Journey Turning Radius

leslynn

I have an SXT AWD with the large tires (19 inch). When turning tight at slow speeds, I can hear the tires (I think) rubbing on the inside of the fender. It happens in either direction. I have not noticed any shiny spots in the fender or any wear on the tire but this is enough to concern me.

Any thoughts??

If it is very loud, you have air in the system. This was a common problem at first with the Journey. The dealer had to eliminate the air in the power steering system and in some cases, change the tank for a bigger.

Look there, you'll have all the information and the number of the service bulletin on the last page: http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/index.php...40&start=40

a power steering pump, will make a lot of noise when the steering is on full lock, due to trying to pump fluid, when it is unable to do so!!!! think about it folks,

you can only get so much fluid to fit into one end of a cylinder at a time, any more and it would leak, and so the pump strains and the bypass valve (if one is fitted) will come in to play, until you turn the steering again!!

not having had a chance to look, i am not 100% sure what sort of system is fitted to the Journey, but they all work basically the same....

a power steering pump, will make a lot of noise when the steering is on full lock, due to trying to pump fluid, when it is unable to do so!!!! think about it folks,

you can only get so much fluid to fit into one end of a cylinder at a time, any more and it would leak, and so the pump strains and the bypass valve (if one is fitted) will come in to play, until you turn the steering again!!

not having had a chance to look, i am not 100% sure what sort of system is fitted to the Journey, but they all work basically the same....

Although other people on the forum have had problem with the power steering. The previous post explains my question. This is what I have experienced and is in this case perfectly normal if I have understand it correctly.

/Andreas

• 1 month later...

I have a FWD SXT w/ 19" wheels. I have a groaning noise only when I turn left. Now my dealership told us this is normal...but apparently so are computer glitches so....

I think read something as well about replacing the tank for one bigger and it should fix the problem.

I have a FWD SXT w/ 19" wheels. I have a groaning noise only when I turn left. Now my dealership told us this is normal...but apparently so are computer glitches so....

I think read something as well about replacing the tank for one bigger and it should fix the problem.

There is a recall on the Powersteering pump for just that problem.

• 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

AWD RT w/ 19" wheels and no noise or rubbing going on with our Journey.

But compared to our 2006 Equinox, it sure dont turn tight. I hate passing by all those good parking spots that I dont have the maneuvaribility (and smaller size) to enter.

Elmwoodie.

• 5 months later...

While test driving my 09 SXT I noticed some noise coming from the pump. I made a deal with my Dodge salesman to have the pump replaced if I bought the car. He agreed, and the car was serviced about a month later. Granted I bought my car in the middle of winter in North Dakota. I believe it was minus 20F so everything makes noise in that cold climate. Since having the power steering pump replaced, I only notice a little noise when the temperature is 30F or cooler. It sits in the garage all night so no problems getting to someplace, only after it has sat outside for a few hours and cooled off I notice a slight noise on my way home.

I will say I am impressed with the cars turning radius. I an running 225/65/17 Firestone Destination LE. Awesome tire, great on this FWD car. No rubbing. Had some snow/slush on the roads a few times, no problem.