Trailer Tow FLASH (2014 Journey Crossroad)

sharkbait8574

I didn't buy the  curt harness and only bought the oem I listed that never did work. 

Journeyman says the 4 pin should work but the dealer says only the 7 pin will work. I have the 4 pin which doesn't work after the flash was done. 

If if you want to cover shipping I'll send you the 4 pin if you want to try it out and if it works we can work something out.

i wanted the oem harness since it adds anti sway when using it and it's clean without tapping into anything. 

19 hours ago, ShrtBus said:

I didn't buy the  curt harness and only bought the oem I listed that never did work. 

Journeyman says the 4 pin should work but the dealer says only the 7 pin will work. I have the 4 pin which doesn't work after the flash was done. 

If if you want to cover shipping I'll send you the 4 pin if you want to try it out and if it works we can work something out.

i wanted the oem harness since it adds anti sway when using it and it's clean without tapping into anything. 

ShrtBus I sent you a PM on this...but yes I am interested. Also, did you ever install a hitch?

Edited by Armando G

I just recently installed the factory hitch and factory wiring harness on my '17 DJ w/LED lights. So far, so good... everything works flawlessly. Just a note for the "not working" harness. When I checked mine initially, I thought it was not working either. Got solid voltage for brake and tail lights, but hardly a flicker for turn signals, Voltage flashed so quickly my meter almost didn't pick it up. If you experienced a similar problem, maybe a test lite might be better. I hooked up my trailer and everything was fine.

On 5/27/2017 at 7:23 PM, Armando G said:

ShrtBus I sent you a PM on this...but yes I am interested. Also, did you ever install a hitch?

Yes the hitch went in without issues.

On 5/27/2017 at 10:56 PM, BrianS said:

I just recently installed the factory hitch and factory wiring harness on my '17 DJ w/LED lights. So far, so good... everything works flawlessly. Just a note for the "not working" harness. When I checked mine initially, I thought it was not working either. Got solid voltage for brake and tail lights, but hardly a flicker for turn signals, Voltage flashed so quickly my meter almost didn't pick it up. If you experienced a similar problem, maybe a test lite might be better. I hooked up my trailer and everything was fine.

What was the PN for the harness you used? The dealership tossed in the harness that was sitting on my seat after they synced up the code and that's when I found out it wasn't working, they were using a test light.

I then told them I'll figure it out myself and just make sure the code took, meter doesn't show up anything on the plug but does show up on the relays. I also connected up my trailer just to make sure and still have nothing.

7 hours ago, ShrtBus said:

What was the PN for the harness you used? The dealership tossed in the harness that was sitting on my seat after they synced up the code and that's when I found out it wasn't working, they were using a test light.

I then told them I'll figure it out myself and just make sure the code took, meter doesn't show up anything on the plug but does show up on the relays. I also connected up my trailer just to make sure and still have nothing.

I am also curious what PN BrianS used and if it is a 4 PIN or 7 PIN. My dealer says I can only use the 7 PIN connector on mine even though I DO NOT plan on towing anything that heavy to warrant a 7 PIN. IN either case the CURT hitch and wiring harness has been ordered and on its way (all under $200)...not too worried about the hitch itself, just the wiring working out correctly.

CaptureHITCH.JPG

Mine was the flat 4 pin connector... like you, I have NO use for the 7-way connector. Not pulling anything heavier than my utility trailer, 1,000lb limit. I will try and find the harness number... think I tossed the paper that came with it but I'm sure I have pics somewhere.

OK, no pics... will have to check on the harness itself tomorrow. I do know it was for a '14 DJ. Mine is a '15, and altho it was a different part number than was called for mine, it was for one with LED tail/brake lites so thought I would give it a try. 

Just a note here... I just realized in my first post on this I stated that I installed it on my " '17 w/LED lites"... my bad, it was actually on my '15 DJ, but I DID have the LED part right. :)

Edited by BrianS

On 5/30/2017 at 11:35 AM, ShrtBus said:

Was just re-reading this... did you, or the dealer, remove the dummy plug on the end of the harness on the DJ? Not sure why it's there, maybe to protect the end of the actual plug from corrosion, but there is a small piece of plastic, almost looks like part of the plug (Yes, I missed it the first time) that must be removed and then the  harness plugs into it and then terminates at the trailer plug. Just a thought..

Edited by BrianS

• 2 weeks later...

So I installed my Curt hitch and am going to install the Curt wiring harness tomorrow, unless I can confirmation and a hold of the correct harness to plug into the pre-installed wire.

After install I started measuring the hitch height and it is 13". With the 2" drop on the ball mount it seems like it is going to be sitting pretty low. I am curious what the height of other DJ owner's hitch? Has anyone out there measured and/or had any issues? I am used to my hitch being in the 17" area (height off the ground). Am I overthinking it? Anyway, picture attached...I like the look, hope the performance is as good.

hitch.png

On 6/1/2017 at 6:29 PM, BrianS said:

Harness #P68080977AC  I'm trying to confirm what year it is for... I know it's not for the '15 model year, but it does work. 

As far as this harness is concerned, the Mopar site shows almost every SXT model year as being compatible, except the 2015 (see pic). I keep getting directed to the more expensive 7 PIN harness. My Curt wiring harness is looking better every day. Plus, I was told that the P68080977AC  harness would not flash correctly.

harness.JPG

Edited by Armando G

just measured mine on my 2014 crossroad with the curt hitch.... 13 inches. i use mine for a carrier basket for my wife's 3 wheel scooter it does drag a bit on a steep entrance or exit so i just angle off when i see one of them no big problem tho. just go with the curt wiring, a lot less problems then OEM that is  what i will do if i ever need the lights....

On 5/31/2017 at 9:03 PM, BrianS said:

Was just re-reading this... did you, or the dealer, remove the dummy plug on the end of the harness on the DJ? Not sure why it's there, maybe to protect the end of the actual plug from corrosion, but there is a small piece of plastic, almost looks like part of the plug (Yes, I missed it the first time) that must be removed and then the  harness plugs into it and then terminates at the trailer plug. Just a thought..

This was the plastic piece I was referring to. At first glance, it looks just like a regular plug. 

DJ_TrailerHarness1.jpg

DJ_TrailerHarness2.jpg

Edited by BrianS