2012 Journey - Factory Wiring found by spare tire - how to use?

AaronC

Could you take 4 close up photos of the wire area on the 3 relays and the connector to the Journey. Don't need the trailer connector since it's visible in one of your photos. I'll match that up with what I have already figure out. If the photos are clear enough I can likely make a schematic from them. I'd also like a picture of the relay brand and part number if they are marked.

Traced out the wiring on the connector. The part is made by Delphi and is in their standard catalog so depending on who carries them they should not be too hard to find. The mating part is 12103974 which is the part you see the connector plugged into. All you need to turn the dummy connector into a live one is the pins and wire seals. The pin I think is 12045773 0.80-0.50 Tin Brass Tin plus the wire seals. If you interested look at the Delphi Catalog starting around page 2.12.

There are two row of pins with 3 on the top and 2 on the bottom. If you have the connector facing you, wires away from you, the pins are as follows.

Red (12V), White w/Orange Stripe (One of the relay drivers), Black w/Yellow Stripe (Ground)

White w/Green Stripe (One of the relay drivers), White w/Gray Stripe (One of the relay drivers)

The power is available even with the vehicle has not been flashed. I don't know which output drives Lt Turn/Stop, Rt Turn/Stop and Taillights until it's flashed.

One of the things I don't like about the factory connections is that it looks like they use 18GA wire. That seems a bit light to me mainly for the ground. If you were going to use this cable plus a 7 pin connector it would be easy to beef up the ground and get additional power from the battery for the Aux Power, Backup Lights if used and Brakes.

Ill try to get these pics for you tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the kit from Dodge with a part number that was 68060976AA. The wire is actually 68060977AA, and the intructions I have in the pictures is kit 68060978AA. Pretty confusing.

Are you sure that the part number was 68080976AA and not 68080976AC? The 68080976AC I can find in many locations but not the 68080976AA.

Are you sure that the part number was 68080976AA and not 68080976AC? The 68080976AC I can find in many locations but not the 68080976AA.

Usually the update from AA to AC (or any other higher value) is just a preceding part number. Meaning that the other number is no longer available and they updated the part... Should be the same.

I'm planing to pay full price at the dealer but I expect them to flash it for free. I figure that will be cheaper than buying at a discount and paying them to flash my Journey.

Edited by Timon

• 2 weeks later...

Could you take 4 close up photos of the wire area on the 3 relays and the connector to the Journey. Don't need the trailer connector since it's visible in one of your photos. I'll match that up with what I have already figure out. If the photos are clear enough I can likely make a schematic from them. I'd also like a picture of the relay brand and part number if they are marked.

Traced out the wiring on the connector. The part is made by Delphi and is in their standard catalog so depending on who carries them they should not be too hard to find. The mating part is 12103974 which is the part you see the connector plugged into. All you need to turn the dummy connector into a live one is the pins and wire seals. The pin I think is 12045773 0.80-0.50 Tin Brass Tin plus the wire seals. If you interested look at the Delphi Catalog starting around page 2.12.

There are two row of pins with 3 on the top and 2 on the bottom. If you have the connector facing you, wires away from you, the pins are as follows.

Red (12V), White w/Orange Stripe (One of the relay drivers), Black w/Yellow Stripe (Ground)

White w/Green Stripe (One of the relay drivers), White w/Gray Stripe (One of the relay drivers)

The power is available even with the vehicle has not been flashed. I don't know which output drives Lt Turn/Stop, Rt Turn/Stop and Taillights until it's flashed.

One of the things I don't like about the factory connections is that it looks like they use 18GA wire. That seems a bit light to me mainly for the ground. If you were going to use this cable plus a 7 pin connector it would be easy to beef up the ground and get additional power from the battery for the Aux Power, Backup Lights if used and Brakes.

did you get it flashed yet? do you know what wires are for turns, tails, stops?

Edited by spl147

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So I bought a Tow Ready wiring harness, same as the Curtis one. It requires that you run a wire from the module all the way to the front positive post on the battery, why cant i just tie into the red 12 wire and safe myself running the wire all the way to the front.

So I bought a Tow Ready wiring harness, same as the Curtis one. It requires that you run a wire from the module all the way to the front positive post on the battery, why cant i just tie into the red 12 wire and safe myself running the wire all the way to the front.

thats exactly what i did! works perfectly

• 1 month later...

My 2014 does not list the tow prep option. But I do have the V6 with an oil cooler and that connector by the spare tire. So, I guess that I am ready when I install my hitch and harness. Both will be Mopar, and I will have my Dealer do it.

Edited by dhh3

My 2014 does not list the tow prep option. But I do have the V6 with an oil cooler and that connector by the spare tire. So, I guess that I am ready when I install my hitch and harness. Both will be Mopar, and I will have my Dealer do it.

go with the curt hitch and the curt T-connector harness. way cheaper and much nicer. i went with the factory harness at first, had nothing but issues, installed the curt T-connector harness, and have never looked back.....less than $200 and towing like a champ!!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Yes I used the trailer tow harness kit that was in the trunk. Part not is 68080978AA on the instructions. Instructions says to remove the bumper, lights etc; but you do not have too because there is enough room underneath to install the harness. Nowhere on thel instruction does it say that you have to go to the dealer to flash it up. I think they should tell you that and/or flash it at the factory. Michel

• 1 month later...

Update, I found a great site where I can actually look at the wiring diagrams. I found the actual wiring for the harness along with the connector information.

Chrysler Wiring Diagrams

This is fine when the DJ is towing something but I need to be able to tow the DJ on a dolly behind a motorhome with the rear wheels down. The issue is tail and brake lights. Even on a DJ with LED tail lights the turn signals are standard bulbs so that easy. The brake lights are another story. Normally one would just connect across the stoplight switch but that's not easy on the DJ. The only way I can see to do it is if one can send a signal into pin 18 of the body module which is how the ABS module turns on the brake lights. Need to talk to dodge.

Tail lights will require flipping the headlight switch manually but I can live with that.

If your wondering why not just stick on external lights, well I really don't want a bunch of scratches from the magnets.

The real solution to this would be a CAN bus interface that would command the various lights to turn on and off but that's a lot of work.

Update, I found a great site where I can actually look at the wiring diagrams. I found the actual wiring for the harness along with the connector information.

Chrysler Wiring Diagrams

This is fine when the DJ is towing something but I need to be able to tow the DJ on a dolly behind a motorhome with the rear wheels down. The issue is tail and brake lights. Even on a DJ with LED tail lights the turn signals are standard bulbs so that easy. The brake lights are another story. Normally one would just connect across the stoplight switch but that's not easy on the DJ. The only way I can see to do it is if one can send a signal into pin 18 of the body module which is how the ABS module turns on the brake lights. Need to talk to dodge.

Tail lights will require flipping the headlight switch manually but I can live with that.

If your wondering why not just stick on external lights, well I really don't want a bunch of scratches from the magnets.

The real solution to this would be a CAN bus interface that would command the various lights to turn on and off but that's a lot of work.

Why not just put some felt or other soft fabric under the magnet lights? They are strong enough that they would still stick... Seems a lot easier.

• 4 months later...

go with the curt hitch and the curt T-connector harness. way cheaper and much nicer. i went with the factory harness at first, had nothing but issues, installed the curt T-connector harness, and have never looked back.....less than $200 and towing like a champ!!!!

I have the Curt harness on my 13. I've had nothing but problems with mine. I'm going to the factory setup if I can. All I have is a right brake light on all the time, even if the car is off and no lights are on!

I have a Crossroad. The Mopar hitch listed on the Accessory Site says the hitch will not fit. But, the Mopar hitches on ebay say they fit all models, including the Crossroad. And these listings are all from Mopar Dealers. It might have something to do with the platinum piece on the bottom of my bumper. So, more research, but I don't need the hitch right away.

I have the Curt harness on my 13. I've had nothing but problems with mine. I'm going to the factory setup if I can. All I have is a right brake light on all the time, even if the car is off and no lights are on!

The curt hitch and wiring works great on mine, just go back to the place you installed and have them fix the wiring