So frustrating! Is it safe to drive? The Dodge dealership seems uncertain of why it is happening. They had my car for 9 days during the last "repair".

I'm having this issue with my 2013 Dodge Journey. It's been in the shop twice as it made creaking noise going over bumps. After the first "fix" it starting making an awful clicking/popping sound every time we turn the steering wheel. It's loud! They said they've replaced everything it could be, but the"fixes" only last a day or less. When I turn my wheel while turning, there is a clicking sound while turning and straightening the steering wheel back out. Peoe that ride in the car with me make comments about the popping noises while turning. It is coming from the front if the car, not the steering wheel. Unfortunately, we are now over 36,000 miles. We had it repaired twice before 36,000. So frustrating! Is it safe to drive? The Dodge dealership seems uncertain of why it is happening. They had my car for 9 days during the last "repair".

Edited by KS2002

I'm having this issue with my 2013 Dodge Journey. It's been in the shop twice as it made creaking noise going over bumps. After the first "fix" it starting making an awful clicking/popping sound every time we turn the steering wheel. It's loud! They said they've replaced everything it could be, but the"fixes" only last a day or less. When I turn my wheel while turning, there is a clicking sound while turning and straightening the steering wheel back out. Peoe that ride in the car with me make comments about the popping noises while turning. It is coming from the front if the car, not the steering wheel. Unfortunately, we are now over 36,000 miles. We had it repaired twice before 36,000. So frustrating! Is it safe to drive? The Dodge dealership seems uncertain of why it is happening. They had my car for 9 days during the last "repair".

Without the vehicle in front of me, I cannot comment on if it is safe to drive. Have another dealer or an independent shop perform an inspection for you if you cannot inspect the front suspension components yourself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

For those having issues with the clunking or squeaking sound over speed bumps, pot holes, drive ways etc.  Have the dealer (or do it yourself) spray the lower control arm bushings with a high quality lubricant.   It's not the isolators, it's not the sway bar bushings.  It's the lower control arm bushings.  Not sure if there is a TSB issued on this yet but it'll take care of the issue.  

On 10/14/2016 at 3:10 PM, JRodMTB said:

For those having issues with the clunking or squeaking sound over speed bumps, pot holes, drive ways etc.  Have the dealer (or do it yourself) spray the lower control arm bushings with a high quality lubricant.   It's not the isolators, it's not the sway bar bushings.  It's the lower control arm bushings.  Not sure if there is a TSB issued on this yet but it'll take care of the issue.  

+1 on that - I'm inclined to agree with JRod - my Journey was squeaking as described above and I'd learned to ignore it over time. However, I replaced the control arm recently due to a worn bush and hey presto, squeaking gone.  As he says, I think some lubricant would have solved it, so I wouldn't go and fit a new arm just for that.

• 4 weeks later...

2014 dodge journey

noticed at about 23000 clubk from lt side of car over bumps

again at 40000

did not realize that when i was in having routine oil changes done and mentioned this the dealership had not even loomed at it as requested and did not document!

now at 81000 its a bushings issue. Note: never assume your service advisor documented your concerns, ask to see what they wrote!

The 2014 seems to have a theme of clunking at around 21000 to 23000 km!

this should be a recall!!!! Sooo frustrated with this

grrr