Can't Unlock Maps

Some say that the few people who are complaining are not the majority however, the truth is very few people attend these forums and believe me there are many, many more people that have issues with these units. THese units are complete garbage and should be recalled and replaced with a different manufacturer. I for one will not go through a 6 week ordeal to get this unit replaced. I will turn in my lease with a defective unit and let them deal with it. I will say that I will never get another vehicle with a navigation system as I have seen far too many people at work with bad units for this to be a minority problem. Good luck to everyone who has one of these without a lifetime warranty on it. GARBAGE, GARBAGE, GARBAGE. Might want to note that the quality ay Chrysler has slipped since Fiat and their wonderful WCM entered the scene.

Some say that the few people who are complaining are not the majority however, the truth is very few people attend these forums and believe me there are many, many more people that have issues with these units. THese units are complete garbage and should be recalled and replaced with a different manufacturer. I for one will not go through a 6 week ordeal to get this unit replaced. I will turn in my lease with a defective unit and let them deal with it. I will say that I will never get another vehicle with a navigation system as I have seen far too many people at work with bad units for this to be a minority problem. Good luck to everyone who has one of these without a lifetime warranty on it. GARBAGE, GARBAGE, GARBAGE. Might want to note that the quality ay Chrysler has slipped since Fiat and their wonderful WCM entered the scene.

I'm also on the Jeep WK2 forum and did not find any threads on this. The Grand Cherokee has the same unit.

Hi,

Well this happend to mine to.

My Fiat Freemont the europe version Of journey. I downloaded osm map (open street maps) renamed the downloaded map image to gmapsupp.img. placed it on a USB stick inside a folder named Garmin. Put my car on ACC mode put the stick in. Uconnect begun validating. After ca 1 min it asked if I would like to update with the supplemented map. A process that was promped could take up to 2 hours.

Did not have time to try that but I will.

(Pardon my english)

If your primary map is corrupted, installing a supplementary map will not clear the problem. But perhaps if you name it for the primary map (gpsmapprom, I believe, because I am not near my PC) rather than the supplementary it will overwrite the bad file.

This was what I had planned to do if someone local had given me access.

You might also want to consider downloading a small map, so the update takes less time. If that works you can replace it with what you need.

Edited by bramfrank

Your OSM map can be loaded as the main map by simply renaming it . . . . but you won't have any of the advanced features that Garmin's maps provide, like POIs and such because the open source map simply doesn't have them.

The good news (depending on your definition of 'good', I suppose) would SEEM to be that the gmapprom.img file (or one of the accessory files, like the 3D or JCV file) is corrupted and reloading the entire map set OUGHT to clear the fault.

I REALLY wish someone near me would let me have a crack at reloading his 'broken' radio.

If, indeed all that is wrong is that there is some corrupted data in one of the map files, the fix ought to be very simple - reload the map, which is what I want to try.

But I know that the device is quite picky when it comes to file updates and even the factory DVD can be a problem - I couldn't get the update DVD to read in mine (though it plays music and movies just fine) - and dealers are clueless, so they'd try once and just give up. In my case I had to copy the data from the DVD to a memory stick - and even then I tried three before I could get it to run to completion.

Ok while not able to buy Garmin maps right know I have compiled a 4g osm gmapsupp.img just to try. If that works I'll go ahead and try to flash it as gmapprom.img. "Mission" just to see if size is ok and if the unit is ok and only get screwed somehow when Starting and stopping the units read n write process.

Edited by DaOsmo

Anyone found a way Of actually get the "actions" in Garmin developer menu and file manager to work? My stereo version ctp16 under Navigation -> Settings -> System -> About press and hold lower right corner above the regular Icons.

Edited by DaOsmo

• 2 weeks later...

My wifes Nav unit just did the same exact thing 4 days ago. Unlike most on here, she's had her vehicle coming up on 2 years and we've been thru a couple cycles of letting Sirius expire and renewing her subscription, so I don't think it has anything to do with that.

"Thankfully" I searched this on the forum. Guess we'll be headed to the dealership to get the unit replaced. Ahhh boy...

Bramfrank: had a shitload at work! Well my dealer is still debating with the manufactor so I will wait with gmapprom problem. Did try one time but it complained not compatible with current map. Called Garmin and they did not have a clue due to 3part manufactor not even how to remove a supplemented map. Have tried multipel times to install other map then the osm "openstreetmap" but the same anser when trying other supp map then osm, not compatible upgrade.

I responded to your PM before I read this post.

I'd start by compiling a REALLY TINY OSM map to load as a supplementary - that will replace the large one you loaded and free up memory if that is the reason.

Then I'd see if I couldn't get the image I sent you to load before doing anything more. But it may only allow the new image to cover the same geographic area as the original - that would mean you really need to involve the dealer or to load an unlocked primary map of your home country. I still wish someone local to me would give me a crack at his 'locked map' radio before sending it in for the knee-jerk reaction to the problem.

Edited by bramfrank