Can't Unlock Maps

15 hours ago, martyman.geo said:

Longest thread ever!  

I have a 2015 journey that came equipped with the DVD system, w/no nav. I had the radio and the rear seat monitor replaced almost two years ago under warranty to fix the out of control controls.

To make my life more interesting, I ordered an RB5 unit to have the whole entertainment package with NAV.  It was purchased through LQK online for under $400.00.   I needed to purchase a security code through eBay to unlock the unit for $8.00.  Sounds like a great deal so far because everything seemed to work fine, until the next day when I tried the Nav. 

Lucky for me (LOL) I received the "Can't unlock maps" and missing detailed maps error.  

Before reading this thread, I went to the Uconnect site and uploaded the latest update.  My Nav info now reads CPT17, SW ver: 7.09, and GPS 4.15.06.   And yes, "can't unlock maps" is still showing. 

I ordered the 2019 map set for $159.00 (ugh) and waiting for it to ship in.   Now that I read this thread and a couple of others, maybe I should have waited?  If anyone is still following this thread, I will post success or failure after I get the maps loaded in a few weeks. 

One note:  the born on date on the radio I purchased is Jan 2015.  Not sure if that will make a difference.

If you are asking why I am changing the radio... I have an earlier post describing a radio issue I had concerning the screen flashing and blanking out when I connect my iPhone to the USB port. (this is with the dealer replacement).  My warranty is expired, so voila!  I wanted to change out the radio...Just because!

You could simply have returned the RB5 to the scrap yard and purchased another one, or an RE2 (the radio you already had), or build your own map, set saving the $160.

HI Bramfrank,   this is true.  but convenience overrode common sense.  I am on the west coast and the online scrap yard is on the east coast. Ther hassle to return it seemed a bit too much.  LOL.

Anyway, with your responses on this thread, do you think the new maps will correct the issue?

Edited by martyman.geo

11 hours ago, martyman.geo said:

HI Bramfrank,   this is true.  but convenience overrode common sense.  I am on the west coast and the online scrap yard is on the east coast. Ther hassle to return it seemed a bit too much.  LOL.

Anyway, with your responses on this thread, do you think the new maps will correct the issue?

It should.

Great news!  Just got the map in this morning, followed the instructions and less than an hour later the new maps are loaded!   NO more missing map error.  I feel lucky so far since a lot of the posts were leaning to having their radios replaced.

I noticed a cool thing with the NAV radio.  The Sirrus traffic subscription that was offered with the donor DJ the radio came out of still has almost two years left.  I was not aware Dodge gave a five-year traffic subscription.  I only knew the one-year Sirius music access.

There is one question I have about the DVD radio I pulled out of my Car.  The small map icon is grayed out and not accessible.  Does this mean the unit in my car just needed to have the $500.00+ activation done for the NAV option to be turned on?  The part number on the radio is P68308772ZA.

Edited by martyman.geo

No question that loading a map was the fix for a 'can't find maps' error.  It is simply that you could have restored the maps for free.

Based on what I can find, the part number is a replacement for the RE2, which does not have Navigation at all.  Not sure why you'd see ANY icon.

As to Navigation that need only to be activated, the Journey doesn't get that radio, we get the 8.4N.  That feature is a function of the 8.4AN

Edited by bramfrank

Thank you for the radio confirmation that it is not the style that could be activated.  Using google turns out a lot of information both true and not important. 

Before I shelf the old unit, I will have to reinstall it to remove one of my kids DVD's.  I will take a second look at the greyed out map ICON that appears on the right side of the display in case I was dreaming something was there. LOL.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well it happened again, out of warranty of course, this is the second unit I will be having replaced.  $100.00 under my extended warranty.  I wish I could get this to happen a little more frequently, as I get the updated maps for $100 instead of paying the $159 they want.  Next time I'll just take the less traveled road and load my own if I can verify that is all it needs.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

i have a 2014 Dodge Journey. In 2016 (still under warranty) the message "Can't unlock maps"  showed I took it to the dealer, they ordered a new unit and 3 weeks later I had it replaced at no cost. I thought the same most of you thought. what if this happens again after warranty expires. and it happened again last week. So I contacted the dealer and FCA Canada https://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/?brand=dodge. I opened a case with them and then took my DJ to the dealer for technical inspection. 

While in the FCAcanada site I was able to see that there are recalls and campaigns. Campaigns are for anything that is not related to safety. there is a campaign called R65 that basically says that some radios of the 2014-2015 DJ may fail and that FCA will replace the radio at no cost even if it is our of warranty. you can take a look at the campaign document at https://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/ca_en/R65.pdf

So the case manager from FCA is working on the case and contacting the dealer and they are trying to find out if this will be or not covered by FCA.

I really hope this can be solved because I can't afford to pay the price the new radio cost. 

From what I can understand this is basically a portion of the memory where maps are stored that gets corrupted. Not sure if updating maps would fix, maybe it does. maps should be stored in a different memory space as the firmware that may explain why the updates do not solve the problem but updating maps may.

I'll keep you posted on the progress.

So my advice for anyone else out there with "any" new car full of technology would be. either replace the car before the warranty expires or get an extended warranty.

My 2015 dropped its maps (no detailed map data) after a year.  I bought the Garmin update USB stick and it fully restored the system and updated it.  For 129 cdn (sale was on) I have nav and a stick to do it again if needed.  Now on to the stabilizer links that decided to die...

• 2 weeks later...

I would advise that anyone having problems with their GPS/Maps with the map not found feature, get rid of your stock (factory) car battery. I have gotten rid of my stock (factory) battery a year ago and since then have had no issues with my GPS/MAPS radio. Just my 2 cents. Cheaper than buying a new unit. I have only reloaded my maps once in the last 2 years. Last year my stock battery died after being in the car 5yrs. Since I replaced it, my GPS/MAPS unit has been working without issues. Last year I had problems with it just before the stock (factory) battery died but since then, not a single fault.

Edited by journey13

• 1 month later...

This thread has been very helpful!  Unfortunately my Chrysler service manager has not been ...  I took my 2015 journey with the “can’t unlock maps” error in for “diagnosis” based on guidance from FCA Canada and after charging me $130 he determined that the radio navigation was “broken” and the radio would need to be replaced. He couldn’t tell me what was wrong, but he was absolutely certain that it wasn’t related to any warranty coverage or campaign. I got the impression he had no idea what R65 was and he wasn’t interested in reading the notice which I had printed out.  His final position was that I would need to pay $1000 plus one hour of labor plus the diagnostic fee to restore the navigation and that it wasn’t his call to determine whether the work should be covered as a warranty item under R65.

Also, not entirely sure what the $130 “diagnostic” fee got me... me to service manager...”my navigation is not working and I think my radio needs to be replaced”.  

4 hours later...

service manager to me... “your navigation is not working and your radio will need to be replaced. That will be $130”.

totally frustrating waste of time and money. 

8 hours ago, Polecatt said:

Unfortunately my Chrysler service manager has not been ...  I took my 2015 journey with the “can’t unlock maps” error in for “diagnosis” based on guidance from FCA Canada ...

Have FCA Canada explain to you what the R65 means. They are the ones that suggested this course of action. I would want a clear understanding of the cause and fix before I hand over $1000.00 and a guaranty that it is going to solve the problem. If their advise is worth $1000.00 then the explanation should be too.

• 2 weeks later...

So this recently happened to my 2016 Crossroad with electronics package, DVD etc.  After speaking to my dealer, Garmin, FCA and Here Navigation and getting no answers accept bring it in for a $75 diagnostic and it may need to be replaced, (my dealer usually doesn't replace them as they are so expensive out of warranty, which mine is, so they recommend a 3rd party which is good of them but not original to the car and I like the system when it works)  thanks to this blog and the gentleman who posted the advisory for the 2014-2015 models, I was able to get my dealer to get FCA to agree to replace it for free but they did say the advisory is not for my 2016 model however they would make an exception.  Hopefully after 3 years of replacing them they have finally fixed the problem and I won't have to revisit the other options but it's good to know they exist.  Thank you all for saving me a ton of money.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I just got affected by this issue a few weeks ago. Its a 2013 Journey so unfortunately its out of warranty and Dodge wont even offer a discount regardless of the R65 recall or known issues. I've read all the pages on this post so correct me if I'm wrong:

Option 1 - Have Dodge fix it which would cost well of $1000.00 which I doubt anyone would do  or Option 2 - Buy a GPS and stick it on my windshield for $150.

I'm assuming there is no way to update the maps from Garmin or any other aftermarket company? If so someone would have posted a link to the company and process.

I hope this may be useful to others. I recently received in the mail an offer from FCA (or Dodge) to update my maps for $99USD. From the fine print on the back this applies to Dodge Journeys 2013-18 and is valid thru Sep 30, 2019 (see attached PDF). The link to apply for the update is fcagroup.navigation.com/update. You enter your unit ID and I guess it will tell you if you are eligible and then start the payment and download process. 

IMO, if you haven't had a problem with your unit, and you don't navigate with it much (you use a separate GPS or phone) I don't know why you would bother. But if you have had problems, or maybe your unit has had a map failure and you have just lived with it, this might be valuable to you. If for no other reason someday you will go to sell your Journey and your prospective buyer will want that feature. For me, I live around Houston, which is a BFC ('big city" in the superlative) and I use my navigation a lot. One of the things that really sold me on the Journey was the fact that the Journey/Dodge systems use the Garmin interface and I have been using Garmin GPSs for many, many years. Very simple and easy to use. Well worth it to me to have updated maps. YMMV. 

Hope this helps someone... 

Map Update from Dodge 2019-08-28.pdf

The order is for a USB stick that they mail to you. Shipping is $3.95USD. Here are a couple of screenshots (attached). Coverage is for North America (incl Canada and Mexico). BTW, I used this when I drove our Journey across Mexico for 6 weeks to Puerto Vallarta and back with wife and dog. Great trip, but the point here is the nav system was awesome! A real lifesaver!

Map Update from Dodge - Website screenshot1 2019-08-28.pdf

Map Update from Dodge - Website screenshot2 2019-08-28.pdf

Jerry in TX,  thank you for the info.  Earlier in this thread this year i posted my fix and outcome. My fix was updating to version CP17 software and buying the newest map from Garmin. Unfortunately the latest map received was data from 2016 labeled as 2018 purchased in 2019.  It’s ok, I am a bit confused also.  

$99.00 doesn’t seem to bad an investment((again) if it has updated map info.  Let us know how it goes.  I use my GPS a lot as well bec sometimes the cell signal is non-existant in some areas I travel. Also, when I go (as you described) to the BFC near me, hands free navigation is better without a phone.

My experience has been incredibly challenging and frustrating.  Unfortunately due to the incompetence of the dealership I went to for the required “diagnosis”, FCA will not cover the cost of replacement. Based on the language FCA used it did seem like if the dealership had indicated that my failure was related to R65 they would have covered it. The service manager at the dealership I happened to go to claimed he knew nothing about R65 and that is wasn’t up to him to decide whether FCA would provide warranty coverage on a failure that would otherwise be considered out of warranty.  No amount of discussion could get him to budge and so his “diagnosis” and feedback to FCA was that my failure was not related to R65. 

My my next step is to try with another dealership but FCA might not be willing to reopen the case even if I can get a dealership to recognize my navigation failure as the type identified in R65. 

Is is there any chance my “can’t unlock maps” error is due to anything other than the memory corruption documented

in R65?

All I got back from the incompetent service manager was that the navigation has failed and the only option to restore it is to replace the radio. 

If I can’t get FCA to step up I will probably buy the updated maps and flash to get my Nav back. (And also be left with a bad memory of my experience at this dealership that will result in me advising as many people as I can to steer clear.)

Hi polecat, are you having just a problem with the Navi system or is it the whole radio? Two years ago, my radio went out of control with volume and everything else. It affected the monitor as well. Both were replaced under warranty. Unfortunately the warranty radio had an internal issue when a phone was connected .  I gave up to have the radio fixed and bought a Navi unit online. It had the unlock issue which was corrected with software and map updates.  

Maybe I was lucky not to have a memory issue with the donor unit.

4 minutes ago, martyman.geo said:

Hi polecat, are you having just a problem with the Navi system or is it the whole radio? Two years ago, my radio went out of control with volume and everything else. It affected the monitor as well. Both were replaced under warranty. Unfortunately the warranty radio had an internal issue when a phone was connected .  I gave up to have the radio fixed and bought a Navi unit online. It had the unlock issue which was corrected with software and map updates.  

Maybe I was lucky not to have a memory issue with the donor unit.

Navi/maps issue only for me... everything else works fine. 

Jerry in TX,  thank you for the info.  Earlier in this thread this year i posted my fix and outcome. My fix was updating to version CP17 software and buying the newest map from Garmin. Unfortunately the latest map received was data from 2016 labeled as 2018 purchased in 2019.  It’s ok, I am a bit confused also.  

$99.00 doesn’t seem to bad an investment((again) if it has updated map info.  Let us know how it goes.  I use my GPS a lot as well bec sometimes the cell signal is non-existant in some areas I travel. Also, when I go (as you described) to the BFC near me, hands free navigation is better without a phone.