Can't Unlock Maps

Hi All,

So based on the last few comments it seems like you can buy a memory stick from Dodge or potentially even Garmin.

Can anyone actually confirm they purchased it and it got rid of the "Can't Unlock Maps"?

I would willingly pay $100-150 to fix the problem but need a guarantee.

Hi Draydon, 

I had no issues when I updated the software version of the Navi system and purchasing the maps from Garmin.

My only challenge was to make sure I had the VIN from the donor DJ to get the software upgrade. 

Works like a champ!

note: I only had the "Can't unlock maps" and “missing detailed maps” error.  No other messages.

Also, with the previous posts, Garmin has the special for $99 for the 2019 maps. I have the habit of keeping up with latest software so I will be purchasing the newest map. 

Edited by martyman.geo
Info add

You mention a “donor DJ”.  Was your radio hardware previously replaced ?

I’m wondering how the map licensing works and concerned that I might have an issue since my current data is corrupted. 

The “user guide” that comes with the updated map USB seems to indicate that you need to successfully extract some data for the upgrade to work. AE3F7F6C-3A2D-4DD3-80D1-CEB27E0040AC.thumb.png.f690bf5821cb608542b528ef19d55ebe.pngB8AB4E2F-02DE-470D-9FF9-4B35A58405A7.thumb.png.9b86b926e6cc7202b0a9458b39a48a11.png

Hi, my original radio was non-Navi, the used replacement was from same year dj with a Navi.  

The reason for having the original vin was to be able to upload the software update. My DJ was not originally equipped with NAVi.

The Garmin update utilized the data from the radio itself to make sure you have the right map version.  Hope this helps

32 minutes ago, martyman.geo said:

Hi, my original radio was non-Navi, the used replacement was from same year dj with a Navi.  

The reason for having the original vin was to be able to upload the software update. My DJ was not originally equipped with NAVi.

The Garmin update utilized the data from the radio itself to make sure you have the right map version.  Hope this helps

I wonder what happens to the update if the data it needs to pull from the target is corrupted?

Good question.

So here is the link that my i looked up:

https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/product/Catalog/Catalog_Dodge_Journey_2013/2019-FCA-Group-North-American-Map-for-Uconnect-8.4N-RB5-MY-13-18-/sku/U5544-0060-903NAM/en_US/ChryslerNA/CAD

I had to input my 10# unit ID which takes to that link.

Cost with shipping is $164.17 (Canadian).

Note my software is up to date. Says version 7.09

So my bottom line is if I purchase this and follow the instructions will it update the maps and get rid of the  "Can't Unlock Maps: and "No Detailed Maps Available" error?

Draydon, if you are up to date with the software and everything else is functioning the next step would be to try the map update. 

Make sure you follow the instructions when you get the map. I can not guarantee success or not, but it seems like you are at the same place I was after I updated my software.  

Good luck

1 hour ago, martyman.geo said:

Hi Draydon, that is about it. There are a few steps in between , but yes once the system finishes updating the map it worked perfect.

F2396709-B00F-46B5-8144-13A61D085709.jpeg

I assume you followed all the steps laid out in the upgrade instructions found here...

https://chryslergroup.navigation.com/web/WFS/Shop-ChryslerNA-Site/en_US/-/CAD/ViewProductAttachment-OpenFile?LocaleId=en_US&DirectoryPath=ChryslerNA&FileName=CTP+RB5+User+Guide+2019+New.pdf&UnitName=Shop

Edited by Polecatt

I’m in the same boat now... will be ordering the updated maps and hoping it restores my Nav functionality.  FCA had suggested they would cover the cost of the radio replacement if a dealership diagnosis indicated that the failure was related to R65. The problem is that there is no diagnostic that the dealership can perform that would indicate this.  All their $140 diagnostic fee is able to determine is that the navigation is not functioning. There is no way for them to determine why.  Since their ability to troubleshoot is limited to flashing the software (not maps), once that is complete the only course of action is to charge the customer to replace the entire radio unit. 

Hi all,

I got my the USB and great news it worked for me. Maps are updated and no more "Can't Unlock Maps" error.

Cost me $164 shipped to my door the next day. This is with the current $50 savings which is applied at check out. Note  savings is only applied until 30 Sept 19.

Again all I had showing was the "Can't Unlock Maps" box and no access to the Navigation features. All other things worked normally IE radio etc.....

Took around an hour to follow the instructions and install.

I hope this helps anyone else with this issue where it out of warranty.

On 2019-09-05 at 4:48 PM, draydon said:

Hi all,

I got my the USB and great news it worked for me. Maps are updated and no more "Can't Unlock Maps" error.

Cost me $164 shipped to my door the next day. This is with the current $50 savings which is applied at check out. Note  savings is only applied until 30 Sept 19.

Again all I had showing was the "Can't Unlock Maps" box and no access to the Navigation features. All other things worked normally IE radio etc.....

Took around an hour to follow the instructions and install.

I hope this helps anyone else with this issue where it out of warranty.

Same result for me!  Nav has been restored. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jerry and all,

I wanted to post that I tried to order the map at the beginning of Sept but noticed they are all sold out!!!!! 

But Chrysler in their apologetic way has graciously extended the offer.

PLEASE NOTE:   This product is currently out of stock. This page will be updated with an in-stock date as soon as we have more information.  Please check back soon.   The $99 promotional offer will be extended through December 31, 2019.

Thank you

I have until Dec 31 to buy the updated map! 

On 8/28/2019 at 5:52 PM, Jerry in TX said:

Sorry, accidentally saved those screenshots as PDFs. They should be JPGs. Try again... DOH!!!

Map Update from Dodge - Website screenshot1 2019-08-28 - Copy.jpg

Map Update from Dodge - Website screenshot2 2019-08-28 - Copy.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another success story here. Downloaded the updates from Chrysler for the RB5 and ordered the latest Maps which arrived 2 days later. Uploaded the software in the following order, Radio, nav unit and then maps. Works perfect! Thanks to all who figured this out.

Jack

• 1 month later...

So glad to read the success stories with buying the map updates.  Looks like 2019 edition is no longer available though.   Almost $200 (CDN) for 2020 version.  Thinking for my sanity I'll be paying the $200   Have spent literally all day looking for the files in the other thread and no luck and ready to throw the computer across the room!  

Maybe I'll wait a little bit to see if it comes down in price

Edited by 2015DJJED

• 4 weeks later...