Trailer Tow FLASH (2014 Journey Crossroad)

sharkbait8574

Why is the tow harness not activated when you purchase the vehicle?

When someone install the tow harness kit they will not run into that problem. They give you the harness in the car and than you install it and you have to go to the dealer and get it activated. On top of that the instructions tell you to remove the bumper and the back lights and you do not have too. But they forget to tell you the most important thing! They do not tell you that you have to update the software so the lights work. Is Dodge trying to discourage people to install the hitch and harness themselves? Not too impress with this install. Now I will have to get an appointment at the dealer and get it flashed up.

Glad I came to this forum and read about this issue. Michel

I have the same issue with my Journey crew 2013. After installing the tow harness that came with the DJ the connection does not work. Does this mean that I have to go to the dealer and have it flashed up/activated? Where do you get the sales codes? I spoke to the part department and asked them about the activation and he did not know. So this is why I would like to know what to tell them when I go. Thanks in advance for your info. Michel

I have the same issue with my Journey crew 2013. After installing the tow harness that came with the DJ the connection does not work. Does this mean that I have to go to the dealer and have it flashed up/activated? Where do you get the sales codes? I spoke to the part department and asked them about the activation and he did not know. So this is why I would like to know what to tell them when I go. Thanks in advance for your info. Michel

See my PM reply to you.

the service department does the work, not parts...

• 3 weeks later...

I keep reading what the OP posted. She purchased a new 2014 DJ with the Tow Prep Group. Why would she be charged to have it activated? Wouldn't it have been activated at the factory? Since the harness attaches to a bracket on the Mopar hitch, the harness would not be installed until the hitch was in place. I get this part. Something smells rotten here! Or, what am I missing?

I also have a 2014 Crossroad. I have the V6 with an oil cooler. I have the harness that terminates by the spare. I did not get the prep kit; i.e. 5-pin connector harness! So, in my case, I would expect to have to pay to have it activated once I install a hitch. But, why her?

Even though the car may have come with Trailer Tow Prep from the factory, the power to the wiring is not enabled from the factory. In most cases, customers return to the dealership to have the hitch installed, at which point the wiring is connected and then enabled. Adding the correct sales code and reconfiguring the vehicle to see the new code is included in the labor for the hitch installation. If a customer installs the hitch and wiring themselves, their selling dealer should add the code and reconfigure the vehicle at no charge (the process takes ten minutes to complete). If she were to return to another dealership for the reconfig, only then I would expect a small charge to be levied.

I supposedly have the towing package, but did not receive any sort of harness... Does it coming with the towing package or is it somehow separate? If separate, what package does it come with?

For clarification purposes, I do not have the receiver installed, just the tow package...

I supposedly have the towing package, but did not receive any sort of harness... Does it coming with the towing package or is it somehow separate? If separate, what package does it come with?

For clarification purposes, I do not have the receiver installed, just the tow package...

The wiring harness is shipped with the vehicle from the factory. Mine was in a bag along with the floor mats, front license plate bracket and the four center caps for the wheels. Journeys are not available with a hitch receiver installed at the factory - it is added either at the dealership or by the owner after delivery. If the dealership installs the hitch receiver, then the wiring is connected to the existing factory installed wiring harness which terminates near the spare tire, and then is routed behind the rear fascia and finally to the plug bracket on the hitch receiver. If no receiver is installed, the harness is supplied to the customer at delivery.

As far as I know, the trailer tow group adds the oil cooler and the 7 pin harness. My window sheet does not list a trailer tow group, but it does specifically show the oil cooler. I did not get the 7 pin harness. My center caps and floor mats were already in place. I had to order and pay for the front license plate braket because Indiana does not require a front plate. Or, so I was told!

PM the last eight digits of your VIN and the mileage to me and I'll see if it came equipped with Trailer Tow Prep. I've seen the engine oil cooler listed in the equipment even on those without the TTP.

PM sent. Thank you.

The wiring harness is shipped with the vehicle from the factory. Mine was in a bag along with the floor mats, front license plate bracket and the four center caps for the wheels. Journeys are not available with a hitch receiver installed at the factory - it is added either at the dealership or by the owner after delivery. If the dealership installs the hitch receiver, then the wiring is connected to the existing factory installed wiring harness which terminates near the spare tire, and then is routed behind the rear fascia and finally to the plug bracket on the hitch receiver. If no receiver is installed, the harness is supplied to the customer at delivery.

Hmmm.... I received no such harness. Everything else you mentioned was already installed when I bought it.

• 3 months later...

PM the last eight digits of your VIN and the mileage to me and I'll see if it came equipped with Trailer Tow Prep. I've seen the engine oil cooler listed in the equipment even on those without the TTP.

PM sent, Thanks for adding the sales code to my Vin#.

So a question. Can the dealer add a tow prep package since my V6 already has an oil cooler? Or is it cheaper/easier to add an aftermarket wire harness? I had a Curt hitch installed (without wiring) already for a bike carrier.

So a question. Can the dealer add a tow prep package since my V6 already has an oil cooler? Or is it cheaper/easier to add an aftermarket wire harness? I had a Curt hitch installed (without wiring) already for a bike carrier.

Look and see if the harness that terminates between the back of the spare and the bumper is there. This is the trailer wire harness. I have this and the oil cooler and have been told I can get the code added to mine. When I am ready, I am going to let my Dealer install my hitch. More expensive, but no headaches!

The aftermarket hitch harness is only $40 or so and is very easy to install. Just run a power line under the vehicle to the battery. Then pop the rear tail light and connect the rest of the harness that way. No need to visit dealer to activate it or anything. Very easy 1 hour job

Thanks for the advice. I will look and see if that connector is present. I would prefer to go the OEM route unless it's too costly.

As for aftermarket installation of the hitch, I couldn't be more pleased on how mine went. I had a Curt Hitch installed at Perine Hitch in south Miami which is a small shop run by the owner. He did the installation himself, gave me a chair to sit and watch him use a custom rig to support and lift the hitch in place. He was done in 25 minutes and then invited me to come up close to inspect the job done. I was very impressed.

Edited by Red G8R

The aftermarket hitch harness is only $40 or so and is very easy to install. Just run a power line under the vehicle to the battery. Then pop the rear tail light and connect the rest of the harness that way. No need to visit dealer to activate it or anything. Very easy 1 hour job

If you don't use the harness that terminates at the spare tire, you will not have the built in anti-sway electronics.

If you don't use the harness that terminates at the spare tire, you will not have the built in anti-sway electronics.

Does anyone really know what this is (anti-sway)?? What could possibly being going on in that harness that would add this "feature"... In another post on here someone suggested that it is likely something that the vehicle does anyways as part of the ESC and I tend to think that makes more sense. Thoughts?

Does anyone really know what this is (anti-sway)?? What could possibly being going on in that harness that would add this "feature"... In another post on here someone suggested that it is likely something that the vehicle does anyways as part of the ESC and I tend to think that makes more sense. Thoughts?

From the service manual:

TRAILER SWAY CONTROL

Trailer Sway Control (TSC) is safety feature made possible by ESP. TSC does not require driver input; it activates once the yaw sensor recognizes the unique vehicle motion associated with trailer sway and no steering input. It becomes clear that this motion has to be from a trailer and thus activates the brakes to eliminate the trailer sway.

Lobitz is correct in that the trailer wiring is not part of the TSC equation. The Yaw Sensor detects side-to-side motion and compares that motion to the steering wheel angle and movement. If the driver is not moving the wheel left or right but the vehicle has that left-right motion, then the ESP kicks in to counter it.