Can't Unlock Maps

Happened to us today. Calling the dealer. My wife was on her way to Detroit. Glad it happened before she left so she is not stranded without directions in a bad part of town...

Why are people getting them replaced more than once? Why is there not a recall? I can only imagine how mad I'd be if it happened after the warranty ran out.

Why are people getting them replaced more than once? Why is there not a recall? I can only imagine how mad I'd be if it happened after the warranty ran out.

Stuff happens, and this is supposedly due to a software bug. They claim to have found the problem and 'the fix' is to update the firmware.

To this end recall R65 was issued for vehicles with the latest radio and bad software to update that software and/or replace the radio with one that has the updated software should it be that the radio comes in for the recall with issues.

I believe that the issue goes further back (and forward) and I have heard of a couple of owners who suffered the 'can't unlock maps' issue after the recall was supposedly performed (though unless I look at the affected radios I choose to believe that the dealer may not have properly executed the recall.

On the other hand, the radios need not actually be swapped. They can be repaired in the field.

One serious issue in the text of the R65 document is that it implies that the fix is a one-time thing.

If indeed it doesn't correct the situation I'm certain FCA will step up But it may require some coercion.

It's not a safety issue, so no recall.

But there IS a recall. That's what R65 is.

Edited by bramfrank

I called the dealer and extended warranty claims and explained my radio was replaced with a 2014 radio and now this only failed. All fell on deaf ears. Certainly appears Chrysler doesn't want to claim all these failures is a problem.

So......now they issue recalls for non-safety related things when we have been lead to believe all along that recalls are only for safety issues. Learn something new every day. Carry on. :yup:

Recalls are not only for safety issues - mandated recalls (one's ordered my the NHTSA) are, but the manufacturer can recall vehicles for any reason and they clearly felt that they weren't going to win any popularity contests by ignoring the issue . . . . . though they are still obvious screwing around with situations like MSP1330's

I called the dealer and extended warranty claims and explained my radio was replaced with a 2014 radio and now this only failed. All fell on deaf ears. Certainly appears Chrysler doesn't want to claim all these failures is a problem.

Actually, what they've done is to recall the vehicles and yours isn't among those that have been recalled, even though what they REALLY were recalling are radios in the build range of the recalled vehicles . . . . . and they ignored vehicles with the right radio that are outside of the build range, I suspect that if you had a quiet, patient chat with someone at Customer Service at FCA and explained that they put a radio from the range of defective radios into your vehicle (and explained how you know that it is in the range of 'bad radios') they might relent

If you checked and if the navigator software your radio is running version CTP13, CTP14 or CTP15 then you do have one of the recalled radios.

If you'd like to repair it yourself PM me and we can discuss the procedure and you can decide whether you'd like to save the $100 and spend the time to 'do it'.

Recalls are not only for safety issues - mandated recalls (one's ordered my the NHTSA) are, but the manufacturer can recall vehicles for any reason and they clearly felt that they weren't going to win any popularity contests by ignoring the issue . . . . . though they are still obvious screwing around with situations like MSP1330's

Thank you for the clarification.

• 2 weeks later...

Having the same issue in a 2014 Journey I purchased recently from Carmax.

I am looking to explore a fix before just taking it in to replace the radio.

Other than the Nav problem I love the vehicle.

• Official Dodge Support

Having the same issue in a 2014 Journey I purchased recently from Carmax.

I am looking to explore a fix before just taking it in to replace the radio.

Other than the Nav problem I love the vehicle.

Have you had the chance to take it to the dealer for diagnosis? – Kevin T, Social Connect Team

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: I had the radio replaced at the dealer with the new refurbished radio and paid the $100 deductible on the extended warranty. I then called FCA customer care and spoke to a rep who took my complaint. Several days later I received a call from FCA and was told that that $100 + tax was going to be refunded. Case closed.......for now......hopefully forever

Well it looks like our 2015 Journey with 15.6 k miles has joined the club. Luckily ours lasted a whole 15 months before it took a ship. Our biggest break is we only lease Chrysler products.Saves on buying a service contract. We do have a safety recall on the ABS so maybe we can combine both issues. We dumped our Town & Country because that was starting to have issues too. That was a 2012 with 33k miles. Blind spot sensor and both side door handles quit working. Got the sensor fixed and there were two prices showing on the work order $860 and $1030. Went to get an oil change and drove out with this Journey. Been a good vehicle with no other issues till now. Might lease another one.

We had both problems fixed in March. The ABS issue was a broken wire due to our last heavy snow storm. The radio had to be replaced and they messed up my Sirius subscription which took me some time to straighten out. The dealer or someone registered the radio days before it was installed. Sirius didn't know who done it. lol Might lease another one if the prices are decent.

• 2 weeks later...

I own a crossroad journey 2015 and it didnt have any navigation , anyone can assist me on how can i upload it?

The RB5 is unique in that it not only is a GPS-based navigator, but it also implements 'dead reckoning' locating, allowing it to remain accurate when satellites are not in view (in tunnels, garages and in the downtown core of cities, where large buildings shield satellites from view).

The navigation option is not a software feature. It cannot be DOWNloaded. Since you have the 8.4 inch display you will need to replace only the TGM (radio module) with one that has the navigation hardware.

The exchange is simple. It requires about 10 minutes and if you are at all handy; you can do it yourself. You will also need an unlock code for your vehicle's VIN to enable the radio (your dealer can generate it or there are people and sites that can do this). If your SiruisXM is active you'll also have to contact them to transfer your subscription to the new radio.

Buying the radio module as a spare part from a dealer is an expensive ($2000) proposition, but you can find them 'out there' for between $600 and $1200. And, as it happens, I have one available for purchase - you can find my offer in the classified section of the board if your want to follow through.

Edited by bramfrank

Hello all! I had the R65 recall completed on May 19th my Dodge Journey Crossroad is now 15 months old and while I was on vacation this week I got the notice "can't unlock maps" so the recall software does not fix the problem. I'll be calling the dealership tomorrow. Ugh this sucks. Really want them to replace my RB5 with RA4 so I can have the update for iPhone with Siri. But I was told they can't do it because the connectors r different. My iPhone 6s has not worked with the uconnect vocie dial since I got the phone which sucks!

Your dealer is right. The 8.4A does not work in the Journey. My Galaxy S7 works just fine with voice dialing and with name display and text messaging as well as streaming music. So does my Lumia 920 under Windows Phone 10. Apple phones are popular, but less than optimal.

The obvious question to ask is what the dealer actually did when he executed the recall . . . . before you bring it back in can I ask that you check the software versions for both the radio and the navigator?

The radio should be running version 15.09.D1 and the navigator 6.22/CTP16 - you can see the navigator version while it is starting up, but you need to access the dealer menu to check the radio version.

The dealer menu is accessed by pressing the driver side temperature 'up' and 'down' buttons simultaneously, along with the rear defrost button and hold them all for about 10 seconds. Once the menu appears you press the appropriate menu items on the screen. It should be self evident as to how to use the menu and how to exit when you are done.

It happens to be a simple matter to get your radio running again without swapping it out, but FCA does have an obligation to you here. For my part, I am trying to determine whether their fix is legit or if they've been wasting everyone's time.

Edited by bramfrank

• 3 weeks later...

This just happened to me. Contacted Uconnect and they claimed they've only heard of one other case.. Awful timing as in two days the wife and I are heading out for a two week vacation and the nav system would have been preferred. The dealer cannot see us before so it's scheduled for when we come back. Very fortunate that we are with are warranty but very close (30,000 of the 36,000). I'm glad I found this thread as I am to be receiving a call from a 'case manager' withing twenty-four hours. And here I thought this was do to the recall work and software, but reading now it appears to be the whole radio unit. Thanks to all who posted here.

Not only is it relatively common, they even have a recall (R65) to deal with it!!!

If you are at all computer savvy, have a couple of good 8 gig or larger USB keys, a decent Internet connection and a few hours to spare send me a personal message with your e-mail address if you want to fix it yourself.

And consider buying an extended warranty from Chrysler (stay away from aftermarket warranties) because there are a lot of expensive electronics in the vehicle that can cost a large fortune to replace should something go wrong - they even offer a lifetime warranty that comes with a $100 deductible - so that radio swap, which they would charge as much as $2K to do if your base warranty had expired, would cost $100 - less if you could bundle a couple of repairs under a single claim.

Edited by bramfrank

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I spoke with U Connect and was told that the security update to my 8.4 caused an issue of "Can't unlock Maps". We had about a 3 - 5 minute conversation and I felt she was giving me honest info. Mine was fine until a few months after the security patch/update or whatever it was called. It was under warranty so they are currently replacing the unit with a remanufactured one. The Dodge mechanic told me that they haven't had many remanufactured units come back but I'm not so sure he'd tell me if they had.

55 minutes ago, Journeyphenia said:

I spoke with U Connect and was told that the security update to my 8.4 caused an issue of "Can't unlock Maps". We had about a 3 - 5 minute conversation and I felt she was giving me honest info. Mine was fine until a few months after the security patch/update or whatever it was called. It was under warranty so they are currently replacing the unit with a remanufactured one. The Dodge mechanic told me that they haven't had many remanufactured units come back but I'm not so sure he'd tell me if they had.

Wow, two lies in a row.  Their noses must be miles long by now.

• 4 weeks later...

2014 Journey SXT

CTP16 with current firmware

Just bought the vehicle from a dealership, obviously used, 80K miles. Didn't check the nav system but we are experiencing the Can't Unlock Maps (no maps in database) issue.  The first thing I did was check that we had the current software/firmware versions.  Then checked Mopar recall website, entered VIN and saw that the vehicle DID have the R65 campaign "recall" this year.  So, it is probably not a software/firmware issue but something else.

I am going to contact the local Dodge dealer to see if there's a warranty on the R65 fix as we have no other warranty on the vehicle.

I did check the FCA-Garmin website and see I can pay $150 for updated map packs, but my question is would reloading new Garmin maps actually work?

The system obviously believes it has no map data other than the basic base map, which does have interstates and major roads on it.  The question again is will it recognize updated maps?