Can't Unlock Maps

4 hours ago, psgoel said:

I have 2013 RT model and I am having an issue with the Navigation system

Upon Navigation star- up it reads "Can't Unlock Maps" I click "OK" and it then new box says "Detailed maps are required for routing. No detailed maps were found on this unit."

I called Chrysler and they told me it is an issue with Radio software. I took it to the dealer and they told me since it is out of warranty I will need to pay labor, and they are not sure if they will be able to fix it. I ended up paying $65 and it was not fixed. Now they are telling me I need new Radio and it will cost $1200. Even though nothing is wrong with Radio or any other function such as Bluetooth etc.

First of all you don't 'need a new radio'.  In fact for your $1200 you'd get a refurbished radio that is more likely to fail than the one you have in your vehicle now.  That's because all they do is to reload the maps into a radio that they took back from a vehicle already suffered the problem and ship it out to the dealers to replace the one you have in your dash now.

If I was in your shoes I'd pick up the phone, call Chrysler/FCA customer support and tell them to cover the repair - this is what's known as a 'latent defect' and it has been documented here (and admitted to by them in their R65 recall program) and depending on where you live (your profile says BC) there may not be any legal warranty end date for design defects.

On the other hand, there is a thread on the site that documents how to reload your own maps - with newer ones than FCA would provide in your dash.

Alternatively (and for less money than your dealer wants, and without any taxes, either) I have a spare radio which has not (yet - and I say 'yet' because you never know when it might, if it will at all) lost its mapping.  I bought it as a cold spare in case I was to suffer the problem in my DJ - something that hasn't happened.  I am offering it for what I paid - US$800.  Installation takes about 10 minutes - you will need a security unlock code to mate it to your vehicle - dealers will often provide the code for free or for a trivial amount of money if they aren't complete asses.

psgoe the dealer just scammed you. This issue is so old and has affected so many people that they know they cannot do a software fix and they have to replace the unit. This is such a massive issue that they should replace the unit for free. I would suggest writing a letter or calling customer care at FCA to try and get this resolved. If you cannot get satisfaction then maybe go to your local news station to bring this massive issue to light. Good luck.

On 2018/3/22 at 4:23 AM, bramfrank said:

Your dealer is an ass.  Look up the definition of 'design defect', then contact FCA customer support and insist that they replace the radio once more under warranty.  If they refuse file a complaint with your state's consumer protection group, quoting the various 'can't unlock maps' threads here and referencing the R65 Chrysler recall.

That can't stick defective equipment into your vehicle and then try to charge you when it does what they program it to.  Under civil law you can likely claim a lifetime of replacements, since it is a defective design with an applied 'solution' that actually exacerbates the likelihood of recurrence. 

Let you know, I purchased a new 2017 map and tried to update my radio. Finally, I saved my map successfully. It works normal now. 

• 6 months later...

Well, I am back...1yr 2 months later after getting my radio fixed, it is dead again...at least the GPS anyway.

I am stuck on a screen with "loading please wait.."

*SIGH*

PS: I swear, I am never buying another DODGE in my life again and I would never recommend this vehicle to anyone. Period.

On 10/3/2018 at 5:26 AM, jkeaton said:

Never buy a dodge because the radio is bad. I just have to lol at that one. 

Yeah, well, the radio went on me 3x during warranty, replaced 3x during warranty...2x after warranty...the after warranty I reloaded the firmware myself including the maps. Now I can't reload anything as the gps/maps feature is stuck on 'loading'. Reloading the firmware did not help....

So yeah, no more defective dodge for me, just like ford (fix or repair daily)...

The only reason I bought a Dodge was because they seemed to have good reviews; only problem was 6 months after it was nothing but bad reviews.

I backup the bad reviews going forward and would not recommend a dodge to anyone simply for the fact that a $1200 US radio/gps deck fails every year no matter how many time you replace it. The item is under recall in USA but no in Canada...

On 10/4/2018 at 10:51 AM, jkeaton said:

Good luck with your next vehicle. 

Funny, this morning I started the car and the GPS/Maps is working...*sigh* I swear this vehicle is possessed as it wasn't working since Monday this week prior...I am going to try and reload the maps in a few days. Hopefully it buys me another year again...

Edited by journey13

• 1 month later...
On 2/17/2016 at 9:45 PM, bramfrank said:

Given the way the notice was worded and what dodgecares.ca said, I personally would hold off on executing the recall at the dealer, since if the radio dies it will not be a simple task to get the company to fix it again at their expense

we're getting owned by this right now.    they applied the firmware fix unbeknownst to us, and now that nav has died, we have no recourse

9 hours ago, Tikker said:

we're getting owned by this right now.    they applied the firmware fix unbeknownst to us, and now that nav has died, we have no recourse

Who’s “they” and why do you have no recourse if “they” caused the issue?

On 12/5/2018 at 9:27 PM, jkeaton said:

Who’s “they” and why do you have no recourse if “they” caused the issue?

they is the local dealership.

they applied the r65 recall to our unit at the time when the unit was working. aka, they upgraded the firmware

2 years later, the can't unlock maps/corrupted maps occurred.   

but because the recall had been applied, they're washing their hands of replacing the defective unit

Hello all! This just happened on my 2016 Journey on Thursday. I’ve been reading the posts, but I’m not sure what action I should take. All the recall talk has me confused. 

Should I take it to a dealer and reference the latent defect, recall, etc? Or should I reflash the maps myself from the Garmin website? I appreciate the advice! And if anyone is getting organized about contacting Dodge, I’m happy to jump on board. Thanks! 

Note- I live in FL, USA

Edited by Jenn.
Add location

1 hour ago, Jenn. said:

Hello all! This just happened on my 2016 Journey on Thursday. I’ve been reading the posts, but I’m not sure what action I should take. All the recall talk has me confused. 

Should I take it to a dealer and reference the latent defect, recall, etc? Or should I reflash the maps myself from the Garmin website? I appreciate the advice! And if anyone is getting organized about contacting Dodge, I’m happy to jump on board. Thanks! 

Note- I live in FL, USA

Do you have basic warranty left?  If so then get your dealer to deal with it.

If your unit is out of warranty and if you have the 'Can't Unlock Maps' message then you can update the maps you had (note the tense) with newer ones yourself.  It takes time to do but if you follow through you will get it working;

If your unit is stuck on 'loading', you may have a bad solder joint on a board inside the radio - good luck with that if you have no warranty - my spare remains on the self, available for purchase.

1 hour ago, bramfrank said:

Do you have basic warranty left?  If so then get your dealer to deal with it.

If your unit is out of warranty and if you have the 'Can't Unlock Maps' message then you can update the maps you had (note the tense) with newer ones yourself.  It takes time to do but if you follow through you will get it working;

If your unit is stuck on 'loading', you may have a bad solder joint on a board inside the radio - good luck with that if you have no warranty - my spare remains on the self, available for purchase.

Thank you! I do believe it is still in warranty, for another month or so. I’ll take it to them and see what they say, and will keep the purchase option in mind. 

• 2 weeks later...

This is a long shot in the dark. But everyone that is experiencing problems with their GPS units, with the maps not available; are you still using your stock battery? I recently had a problem with my unit in October 2018. Shortly there after, my battery has died. It was the factory stock still installed after 5 years. Anyway, I changed to an after market battery and got rid of the stock battery. Since October 2018, I haven't had any further problems with the GPS unit. I'm hoping that it sticks. But it makes me wonder. Is it really the GPS unit that is faulty or the stock battery that sells with the Dodge Journey?

• 3 months later...

We bought a new 2014 Journey in Nov 2013. Have just over 110k on it now. Have replaced the GPS POS unit 8 times at 2 different dealers under warr. Done, f'n done with Dodge and the way they handle this blatant fault on their end. Clowns. After a stable of 28 dodges in my life, it's my last and my kids won't be buying them either. Suck it FCA  

6 hours ago, piman said:

We bought a new 2014 Journey in Nov 2013. Have just over 110k on it now. Have replaced the GPS POS unit 8 times at 2 different dealers under warr. Done, f'n done with Dodge and the way they handle this blatant fault on their end. Clowns. After a stable of 28 dodges in my life, it's my last and my kids won't be buying them either. Suck it FCA  

Don't get mad, get a refund.

It seems to me that if you can document the number of replacements that have been made you have the basis for an interesting suit against FCA in small claims court in your province.  They charge $2,100 for the navigation group in Canada (probably $1200 of that just for the nav, but let the judge figure that out) and you've been denied enjoyment of it, not to mention the loss of about 32 hours (at 4 hours per swap) just getting it 'repaired'.

I just noticed that the Canadian web site doesn't even have a 2019 Journey on offer.  It is in the US.  Very strange.

10 hours ago, piman said:

All over not having GPS? lmao...

And i agree with him, just thought his rant was a bit much. This obviously is a known problem with Dodges.  My Jeep Nav works fine.  But rather than fix it they dump it on the consumer.  When you buy something it’s expected to work all the time, not when it wants.  I would expect Dodge to keep fixing it till they got it right, not until my warranty was up, but no, they want you to pay twice for the same item.  It’s not like your nav gets used up, like tires or brakes....

After reading the Journey 2016 posts, I don't feel alone now.   My 2016 R/T (owned 2 1/2 years, 18,200 km) just vaporized the navigation maps.   When booking service for this Thursday, they tried to steer me to Chrysler Navigation Group which means they want me to try to fix the problem and spend $$.   I believe my 'Can't Unlock Maps'  is a continuing R65 issue so Thursday should be interesting.  Thank goodness, I have warranty.  Thanks all :)

Longest thread ever!  

I have a 2015 journey that came equipped with the DVD system, w/no nav. I had the radio and the rear seat monitor replaced almost two years ago under warranty to fix the out of control controls.

To make my life more interesting, I ordered an RB5 unit to have the whole entertainment package with NAV.  It was purchased through LQK online for under $400.00.   I needed to purchase a security code through eBay to unlock the unit for $8.00.  Sounds like a great deal so far because everything seemed to work fine, until the next day when I tried the Nav. 

Lucky for me (LOL) I received the "Can't unlock maps" and missing detailed maps error.  

Before reading this thread, I went to the Uconnect site and uploaded the latest update.  My Nav info now reads CPT17, SW ver: 7.09, and GPS 4.15.06.   And yes, "can't unlock maps" is still showing. 

I ordered the 2019 map set for $159.00 (ugh) and waiting for it to ship in.   Now that I read this thread and a couple of others, maybe I should have waited?  If anyone is still following this thread, I will post success or failure after I get the maps loaded in a few weeks. 

One note:  the born on date on the radio I purchased is Jan 2015.  Not sure if that will make a difference.

If you are asking why I am changing the radio... I have an earlier post describing a radio issue I had concerning the screen flashing and blanking out when I connect my iPhone to the USB port. (this is with the dealer replacement).  My warranty is expired, so voila!  I wanted to change out the radio...Just because!