15 hours ago, martyman.geo said:

Longest thread ever!  

I have a 2015 journey that came equipped with the DVD system, w/no nav. I had the radio and the rear seat monitor replaced almost two years ago under warranty to fix the out of control controls.

To make my life more interesting, I ordered an RB5 unit to have the whole entertainment package with NAV.  It was purchased through LQK online for under $400.00.   I needed to purchase a security code through eBay to unlock the unit for $8.00.  Sounds like a great deal so far because everything seemed to work fine, until the next day when I tried the Nav. 

Lucky for me (LOL) I received the "Can't unlock maps" and missing detailed maps error.  

Before reading this thread, I went to the Uconnect site and uploaded the latest update.  My Nav info now reads CPT17, SW ver: 7.09, and GPS 4.15.06.   And yes, "can't unlock maps" is still showing. 

I ordered the 2019 map set for $159.00 (ugh) and waiting for it to ship in.   Now that I read this thread and a couple of others, maybe I should have waited?  If anyone is still following this thread, I will post success or failure after I get the maps loaded in a few weeks. 

One note:  the born on date on the radio I purchased is Jan 2015.  Not sure if that will make a difference.

If you are asking why I am changing the radio... I have an earlier post describing a radio issue I had concerning the screen flashing and blanking out when I connect my iPhone to the USB port. (this is with the dealer replacement).  My warranty is expired, so voila!  I wanted to change out the radio...Just because!

You could simply have returned the RB5 to the scrap yard and purchased another one, or an RE2 (the radio you already had), or build your own map, set saving the $160.

HI Bramfrank,   this is true.  but convenience overrode common sense.  I am on the west coast and the online scrap yard is on the east coast. Ther hassle to return it seemed a bit too much.  LOL.

Anyway, with your responses on this thread, do you think the new maps will correct the issue?

Edited by martyman.geo

11 hours ago, martyman.geo said:

HI Bramfrank,   this is true.  but convenience overrode common sense.  I am on the west coast and the online scrap yard is on the east coast. Ther hassle to return it seemed a bit too much.  LOL.

Anyway, with your responses on this thread, do you think the new maps will correct the issue?

It should.

Great news!  Just got the map in this morning, followed the instructions and less than an hour later the new maps are loaded!   NO more missing map error.  I feel lucky so far since a lot of the posts were leaning to having their radios replaced.

I noticed a cool thing with the NAV radio.  The Sirrus traffic subscription that was offered with the donor DJ the radio came out of still has almost two years left.  I was not aware Dodge gave a five-year traffic subscription.  I only knew the one-year Sirius music access.

There is one question I have about the DVD radio I pulled out of my Car.  The small map icon is grayed out and not accessible.  Does this mean the unit in my car just needed to have the $500.00+ activation done for the NAV option to be turned on?  The part number on the radio is P68308772ZA.

Edited by martyman.geo

No question that loading a map was the fix for a 'can't find maps' error.  It is simply that you could have restored the maps for free.

Based on what I can find, the part number is a replacement for the RE2, which does not have Navigation at all.  Not sure why you'd see ANY icon.

As to Navigation that need only to be activated, the Journey doesn't get that radio, we get the 8.4N.  That feature is a function of the 8.4AN

Edited by bramfrank

Thank you for the radio confirmation that it is not the style that could be activated.  Using google turns out a lot of information both true and not important. 

Before I shelf the old unit, I will have to reinstall it to remove one of my kids DVD's.  I will take a second look at the greyed out map ICON that appears on the right side of the display in case I was dreaming something was there. LOL.

On 3/31/2019 at 9:46 AM, martyman.geo said:

P68308772ZA

What is the Chrysler (DODGE) sales code for this model ?

RE2, RE3, RB4, RB5, RB6 ?