Can't Unlock Maps

Hey how are you? I'm Julio

I'm from Australia! Any one on here that's from Australia??

I've got 2014 journey R/t. I have read all the comments as mine has come up with

Can't load maps

Qn

The whole unit has to be replaced?

Why does it do that?

What could cause it?

• 3 weeks later...

New to the site. Good information here. Headed to the dealer tomorrow. Second time the unit went out. First time the vehicle was a year old now it's just 2 1/2 years old. Out of warrant due to being way over miles. Extended warranty though but with the good ammo hear I'll be arguing not to be using the extended warranty and paying the $100 deductible. I'll be asking for a new unit also as opposed to the refurbished one. We'll see how all this goes.

You won't get a new unit and, if the R65 recall has not been performed you won't need to pay for the replacement. And even if it has, you can claim reimbursement in full. You probably would have avoided the issue if the firmware update had been applied (something you could even have done in your driveway at home).

For some reason they can't seem to deal with the 'Can't unlock maps' error at the dealership. It is a relatively simple fix. But since you aren't paying anyway, it isn't a serious problem.

Here is the standard operating procedure for Can't Unlock Maps. Take time out of your busy day and take vehicle to dealer, they charge Chrysler 2 Hours saying that they tried to update maps (even though they know this does not work), tell you that they need to order a new unit and you have to take it back to get this re-furbed unit that will fail again. You cannot simply load the maps because the hard drive in the unit has gone bad hence the reason you have to get a re-furbed one. Been through this debacle as well as many other people. Lifetime warranty comes with a lifetime of hassles every time this unit fails. I would never get the NAV unit on a Chrysler vehicle.

Here is the standard operating procedure for Can't Unlock Maps. Take time out of your busy day and take vehicle to dealer, they charge Chrysler 2 Hours saying that they tried to update maps (even though they know this does not work), tell you that they need to order a new unit and you have to take it back to get this re-furbed unit that will fail again. You cannot simply load the maps because the hard drive in the unit has gone bad hence the reason you have to get a re-furbed one. Been through this debacle as well as many other people. Lifetime warranty comes with a lifetime of hassles every time this unit fails. I would never get the NAV unit on a Chrysler vehicle.

No. They don't even try to update the maps because they don't have them to install - if they did, they would have had to buy them, which they didn't. And no, the 'hard drive' has not gone bad, because there IS no hard drive - the thing has Novram and it has either glitched for some reason, or there is/was some errant code that changed something in the map segments of memory, causing the unit to report a CRC error in the map file during the device's power-up self test.

They had no reason whatsoever to spend 2 hours with your vehicle since SOP is to order in a replacement unit when the complaint is 'can't unlock maps'..

They COULD resuscitate them at the dealership, but for some reason they don't seem to want to do that.

Update: The dealership order a new (refurbished) unit for the vehicle. That's going in next week. Is covered under the extended warranty for a $100 deductible. Just got off the phone with Amanda at Extended Warranty Claims center. She indicated that the refurbished unit is called that because the case is reused. The radio, wiring, all interior components are new. R65 does not apply to my 2013 Journey. I told her she might want to pass along the Chrysler this website as Chrysler is obviously not addressing a well documented issue with one of their products. We'll see how long this one works for.

John

Update: The dealership order a new (refurbished) unit for the vehicle. That's going in next week. Is covered under the extended warranty for a $100 deductible. Just got off the phone with Amanda at Extended Warranty Claims center. She indicated that the refurbished unit is called that because the case is reused. The radio, wiring, all interior components are new. R65 does not apply to my 2013 Journey. I told her she might want to pass along the Chrysler this website as Chrysler is obviously not addressing a well documented issue with one of their products. We'll see how long this one works for.

John

Has your radio ever been changed before? Or is this the first time.

I ask because IF it has been changed, you may have gotten a radio that SHOULD be covered under the recall.

If you can post up the software version of the navigator (get it from the splash screen as the navigator starts up) it will tell us if you have the most recent version of the radio.

Had read through all of the 8 pages. Wow! Just intrigued on why this can't be easily addressed by the dealer?

I do agree with the input that someone had raised to list the firmware that those had issues with. We could go a step further by listing the Uconnect version, map version, country version, etc. The more detail the better. Maybe to also indicate what other options are within the unit. Like for example mine has no xirius. Compile this info into a Ms.Excel/Ms.Word file for future reference.

I know its a long shot but at least through the above we can analize and see if the problem are happening to which unit, uconnect firmware, software/options installed within the unit.

Mine have not had any issues for 2 years that I had this car from new. Still bellow 30k. Yet this thread gets me worried as my warranty will end next year. Furthermore, what worries me more is that my dealership do not give extended warranty for Indonesia. :(

This thread had started since 2014 and still the problem persist. Would request moderator to put it as a sticky!

FCA *claims* to have resolved the problem with the latest firmware release, which you can download from the uConnect web site and install yourself. They also claim that the R65 recall only impacts on the 2013+ radios, which is why I had asked about MSP1330's history and version number (which would identify his radio version).

For the record, it CAN be addressed by the dealer, but it requires a couple of hours of a tech babysitting the vehicle and it may well be that FCA also does something to perhaps make the unit less prone to glitch electrically, which almost certainly would have involved making component changes or additions which would be beyond the skill set of the shop's techs (not that whatever they did seemed to have helped much, because while only the minority of RB5 owners had problems, those problems seemed to recur - i.e. lots of people complained not of only ONE failure, but that they were having their radios replaced for the second or third time).

If indeed the R65 recall (most recent release of firmware) solves the problem, then great. If it doesn't then at least in my case I know how to resolve the issue. It remains, however something beyond what is reasonable to expect the owner to do and beyond the level of patience and ability of the typical owner; and if improperly executed could brick the device.

This is the second time the radio will be replaced the first time was the August of 2014 right about a year after I got the vehicle new. The current software version on the radio is 5.21. The model is CTP15. GPS is 4.15.06

John

This is the second time the radio will be replaced the first time was the August of 2014 right about a year after I got the vehicle new. The current software version on the radio is 5.21. The model is CTP15. GPS is 4.15.06

John

Thanks for the information.

So you know; While FCA doesn't include your vehicle in the R65 recall, the radio they installed last time is the recalled version - they replaced the original radio with a post 2013 revision, and that's the one in the recall list. You can tell because it is running CTP15.

As such you OUGHT to be able to get it resolved for free since they installed the recalled version of the radio after the initial failure. Or if they were smart about it the would simply reload the maps and then update the firmware for both the radio and navigator to versions 15.09.D1 and CTP16/6.22 respectively.

Thanks for the information.

So you know; While FCA doesn't include your vehicle in the R65 recall, the radio they installed last time is the recalled version - they replaced the original radio with a post 2013 revision, and that's the one in the recall list. You can tell because it is running CTP15.

As such you OUGHT to be able to get it resolved for free since they installed the recalled version of the radio after the initial failure. Or if they were smart about it the would simply reload the maps and then update the firmware for both the radio and navigator to versions 15.09.D1 and CTP16/6.22 respectively.

Great information! Thanks! I will see what the dealer has to say about that.

I stated lastnight that I had this happen before and they had to replace the radio. It happen again yesterday and I took to dealer today, they have to order another new radio. That means 3 radios in less than 3 years, and 2 within the last year.......sucks!

THEY had to change it, but IT didn't have to be changed. I've brought these back from the dead and it is relatively simple to do. If you read what I wrote you'll know that I think it is an FCA policy for some reason, perhaps because the fix requires about 2 hours of someone babysitting the vehicle while it processes the data.

Supposedly they've got it figured out now (finally). The latest software for the radio and navigator have been incorporated into the R65 recall. The only problem is that if they DON'T have it figured out, the recall implies that this is a one-shot affair - they go at it and then you're on your own.

If you have the latest radio, a decent Internet connection, a reasonable 8 gig USB stick and a couple of hours to spend on it I can probably walk you though the repair and you can avoid going back to the dealer. I would need to know what firmware your navigator is running, which you can read as it begins to start up.

Edited by bramfrank