Left cylinder head letter.

pacsound

Got this letter in the mail today:

3.6L ENGINE LEFT CYLINDER HEAD EXTENDED WARRANTY

This letter is to inform you that the warranty period (5 years or 100,000 Kilometers) on the 3.6 engine left Cylinder head on select vehicles has been extended to 10 years or 240,000 Kilometers.

This 3.6L engine left cylinder head extended warranty coverage applies to the following select vehicle models and model years:

2011Grand Cherokee, Durango, Minivan, 200, Avenger, Journey, 300, Charger or Challenger 2012Grand Cherokee, Durango, Minivan, 200, Avenger, Journey, 300, Charger, Challenger or Wrangler 2013Grand Cherokee, Durango, Minivan, 200, Avenger, Journey, 300, Charger, Challenger or Wrangler

We are extending the 3.6L engine left cylinder head warranty period because some of the affected vehicle population may experience a valve guide and valve seat wear condition on the left cylinder head, which may result in misfire and subsequent illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). If the vehicle experiences this condition, contact your dealer to have the repairs performed. Conversely. if the vehicle does not experience this condition, then the left cylinder head is operating correctly and no repair is necessary.

This warranty extension applies only to the above component; the other terms of your warranty remain the same.

If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact Chrysler Canada Customer Care at: 1-800-465-2001 (English) or 1-800-387-9983 (French). Or write to:

Chrysler Canada Inc.

Customer

Edited by pacsound

Ticking noise from the left side would be the sign of trouble followed by misfires.....anyhow so far so good for my DJ.

And your DJ will have a rough bumpy idle when sitting still. And of course the appropriate check engine lights. I had mine replaced after I got all the warning signs about 30k miles ago. No problem since the fix!

Received my letter today too.....I really have mixed feelings about it. Yes the coverage is for 10 years but this type of repair kind of creeps me out. Any early signs of problems I should be looking out for?

Nothing to worry about. It is a time-consuming repair but not an overly difficult one for the right technician. Check engine light with P0302 cylinder #2 misfire is the most common; I've seen one or two on cylinder #4. Cylinders 2/4/6 are all on the left bank. In the majority of cases, the misfire cannot be felt but is detected by the OBD system since there is a corresponding rise in emission level. Not every engine is affected. We have far more 3.6's on the road without problems than ones that have come back for repair. None of the replacement heads have come back for repeat repair.

• Official Dodge Support

Got this letter in the mail today:

3.6L ENGINE LEFT CYLINDER HEAD EXTENDED WARRANTY

This letter is to inform you that the warranty period (5 years or 100,000 Kilometers) on the 3.6 engine left Cylinder head on select vehicles has been extended to 10 years or 240,000 Kilometers.

This 3.6L engine left cylinder head extended warranty coverage applies to the following select vehicle models and model years:

2011Grand Cherokee, Durango, Minivan, 200, Avenger, Journey, 300, Charger or Challenger 2012Grand Cherokee, Durango, Minivan, 200, Avenger, Journey, 300, Charger, Challenger or Wrangler 2013Grand Cherokee, Durango, Minivan, 200, Avenger, Journey, 300, Charger, Challenger or Wrangler

We are extending the 3.6L engine left cylinder head warranty period because some of the affected vehicle population may experience a valve guide and valve seat wear condition on the left cylinder head, which may result in misfire and subsequent illumination of the Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL). If the vehicle experiences this condition, contact your dealer to have the repairs performed. Conversely. if the vehicle does not experience this condition, then the left cylinder head is operating correctly and no repair is necessary.

This warranty extension applies only to the above component; the other terms of your warranty remain the same.

If you have questions or concerns which your dealer is unable to resolve, please contact Chrysler Canada Customer Care at: 1-800-465-2001 (English) or 1-800-387-9983 (French). Or write to:

Chrysler Canada Inc.

Customer

pacsound,

This letter went out to simply inform Customer's that there is a potential for an issue to become present.

As many other members have mentioned, it's important to keep an eye out for any reduced performance.

Chrysler Canada will certainly stand behind any issues that were identified and correct them accordingly.

• 2 months later...

Read a few articles about this - after receiving my letter .....and a few days later - receiving my malfunction (check engine) light illumination. Do not feel much if any difference in performance - and code reader check shows misfire in #4 cylinder (on left cylinder head?). Note articles mentioned Chrysler/Fiat did not anticipate that many of these engines would have this fault - and thus did not have enough appropriate parts on hand resulting in some dealers holding cars until parts come through - while paying for loaners, etc. Have to rely on Dealers confirmation that one's misfire - is in fact caused by the specific item mentioned in the extended warranty letter.

Appearance of misfire - on left side of engine makes one think they won the unlucky lottery. And - I've had nothing but good to say about my 2012 SXT w about 27K miles. Checking the code - w obd (?) resulted in malfunction light going away but have already made service apptmnt. Thinking about boycotting my mailbox.

Barry

misfire in #4 cylinder (on left cylinder head?).

Checking the code - w obd (?) resulted in malfunction light going away but have already made service apptmnt.

Cylinder #'s 2,4 and 6 are all Left Cylinder Bank. You will likely need the head replaced. It's not that big of a deal - it is time-consuming but not exceedingly difficult.

When your car was scanned for codes, the misfire code may have been erased...or, it may have already had two good trips where there were no misfires. Three good trips and the OBD system will turn the check engine light off on its own accord. That is common with this problem - they do not necessarily misfire all of the time. Keep your appointment and have the problem resolved. No worries.

Edited by Journeyman425

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All:

Password went in to never never land - and had to re-up this forum. Dealer asked that vehicle be brought in again - as malfunction indicator was erased when code read. Light came back on - and just now informed - Dealer is waiting on replacement Head for my 2012 SXT.

Is the procedure to replace only the left side head? as opposed to doing both sides? Years ago had a blown head gasket on my 260Z Datsun (there's a name you don't write often) Work was done at a Z club of America - car was never the same. But - that was before I realized the power of positive thinking (hoping). I'm sure all will be fine....

regards,

Barry

• 3 years later...

Anyone have any dealings with Chrysler regarding misfire problem on their Journey ? Experience good or bad. Taking mine in Monday misfire #4 , had coil and plugs changed, problem came back next day.

Edited by jkeaton
Don’t call out dealers

• 10 months later...

G'Day from Down Under (Australia)! 

Alas my car threw a CIL today and I got it scanned and it showed Cylinder 6 misfire. Could this be the same issue? :(

My DJ is a 2014, 3.6 L FWD R/T model. Done 94,000km (58,000 miles). Second owner, out of warranty as it's 4.5 + years old. 

Really hoping that I will be covered under this recall/extended warranty (If it applies to Australian Dodge) :(. 

If not how much should I expect to pay for this repair? 

Cheers in Advance. 

have no idea on the cost but usually your warranty stays in affect even to the next owners ( not sure about that in other countries)and if it applies you should be covered ,contact a dealership to be sure you might still be covered.... also the org warranty for 2014  i think it i was a 5 yr 60 k power-train warranty so you might be covered there if within the 5 yr part,..good luck and keep us posted

11 minutes ago, 2late4u said:

have no idea on the cost but usually your warranty stays in affect even to the next owners ( not sure about that in other countries)and if it applies you should be covered ,contact a dealership to be sure you might still be covered.... also the org warranty for 2014  i think it i was a 5 yr 60 k power-train warranty so you might be covered there if within the 5 yr part,..good luck and keep us posted

Thanks for the reply mate. 

I looked at the warranty booklet and it shows its a basic 36 month or 100,000kms whichever comes first. I haven't seen anything about the Powertrain side of thing. Worst thing is they have stopped selling the Dodge brand here due to poor sales, so who knows even if they would honor it. I am hoping that this extended warranty thing will apply to mine given its the same issue. Is there a way to insert a VIN and then check if my VIN is included? 

8 hours ago, Sazdog said:

Thanks for the reply mate. 

I looked at the warranty booklet and it shows its a basic 36 month or 100,000kms whichever comes first. I haven't seen anything about the Powertrain side of thing. Worst thing is they have stopped selling the Dodge brand here due to poor sales, so who knows even if they would honor it. I am hoping that this extended warranty thing will apply to mine given its the same issue. Is there a way to insert a VIN and then check if my VIN is included? 

we use to have a dodge spokesperson (dodgecares) not sure how you can contact them tho, in the states we have 2 warranties the 3 yr/36 k anf then the power train which was 5 yr 60 k i believe in 2014 , sorry to hear about your problems maybe some one else can chime in and help ...good luck

10 hours ago, Sazdog said:

Is there a way to insert a VIN and then check if my VIN is included? 

In the States, we have Mopar.com where we can set up an account. It is the official Mopar owner's site that allows you to track your vehicle by VIN #. You can see all of the service records from the dealer or those you enter yourself. You can also see what your warranty is specific to that VIN # and a listing of recalls.

You may be able to access something similar where you are even if the brand is no longer sold there. Try a Google search.

On 03/02/2019 at 11:12 AM, Summer Solstice said:

In the States, we have Mopar.com where we can set up an account. It is the official Mopar owner's site that allows you to track your vehicle by VIN #. You can see all of the service records from the dealer or those you enter yourself. You can also see what your warranty is specific to that VIN # and a listing of recalls.

You may be able to access something similar where you are even if the brand is no longer sold there. Try a Google search.

Cheers mate. I'm contacting FCA Australia and hopefully get somewhere. Fingers crossed they honour the same warranty as the US on this issue. 

• 1 month later...