Crossroad Hitch Install

NitroNoMore

In case my question was lost in the other thread...

I just wanted to see if anyone has installed the Curt 13335 hitch on the Crossroad. Etrailer and Curt say no, but a poster in the other thread said they installed a Curt hitch on theirs. My car has the 2.4 with single exhaust.

I am hoping someone can reply with confirmation.

Thanks.

I put it on mine, $121 from Amazon with free shipping. Install was about 20 minutes with the removal of exhaust hangers.

I don't see why engine would have anything to do with the frame. I am curious as to why they would say no unless it is because the hitch is a class III and your DJ would never be able to pull anything heavy.

I really appreciate you replying. I really just wanted the hitch for some lightweight stuff such as cargo carrier and bike rack. I really don't know why they say it wouldn't work----but now I know it will work. I was going to just try it and hope--but I really did not want have to pay return shipping!

Thanks again Davea180!

Just FYI:

Thank you for your email and recent order with etrailer.com.

I have confirmed that the Curt, 13335, hitch will not fit your 2014 Dodge Journey Crossroad's model. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused for you. I am working to get the information updated on our website as we speak to ensure that our customer do not order the part by mistake.

If you have any further questions please email or call

Thank you,

Etrailer rep

Wait a minute!

I may be wrong on this. If you are just going to do light duty stuff you would want a class II (1 1/4) hitch. That will normally be a 12335. This is the hitch I have on my SXT.

I just looked and I may be wrong about the 13335. I looked up your application and see that there may be an exception on the Crossroad. I have no idea what it may be, but there doesn't seem to be a 13335 or a 12335 hitch listed. The 13335 is a 2" receiver with a normal tow rating of up to 5000lbs. Your 4 cyl. Crossroad would not pull this load and therefore that may be why it is not listing.

I would suggest a call to Curt Tech Support to find the hitch that fits. They, in this case, will know better than me.

If the holes in the frame line up I would think it will fit. If you purchase from Amazon, there is no return fee normally.

Edited by davea180

Yup . I sent a message to that user on July 11 but did not hea back.

Nonetheless, I went ahead and ordered the 12335 and installed it yesterday. All the bolts line up just fine. The bottom black plastic of the bumper does push on the hitch so that might be the issue. It is not a deal breaker for me, but others might have issues with it. I'll try to take a picture once the rain stops.

Edited by NitroNoMore

• 2 months later...

I found a local shop (Los Angeles) that only does hitches, all custom. It costs me $280 and will take about 2 hours. Saw photo's of Journeys they had done. They will cut out a square on the bottom of the rear fascia and the end of the hitch will protrude out of the fascia. Very clean look and not very noticeable either.

I found a local shop (Los Angeles) that only does hitches, all custom. It costs me $280 and will take about 2 hours. Saw photo's of Journeys they had done. They will cut out a square on the bottom of the rear fascia and the end of the hitch will protrude out of the fascia. Very clean look and not very noticeable either.

Try U-Haul. They should be cheaper. I got a quote of $201 + tax for Curt hitch with install (wiring separate) from Perrine Trailer Hitches in south Miami, Fl. A quote from U-Haul was similar.

Edited by Red G8R

Try U-Haul. They should be cheaper. I got a quote of $201 + tax for Curt hitch with install (wiring separate) from Perrine Trailer Hitches in south Miami, Fl. A quote from U-Haul was similar.

I think you missed the point... This was for a custom build and install that is hidden behind the bumper (not a Curt or any other off-the-shelf brand). No manufacturer offers this option, so while he could easily get a cheaper price, this is the only way to get a "stealth" install... I for one would like to see pics when it is done!

• 1 month later...

went to the mobilty store and was checking on getting a hitch put on my 2014 3.6 crossroad and the installer said no such hitch listed for it from curt. now he said 2012 and 2015 journeys are listed for class 2 and 3 hitch but nothing for a 2014 crossroad. he called curt and they said none listed. doesnt make sence that a yr before and a yr after 2014 they have hitches but none for the 2014...... ugh,, havent tried u-hual yet maybee they can rig one up...

i called curt and told them i had a 2014 crossroad and they said they had no hitch that would fit and i told them about this that i thought it was hust because of the bumper plastic fit rubbed on it and they said they didnt know but would not sell a hitch to a 14 crossroad owner for safty reasons.. oh well might have to lie and get one for a 2015 journey if i want to have a hitch.. does the wireing kit they sell solve the problem about going back to the dealer to have it flashed or do you still haver to fool with the dealership..maybee we could get

NitroNoMore to post us a pic of his hitch that he installed showing the bumper to hitch space

Yup . I sent a message to that user on July 11 but did not hea back.

Nonetheless, I went ahead and ordered the 12335 and installed it yesterday. All the bolts line up just fine. The bottom black plastic of the bumper does push on the hitch so that might be the issue. It is not a deal breaker for me, but others might have issues with it. I'll try to take a picture once the rain stops.

how about some pics of the rear hitch ????and did you use their wireing kit and is everything okay with out having to go back to the dealer????

Edited by 2late4u

I cannot understand why the hitch will not fit. Structurally and mechanically, the Crossroad is identical to all other Journeys. The rear fascia styling is different on the Crossroad, but the main styling change is between the tailpipes above where the hitch is located. My OEM Mopar hitch also contacts the bottom of the rear fascia on my 2013 Crew. It's normal. There have been no changes to the tow rating for either the 2.4 or 3.6 litre powertrains.

• 5 months later...

I, too, am trying to install a Mopar hitch on my 2014 Crossroad. If I go to the Dodge web site, and go to Owners; then Accessories, it say that the Mopar hitch will not fit any Crossroad.

The part number for the hitch is 82213561. I googled this P/N, and a whole bunch of Dealers popped up. Each one said this hitch will fit the Crossroad; 2014 and 2015.

My Dealer says that the Mopar hitch will fit, but they cut out a piece of the lower bumper and install a black nasell that also has the 7 pin round connector attached, to give it a finished look. Just like on my Nitro. Journeyman425 just posted a picture, on another thread, of his DJ with the Mopar hitch, and the receiver is below the bottom of the bumper. So now I am really confused. On ebay, I searched Dodge Journey Mopar Hitch and one of the Dealers actually has a picture as the guys at my dealership described; the hitch is up in the bottom section of the bumper with a 7 pin round receptacle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAILER-HITCH-RECEIVER-09-15-DODGE-JOURNEY-OEM-BRAND-NEW-/181694950403?fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3AJourney&hash=item2a4ddcec03&vxp=mtr

I asked the parts guy what harness I would need, and 4 P/N came up, but with no illustration:

82209 771AB Wiring Trailer Tow

82204 645AB Bracket Kit Trailer Tow

56038 138AA Harness Wiring

601 5756 Strap Tie

I have the oil cooler and the harness which terminates behind the spare tire. I think that the only harness I would need is the harness that plugs into the receptacle by the spare tire. Is this correct? Is this the same harness that comes with the DJs from the factory with the trailer tow package? If so, does anyone know the part number of this harness?

I left Parts, and went over to my Service Advisor. Going by my VIN and Build Sheet, they can add the sales code and activate the harness which I already have; the one that terminates by the spare tire. At least this part is good news.

Does anyone know what the 4 P/Ns are? Do I need them? I do know that I need at least one harness.

OMG. This is nuts. Just to install a hitch

Edited by dhh3

I, too, am trying to install a Mopar hitch on my 2014 Crossroad. If I go to the Dodge web site, and go to Owners; then Accessories, it say that the Mopar hitch will not fit any Crossroad.

The part number for the hitch is 82213561. I googled this P/N, and a whole bunch of Dealers popped up. Each one said this hitch will fit the Crossroad; 2014 and 2015.

My Dealer says that the Mopar hitch will fit, but they cut out a piece of the lower bumper and install a black nasell that also has the 7 pin round connector attached, to give it a finished look. Just like on my Nitro. Journeyman425 just posted a picture, on another thread, of his DJ with the Mopar hitch, and the receiver is below the bottom of the bumper. So now I am really confused. On ebay, I searched Dodge Journey Mopar Hitch and one of the Dealers actually has a picture as the guys at my dealership described; the hitch is up in the bottom section of the bumper with a 7 pin round receptacle.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRAILER-HITCH-RECEIVER-09-15-DODGE-JOURNEY-OEM-BRAND-NEW-/181694950403?fits=Make%3ADodge%7CModel%3AJourney&hash=item2a4ddcec03&vxp=mtr

I asked the parts guy what harness I would need, and 4 P/N came up, but with no illustration:

82209 771AB Wiring Trailer Tow

82204 645AB Bracket Kit Trailer Tow

56038 138AA Harness Wiring

601 5756 Strap Tie

I have the oil cooler and the harness which terminates behind the spare tire. I think that the only harness I would need is the harness that plugs into the receptacle by the spare tire. Is this correct? Is this the same harness that comes with the DJs from the factory with the trailer tow package? If so, does anyone know the part number of this harness?

I left Parts, and went over to my Service Advisor. Going by my VIN and Build Sheet, they can add the sales code and activate the harness which I already have; the one that terminates by the spare tire. At least this part is good news.

Does anyone know what the 4 P/Ns are? Do I need them? I do know that I need at least one harness.

OMG. This is nuts. Just to install a hitch

The hitch pictured on your eBay link will fit 2009-2010 Journeys. The rear fascia was redesigned for 2011 and up - that hitch is not compatible with your Crossroad.

Here's the wiring you need:

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/5523-2012-journey-factory-wiring-found-by-spare-tire-how-to-use/page-2

The part number for the wiring has superceded to 68080976AC

Part number for receiver 82213561, as was given to you by the dealers you called.

Edited by Journeyman425

Well, at least I received the correct P/N for the hitch.

Is this the correct harness that I need: P/N 68080976AC http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/6988-4-pin-wiring-harness-with-new-pics/ This member has 2 threads going on this harness. This one appears to be a 4 pin flat. He bought it new, but never used it. Or, is the number you gave me for a 7-pin round receptacle?

Journeyman425, thank you very much for the help that you have given me. If the above harness is not correct, I will google the number that you gave me and see what I can come up with.

Funny, the dealer on ebay lists the correct P/N for the hitch. They must be using an old picture.

Is the harness P/N 68080976AC the harness that would come from the factory with a DJ with the Trailer Tow Prep/Group? I want to know what I'm talking about when I go back to my Dealer, because this number is not on the sheet which they gave me!

One more question. All I need is the hitch, the harness, adding the Trailer Tow Code with a flash and I am good to go?

Thank you again.

Edited by dhh3

Well, at least I received the correct P/N for the hitch.

Is this the correct harness that I need: P/N 68080976AC http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/6988-4-pin-wiring-harness-with-new-pics/ This member has 2 threads going on this harness. This one appears to be a 4 pin flat. He bought it new, but never used it. Or, is the number you gave me for a 7-pin round receptacle?

Journeyman425, thank you very much for the help that you have given me. If the above harness is not correct, I will google the number that you gave me and see what I can come up with.

Funny, the dealer on ebay lists the correct P/N for the hitch. They must be using an old picture.

Is the harness P/N 68080976AC the harness that would come from the factory with a DJ with the Trailer Tow Prep/Group? I want to know what I'm talking about when I go back to my Dealer, because this number is not on the sheet which they gave me!

One more question. All I need is the hitch, the harness, adding the Trailer Tow Code with a flash and I am good to go?

Thank you again.

68080976AC is the part number for the wiring which is supplied in the vehicle when Trailer Tow Prep is ordered from the factory. The factory supplies the harness in a bag along with the floor mats, wheel caps, cargo net and the front license plate bracket if your state requires a front plate.

Re your last question: Hitch, the above wiring, and sales code/flash and yes you are good to go. That is exactly all that I needed to tow my pop-up camper and it works seamlessly. The car handles the camper very, very well.

I'm sorry that you've had so much difficulty getting this sorted out. With the correct information, it's really quite a simple affair. I watched my Journey get prepped while I worked - the tech I assigned the job to has his work station directly across from my office. Took him less time to bolt up the hitch and connect the wiring than it does to replace the spark plugs on a Hemi V8. Hopefully from this point forward you'll have no further issues!

Ordered the hitch and harness on ebay. Hitch was $203 + free shipping. I made an offer of $40 for the harness and it was accepted. I would think that installation would be around an hour or so, including the flash. But, I have no idea how long it takes to add the Sales Code, and flash the computer. I'll find out.

Edited by dhh3

I'll add your code. Reconfiguration takes less than 15 minutes to do, provided the dealership's internet bandwith is sufficient and stable (sometimes, if the connection glitches you have to start over). I think I still have your VIN in a previous PM.

Found your VIN and added code AHC. Once your reconfiguration is done then the wiring will be live.

Edited by Journeyman425