Can't Unlock Maps

This happened to my 2014 Journey Limited in April right as the 36k warranty ended. I called Garmin and they told me that there is a known issue with the memory becoming corrupted in the NAV units (On what he said was many many units). Also on a side note Garmin said that they did not make 2014 NAV units for the Journys and that the dealerships were installing that option with 2013 units at the dealership. Garmin had notes that the issue had been escalated to Chrysler engineers and the answer that was given to Garmin was to take it to a dealer. I called the Chrysler warranty to see what they would do and all they said was call them back once it was at the dealer. The dealer tried the update and of course that didn’t work then it turned into the unit would have to be replaced for a total cost of $600.00 for parts and labor since I was out of warrant by 150 miles (Which I thought this was iffy since I priced the units online for $1200 to $1500 come to find out they are using factory referb units as the replacements). anyway I called back the Chrysler warranty department and gave them the info I had learned and suddenly it was getting replaced for $100 bucks.

Thought you all would want to know what I have learned.

This happened to my 2014 Journey Limited in April right as the 36k warranty ended. I called Garmin and they told me that there is a known issue with the memory becoming corrupted in the NAV units (On what he said was many many units). Also on a side note Garmin said that they did not make 2014 NAV units for the Journys and that the dealerships were installing that option with 2013 units at the dealership. Garmin had notes that the issue had been escalated to Chrysler engineers and the answer that was given to Garmin was to take it to a dealer. I called the Chrysler warranty to see what they would do and all they said was call them back once it was at the dealer. The dealer tried the update and of course that didn’t work then it turned into the unit would have to be replaced for a total cost of $600.00 for parts and labor since I was out of warrant by 150 miles (Which I thought this was iffy since I priced the units online for $1200 to $1500 come to find out they are using factory referb units as the replacements). anyway I called back the Chrysler warranty department and gave them the info I had learned and suddenly it was getting replaced for $100 bucks.

Thought you all would want to know what I have learned.

Thanks for the info!

Given that it is a design defect, at least in Quebec they will not be able to escape providing a lifetime warranty, based on what you reported - this is going to get interesting.

I'd have balked at even paying the $100

FYI they are all manufactured by Panasonic. . . .

I STILL would love to take a crack at one of these before it goes back to the dealer.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Update. Replaced. While doing my usual wander through the showroom to see whats new and drool all over a Hellcat, I noticed on the window sticker of a 200, that they now list the 8.4 radio/nav made by Harman. Looks like they've changed suppliers from Panasonic. Tried to find out what they replaced mine with but couldn't find out.

H.P.

• 2 weeks later...

2014 Journey, 11K miles replaced unit 11 months ago and shot again. Big hassle first time at dealer. Took it in and had to make an appointment two weeks out to get it checked out. 2 weeks. Seriously. Took it in, they charged chrysler 2 hours to try and update maps when they know what the issue is. Got the car back next day and was told they had to order unit. 5 weeks later had to take car back in to get unit installed. Now unit shot again. I will wait and let them fix it when I turn the car in 8 months from now. I will not go through the hassle at the dealer again. These units should all be recalled and replaced.

Update. Replaced. While doing my usual wander through the showroom to see whats new and drool all over a Hellcat, I noticed on the window sticker of a 200, that they now list the 8.4 radio/nav made by Harman. Looks like they've changed suppliers from Panasonic. Tried to find out what they replaced mine with but couldn't find out.

H.P.

You don't need to check - the only unit that works in the DJ is the Panasonic. Period.

2014 Journey, 11K miles replaced unit 11 months ago and shot again. Big hassle first time at dealer. Took it in and had to make an appointment two weeks out to get it checked out. 2 weeks. Seriously. Took it in, they charged chrysler 2 hours to try and update maps when they know what the issue is. Got the car back next day and was told they had to order unit. 5 weeks later had to take car back in to get unit installed. Now unit shot again. I will wait and let them fix it when I turn the car in 8 months from now. I will not go through the hassle at the dealer again. These units should all be recalled and replaced.

Just call the dealer and tell him to order in a replacement because it has happened again - and if he wants you to come in before he does his tell him that the only way would be if they have a part on the shelf to replace it 'if necessary' because this is a common problem and to do anything different would be a waste of your time and theirs. Why should you have to suffer through the issues and be without something you pay for?

I still want to get first crack at one of these before the dealer does his thing - oh well . . . . ..

• 2 weeks later...

Is this what I will expect in a year from now since I purchased new in July?

No. But the breakdown rate does seem to be higher than it should be.

Only a minority of radios is affected by the problem - it just seems bad because you are on a site where people come primarily to ask questions and to complain about problems.

These radios are in millions of Journeys, 300s, Chargers and Darts manufactured as of the 2011 model year and though to today (though while the radios in Darts use the same hardware, they are not interchangeable with those of the other models because of differences in the CANbus they used in that car) - if they all died you'd have been reading about that everywhere on line and they'd have either resolved the problem or stopped providing them a long time ago.

Having said that, if you plan to keep the vehicle past the basic coverage term and given the amount of technology in today's vehicles you would be well advised to spend the extra money for an extended OEM warranty (with emphasis on the fact that it should be a Chrysler branded warranty).

Edited by bramfrank

Funny that you say it is only on a minority of radios, 2 in 1 year on mine and when I mentioned it to a fellow worker today he said that his says the same thing but thought it was because he did not renew his Sirius. This is not a small issue and it is a huge inconvienance. Chrysler quality has gone down the tubes since Fix It Again Tony got control and will not improve until Marchione and this WCM (Wasting Chrysler's Money) is gone.

No Daniel;

I suspect that there is some combination of features or settings that is at the root of the problem. I know a number of people who have the Nav in their vehicles, in most cases for years (in one case since he got his vehicle in 2011 - and he is a high mileage driver) and none of them has had any problems. Some have Sirius, others don't, so it isn't that which is the problem.

The other issue I think is when you get a replacement it is a refurb unit which is basically broken and repaired. If it doesnt break then there is no need for a replacement so why not put a NEW unit or module in and throw the broken stuff in the garbage???

I'm on my 4th refurb unit and yes I have warranty

Larryl;

That's an interesting observation;

In all likelihood the extent of the 'repairs' they do is limited to simply reloading the firmware and maps, which gets the device working again and then they put the unit into replacement inventory, to be used when the next one corrupts it's memory and does the 'can't unlock maps' thing.

The problem, of course is that whatever it is that made the unit in your vehicle, whether it is a vehicle or options configuration, something about the radio itself or some electrical glitch will likely still be there, so all that's really happening is that the unit they stick into the vehicle is more than likely going to fail again, while those people who do not have problems will continue to experience trouble-free operation.

Essentially, they are treating the symptoms without dealing with the disease - they probably can't be bothered, for whatever reason to actually fix the underlying problem, assuming that it can be fixed . . . . .

This, of course doesn't bode well for owners of DJs, 300s, Chargers and Darts who have the RB5 radio and have issues and plan to keep their vehicles past the warranty period UNLESS someone starts a campaign to force FCA to provide a formal perpetual warranty, and possibly financial compensation to people who have this radio in their cars, whether they came from the factory with them or if they were added post-sale, since the company supplied the product in either case and there is nothing specific about vehicles with the factory-installed version as opposed to one which is added after the fact - they all originally came from Chrysler and Chrysler was paid for them.

Note to Dodgecares.ca:

You might want to initiate a dialog with the customer relation and warranty groups in order to perhaps get the company to proactively act before someone starts a class action lawsuit noting that there are many jurisdictions around the world and absolutely in Quebec, where the provider of a device is held accountable for their product's reliability and for latent defects.

It would seem to be pretty clear to observers, and to the industry that there is some inherent design flaw that results in a significant failure rate that limits the standard of usability expected for such items - and given the cost to recover from a failure (I wouldn't call it a repair, since they don't seem to actually repair these things, but simply reset them, which from all indications seems to be only a temporary solution), the company needs to stand up and accept responsibility for the problem before the driving public sues it.

It will start small - as the 2011s are now off their basic guarantees, someone will take the company to small claims court and they will win - and on the basis of the award, others will do the same, using the jurisprudence of the cases that preceded them and eventually a lawyer who has one of these with problems will push the button and it will start to get a LOT MORE EXPENSIVE for Chrysler.

Edited by bramfrank

But you aren't allowed to touch your phone for any reason while the vehicle is in motion; and your phone doesn't do dead reckoning navigation. If you use online mapping or require traffic updates it won't do squat for you when you are out of cell range and I don't know whether your phone can navigate while you talk on it - some can and some can't. Your phone doesn't lower the volume of the radio when there is a navigation announcement and you don't have SiriusXM on your phone, except as an online function - and that requires cellular connectivity. And of course, the screen on your phone is tiny.

On the other hand, the RB5 was rated as THE number one infotainment system for function and features available as of May 2014 - and aside from the uConnect-A, there is nothing new on the market since then:

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2014/05/top-10-infotainment-systems.html/11

Edited by bramfrank

• 2 weeks later...

for what it's worth, 1 week, prior to having the journey for 1 year, i just got the 'can't unlock maps' message. took to dealer, and yup, has to have a new one installed. go figure...

i've had nothing but problem with the 8,4n/rb5 unit. although i got it working with an iPod classic, i never could get an itouch/ipad running iOS 8 (or 9, like i am) to show songs in correct album track order when connected via usb. always alphabetical. drives me insane. yet through bluetooth it plays in sequence, but doesn't display info on screen... stupid.

anyone using an iPhone running iOS 8 have their album track order sequenced right when playing albums???

• 3 weeks later...

Yup I now have the bug also.2013 Journey RT.Bought used 6 weeks ago from dealer,everything worked fine,really liked the nav.Went into store came out and big sign "can't unlock maps"Still have 36 month Warranty started Dec.15 2013.Less then 30,000 klms.Is there a deductible on warranty in Canada?I will be talking to dealer tomorrow,but trust them as much as the local politicians.

No deductible for the factory basic warranty - if your vehicle was beyond the OEM coverage and you bought an extended warranty, you might have no deductible or a $100 deductible, depending on the specific warranty you would have purchased - and if you bought an aftermarket warranty, good luck.

Yes Dodge has a problem with the uconnect navigation.My 2013 Journey is at dealer who admits they are aware of the problem.Courtesy driver gave us a ride home to wait for results of service check,his 2014 journey has same problem.Phone sale man at selling dealer 300 klms away and now his in laws have same problem on 2013 Journey.What in the hell did I buy?

Yes Dodge has a problem with the uconnect navigation.My 2013 Journey is at dealer who admits they are aware of the problem.Courtesy driver gave us a ride home to wait for results of service check,his 2014 journey has same problem.Phone sale man at selling dealer 300 klms away and now his in laws have same problem on 2013 Journey.What in the hell did I buy?

Shoulda bought a toyota. I hear they are trouble free.

I find it interesting that a bunch of people complain about their units failing specifically a week before the end of the first year of ownership . . . . . I wonder if there's an interaction between the expiry of the Sirius subscription and the memory corruption. Then again, my unit has been in and out of subscriptions, so I don't think that's the problem.

As to failures; Some fail, most clearly do not, or they'd have stopped offering them a long time ago - they are sensitive to warranty costs and the unit has been offered for more than 5 years now.