Can't Unlock Maps

2 minutes ago, Secen said:

My 2014 Dodge r.t it's reading no map data.  Also replace 3 batteries and had to replace camera and DVD.player.  seems as though electronics are bad on this vehicle.

My 14 Crossroad is just fine.  Of course, because I wrote this it will soon all go bad!!!

• 1 month later...

I just wanted to chime in about the Chrysler supplied GPS update that’s been linked. My 2015 gps system stopped unlocking maps about 6 months ago. The idea of spending the money on a whole new radio was unthinkable. I finally decided to buy the $99 update and it worked! It’s definitely worth trying if you miss your gps system. 

https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/home/en_US/ChryslerNA/USD?

On 8/29/2019 at 12:53 PM, draydon said:

Hi All,

So based on the last few comments it seems like you can buy a memory stick from Dodge or potentially even Garmin.

Can anyone actually confirm they purchased it and it got rid of the "Can't Unlock Maps"?

I would willingly pay $100-150 to fix the problem but need a guarantee.

Mine worked! I just did it today. 

• 3 weeks later...

I’m back. While the update did fix the maps issue, a couple of days later my map is now stuck in French. I go to the settings and change it to English, but it stays in French. I can’t find any solutions online. Very frustrating. So I can see my

map but can’t use audio prompts. 

Too funny!  Multi lingual travelleing at its best. I once set my car to French one time to mess with my friends. 
   If all your displays are in French it is an easy fix to set your system back to English.  If it is only the voice that May be something else.

Try to reset radio the language to French, then Spanish and go back and set it to English.  No guaranty it works, but worth a try.

Edited by martyman.geo

• Official Dodge Support

We're sorry to hear that you are experiencing this concern. If you would like any additional assistance, our team is always available via private message!

Alison
DodgeCares

I had my Nav go bad 3 times, by the 2nd and 3rd, it was out of warranty but it didn't matter since each time it happened was less than a year. The Nav company told me is was a blip in the update that came out to fix your car being accessed by other drivers, something like that anyway. They always replaced it with a refurbished and the 3rd refurbished has worked for about 2 - 3 years now so I think the update has been updated. In any case, let Dodge know that you know about the software update glitch that began the issue and they might admit that you should be covered. Most times, you will be covered if you are only out of warranty for under a month or so. You may have to kiss some ass to get it free though. The refurbished were about $1000 from memory and new was $1500, outch.

• 2 weeks later...

@caffinated Catholic, 

WOW, I went and cycled through the languages on my navi to see if it would hang up.  I did it before and had No problems. 
  So this time, everything seemed to work once getting it back to English.  Well almost everything worked... my back up camera is blank but shows the warning banner.  It may not be related, but it has extremely good timing for something to fail!

I will go through the posts to see if any had something similar or may have to take it to a dealer an pay the $150.00 Troubleshoot fee.:thud:

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Hello, So I took possession of a 2016 DJ R/T with the 8.4N Garmin Nav. 

Right now I noticed that it will show major highways around me (like the 401, 427, QEW) But does not show the roads around the highway (Photo attached showing me near a rail track which was showing, but not the road which was Finch)

I updated the radio itself from UConnect and then updated the Garmin firmware to 7.09 and then got the dreaded error messages:

Cannot Unlock Maps

Detailed maps are required for routing. No detailed maps were found on this unit.

I notice that the map is moving based on where I am showing GPS is responding, though a little off when on the highway (shows me right beside the highway). I have read throughout this thread about the trials of replacing the entire unit multiple times by many people, then the firmware that should have fixed the issue, and now how simply buying the map upgrade package (the $227 2020 FCA Group - North American Map for Uconnect® 8.4N (RB5 MY 13-18)) will fix this issue and show detailed maps again. Meanwhile my local Chrysler dealership is adamant that the radio needs to be replaced. I wanted to hear back from those here who obviously have had to go through this to see if my dealership is blowing smoke or if I have lucked out and need to find a replacement radio unit.

I can provide more details and data on the radio if needed. I am hoping this is a map update thing because right now I have no intention on spending $1550 for a replacement radio through Dodge when they obviously know this has been a big enough problem for many people.

6b95aacea61f426681d8f6f5a4d56886.jpg

Edited by tdottrucker
added info

I think the idea is that replacing the entire radio will be a “proper” and permanent fix to the issue of memory corruption of the detailed map data, however it’s not guaranteed since the replacement unit could fail in the same way. 

reflashing the map data will fix your problem, until it gets corrupted again.  I had to flash it once... hasn’t been a problem since.   If it ever gets corrupted again, I will follow the same procedure using the map data I already have to restore the maps. 

seems like that is the best approach. 

• 8 months later...

Or...

You can just fix this by getting rid of your stock car battery. Replace it with an aftermarket one. Ever since I have done that in 2017, I have had no issues with the GPS system. Hasn't failed me in 4yrs so far....just sayin...

Before, i was on a stock radio...and the GPS radio was replaced 3x under warranty, then failed another after warranty...I paid to have it hacked and it worked, then stopped....I just simply changed my stock battery after it died and my problems went away...

GPS has worked flawlessly since...no more maps not found...

Edited by journey13