Any happy Journey owners out there???

llw2234

You would think Dodge, Uconnect, or whoever would get this issue fixed. It has to be costing them a lot of money to replace all these units.

Panasonic is the manufacturer/supplier of these units. There's an awful lot of these units in the pipeline. Recent replacement units seem to be fairing better. Once most of the bad ones filter out of the initial supplies, then failure incidences should drop. And yes, the warranty expenses to both Panasonic and especially Chrysler are high.

• 1 month later...

One post wonder.

Right? 3 radiators in 4 years? Stop putting tap water in the overflow bottle. Distilled water and exact same coolant as originally filled only. HOAT and OAT do not react well with each other, and even worse with "universal" type coolants. And for heaven's sake, stay away from DEX-cool.

Also, can someone explain what a "caliper pad" is? I know what brake pads are, and I know what calipers are. I've never heard of a "caliper pad." Probably has something to do with headlight fluid.

• 5 weeks later...

Going to check out a used 2011 Main Street with 56k later this afternoon. 1 owner, and asking for almost 15k($14,700). Will talk down tho. I'm very impressed by you owners experiences but what about getting a used one not under warranty? Oil records show good work. Oh it's a fwd V6. So pretty. Space is my concern. One 4yr old daughter and thee wife. Baby seat will soon be done. Maybe the built in booster will help, if it's in there. Will follow up of course.

Edited by DJmaybe

DJMaybe - yup, wAAAAAAy too much money for that vehicle.

If it was an AWD with 40000 miles it'd be worth between $9900 and $12,600 - knock off $1500 if it is FWD, according to cars.com. This is for a private sale. Trade value is about $1700 less than that.

You can find new 2014s out there and the base AVP costs less than $20K new, so you do the math. Buying a new one gets you the factory warranty (and the option to buy an extended factory warranty too).

Edited by bramfrank

DJMaybe - yup, wAAAAAAy too much money for that vehicle.

If it was an AWD with 40000 miles it'd be worth between $9900 and $12,600 - knock off $1500 if it is FWD, according to cars.com. This is for a private sale. Trade value is about $1700 less than that.

You can find new 2014s out there and the base AVP costs less than $20K new, so you do the math. Buying a new one gets you the factory warranty (and the option to buy an extended factory warranty too).

Thats too much for a car with that many miles.

Thank both for the responses, and thank you bramfrank for the extra details in your response. Its ironic that I was going to do my math calculations/research for newer models as well, but I wanted to check here and boom, already. I'm impressed with the community here, how active it is. Anyways, I am going to pass on this one, not because of the two responses, but in the end, it makes sense because I already new in the back of my mind that I would talk it down, to which I did say in my original post.

My Avalon is pushing 200k miles(sitting at 169k) and I'm looking to upgrade soon, but nothing is wrong with the Avalon. Anyways, the 2011 is beautiful with great features, but that is too many miles, especially without the warranty. I've been itching to get back into the Dodge Family. Had a 2002 Durango SLT 10 yrs ago, then almost got a dodge 08 magnum. But I went for reliability and got the Toyota Avalon with 130k miles used. Now, I'm lurking around chargers, and now the Journey.

Well I guess for now I may be a 2 post wonder ;)

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Edited by DJmaybe

• 4 years later...

I know this is an old topic, but I just want to say: I´m very happy.

My first Journey was a 2009 SE, brand new. Few years later in 2012 I trade my old 2009 for a brand new 2012 SE, a really huge change in the interiors!!.

3 years later, back in 2015, I taked again with my dealer and trade for a 2015 Limited 2.4. Now in 2019 I´m still happy with my 4 year old Journey. The only thing (and it is obvious) is a heavier model vs my previous 5 seater Journey. Now I have more weight (3rd row, more equipment) and I feel a little bit slower this Journey. 

Regards!

I've had my 2016 R/T for 32000 miles and have been very happy with it. It just turned over 50K miles. I have been planning to write a lengthy review of my experience with it once I hit that mark. Stay tuned. I may actually get around to doing it one day.

Maybe.

Resurrecting old posts is fun!

My 2011  Crew has rolled 78,000 miles.
So far this is all that's wrong:

Brakes all around at 32k, and brakes again at 70k
One set of 4 new tires at 32k, and I'll need new ones in the next month or so.

New battery at 65k,

and broken driver's side power seat plastic cover, but the switches still work. Not going to fix it.

There's an active recall on a wiring harness in the steering wheel. I'll do that later this week.

All I've been doing is changing the oil when the car says, with Full/Syn DexOs, and FRAM walmart filters.

And... for what it's worth, I use Speedway regular gasoline. My goal is to pay for the next car with speedyrewards, and the DJ 18mpg combined is going to get me a new Speedycorvette at this rate.

This has been the best regular car ever. Glad I bought it.

2 hours ago, NavalLacrosse said:

Resurrecting old posts is fun!

My 2011  Crew has rolled 78,000 miles.
So far this is all that's wrong:

Brakes all around at 32k, and brakes again at 70k
One set of 4 new tires at 32k, and I'll need new ones in the next month or so.

New battery at 65k,

and broken driver's side power seat plastic cover, but the switches still work. Not going to fix it.

There's an active recall on a wiring harness in the steering wheel. I'll do that later this week.

All I've been doing is changing the oil when the car says, with Full/Syn DexOs, and FRAM walmart filters.

And... for what it's worth, I use Speedway regular gasoline. My goal is to pay for the next car with speedyrewards, and the DJ 18mpg combined is going to get me a new Speedycorvette at this rate.

This has been the best regular car ever. Glad I bought it.

that broken plastic seat cover can be reattached wit 1-2 placed black screws and will never come loose again,my 2011 it happened to the passenger side seat and the same on my 2014 as well i think when the wife gets out she slides out and catches the plastic top and it just breaks loose as it is held on by just a cheap plastic slide hook... lol if i bought a new journey tomorrow i would just automatically just drill a hole or two and run a black headed screw in their to fix it before it became a problem

That is such a sad experience for you. I saw an infographic that less people now are trusting chrysler and the quality of cars is not that good but still bought it since it's the brands that i grew up with. In my case, just the common problems like ac and some wiring.  

• 7 months later...

My 2008 Ford Escape was sadly just totaled at 172,638 miles. I need to get a new car quickly. I dont really mind high mileage cars as those are the only kind I've ever owned before, but I need some opinions. I was able to find a 2014 Dodge Journey SE with a clean title and CarFax report for $3,700. It does sadly have 187,546 miles on it which I know is a lot, but I have done the value research on it and in the condition it is in I would actually be getting a better value as it is worth $4,760 and I only plan on using it for a few years until I can buy a Ford Expedition. 

Has anyone had problems with higher mileage on their DJ?

My 2012  (bought in April 2011) is now 9 years old like 2late4u said so few issues on my end also. Brakes / rotors all around, doing fronts again this week, tires, battery, thermostat, heater core, coolant flush and only two recalls power steering hose & steering wire harness.  Most all these are normal wear and tear items expected to need replacement. DJs may not be the quietest, smoothest rides but for most of us, a very reliable car that is fun to drive with the 3.6 and does the job. At 120,000 miles I would say the car does not owe anything to anyone, 187,546 miles that car is a beast looking to prove something ! 

• 1 month later...

I baught mine new and starred feeling a shake in the whole SUV when I drove so I brought it in and apparently my drive shaft was no more good, and. My tires had over 12 weights on each tire. It was so unbalanced! Also I really don't like how small it is on the inside and the lack of space ther is between the cup holders and Consol. 

5 hours ago, Crystal said:

I baught mine new and starred feeling a shake in the whole SUV when I drove so I brought it in and apparently my drive shaft was no more good, and. My tires had over 12 weights on each tire. It was so unbalanced! Also I really don't like how small it is on the inside and the lack of space ther is between the cup holders and Consol. 

Shouldn't have bought it if you don't like the size. ;)

6 hours ago, Crystal said:

12 weights is a bad wheel balance.no tire is in balance that way, and that could be causing your problems with the way the journey is driving,and the size of the journey is what it is before and after you buy one. so what else is bothering you today???????????????

• 5 months later...

Although I'm not an owner yet, the Journey shares a lot of components with my Chrysler 200S. All manner of reviews and journalists said the 200 was a woeful car, calling out its sloppy handling, sluggish trans and saying it was slow and overweight. Granted, the car isn't my daily driver but it has been anything but unreliable. Most of the replaced parts were due my mods and upgrades such as the brakes, exhaust and other suspension pieces. The car is a 2013 and now has almost 77k miles on it without any major or repeating breakdown at all.

I suspect the same will be true of the Journey. Any car needs good maintenance and failures happen to any and all brands, even Hondas and Toyotas. I've had more failure and tow truck rides with the GM cars I've owned than any other brand so it will take a pretty bad example of the Journey to turn me sour. I look forward to defying odds and getting the same kind of pleasurable miles as I've gotten from my 200 or my Escape for that matter. With all the bang for the buck the Journey brings to the table, I'll happily make some mods to hopefully overcome any of the vehicle weak points. We have a couple of lengthy road trips in our future vacation plans and I'm factoring on my Journey being a big part of those adventures.