2014 Dodge Journey Daytime Running Lights

I'm not sure if they are a Mopar accessory. I found them on ebay. Search: dodge journey mopar. A dealer in Ma. is selling them. I started a thread in the "lights" section. The lights come with nothing except the housings, and you have to buy the right and left side separately. My dealer did find a harness. The part number is 68080316AD. $68. The bulb number is 7740, per my dealer.The dealer in Ma told me that there was not a harness for the DJ! I just wired them into my tail lights. Since the ballast for the LEDs is located in the housing, there is 12v going to the light. The harness to the left rear connector has three wires: black, white, white with silver stripe. Black is ground, and the white with silver stripe is the tail lights. I cut the 2 wires, and soldered everything together. I bought 18ga wire to have enough wire to run up to the tail light. The fog light housings snap into the bumper exactly like the reflectors. The intensity of the fog lights is in between the tail lights and the brake lights. No issues yet, but I have only had them on for less than a week..

Edited by dhh3

• 4 weeks later...

This is also for Journeyman 425. I have a 2014 journey with the same running light problem. VIN ET285666. 5087 miles. Can you help ? Thanks

I checked your VIN but your Journey was not configured for DRL at the factory. As of 2014 we can no longer enable them at the dealer level - DRL is now a factory option only. Sorry that I could not help you.

Probably more the dealer than Dodge itself. There are a lot of little things that she had with the Honda that Dodge just does not offer. Back-up camera only has one view where the CRV had three. Once she gets used to certain things it is hare for her to change. I am also finding that the mileage is no where near what the sticker claimed. I may end up driving it.

A bad dealer experience goes a long way towards a sour ownership. Hopefully that situation will improve with time. We absolutely love our Journey. It really grew on me the longer we've owned it. I've had a 300M for 14 years and that car is a tough act to follow, but the Journey is close in many ways and in some it exceeds the Chrysler in terms of refinement. Give the powertrain some break-in time and the mileage will go up. There will be a drop in fuel economy when the cold weather hits. Do they use winter blend fuels where you are? We usually drop 3-4 MPG in the winter between that and the remote starter. Right now we average 23-24 MPG each tank. HIghway trips routinely yield 28+ MPG with cruise control and 68-70 MPH speeds.

Probably more the dealer than Dodge itself. There are a lot of little things that she had with the Honda that Dodge just does not offer. Back-up camera only has one view where the CRV had three. Once she gets used to certain things it is hare for her to change. I am also finding that the mileage is no where near what the sticker claimed. I may end up driving it.

Mileage will go up as the vehicle breaks in... I have a little over 11k miles on mine and routinely get 24 mpg with at LEAST 50% city driving. As far as everything else, seems to me like that stuff should have been pretty apparent before the purchase. Why buy the vehicle if it didn't have what you want? It certainly isn't Dodge's fault that you bought a vehicle knowing it wasn't equipped as you would like. I've owned a few Hondas and personally find them over-priced and cheap feeling, but none of them were in the past 10 years. I'm personally very satisfied with the "bang for the buck" that the Journey offers. You can't touch this thing with anything offered by any other manufacturer when you factor in cost to own, build quality, and features... It is a no brainer.

Edited by Lobitz68

Lobitz68, Since you have not owned a Honda for 10 years, you have no basis for comparison. i have owned Hondas since 1989 and have had no trouble. Solid cars, great mileage, and you get what you pay for. Every Honda we purchased has had everything installed that was promised. It is evident from the posts that I have read that Dodge has a problem delivering things that should be installed standard at the factory.

A bad dealer experience goes a long way towards a sour ownership.

I couldn't agree more, fortunately I have had a very solid relationship with my dealer, a small town dealer, 45 miles east of where I live. He has treated me very well for over 20 years, I was a very strong GM person until then and to date, I have had 6 vehicles from him since.

Terry

Lobitz68, Since you have not owned a Honda for 10 years, you have no basis for comparison. i have owned Hondas since 1989 and have had no trouble. Solid cars, great mileage, and you get what you pay for. Every Honda we purchased has had everything installed that was promised. It is evident from the posts that I have read that Dodge has a problem delivering things that should be installed standard at the factory.

What is evident from the posts you have read is that people buy without understanding what they are purchasing... What "should" be installed is opinion at best unless you are talking about government mandated safety or environmental features. The problem is people think they need all these stupid little features and think that they should be installed, but never check before signing on the line. Then all of a sudden it is the manufacturers fault because the consumer is too lazy to make sure they know what they are buying. And, I do currently own a Honda, it was just not manufactured in the last 10 years... Regardless of that, I know several people that have them (I'm sure we all do) and can easily use those vehicles as a basis for comparison. You simply pay more for the same thing with brands like Honda and Toyota due to a perceived reliability. Which is fine, these manufacturers have obviously earned this perceived reliability. Either way you look at it, the problem isn't Dodge (or any other manufacturer), it is consumers making assumptions based on God knows what, and then getting pissed when their assumptions turn out to be inaccurate.

While I understand this may not be applicable in this

instance FYI:

A point to remember is that the DJ DRLs are only actually "ON"

that is powered when the gear select is in Drive.

Turning the headlights on and putting it in Park getting out

to check will result in no lit DRL.

Assumption is based on the UConnect panel indicating that the daytime running lights are turned on when in fact they are not. This is not the consumer making a wrong assumption, it is Dodge not following through.

Hmmm... I checked every feature before I bought mine. I also checked the window sticker and options list. There were no surprises because I checked... Either way you look at it, it is an assumption and is the fault of the consumer. DRL's are very clearly indicated on the build sheet and window sticker, so if one took the 30 seconds to read either of those they would notice that they were not equipped. Now if a dealer told you it was and it turned out not to be, that would be an issue (though still not an issue with the manufacturer).

I still don't understand why everyone wants those stupid DRLs anyways... I would rather not have them. Of course I find it quite easy to turn the headlight knob to the right in instances of low visibility...

I still don't understand why everyone wants those stupid DRLs anyways... I would rather not have them. Of course I find it quite easy to turn the headlight knob to the right in instances of low visibility...

Perhaps you should read this study. Particularly the European and Canadian results were quite significant. Likely due to further north locales, where daylight is winter months is less than say the southern US. I hardly think that they are stupid.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov%2FPubs%2F809760.pdf&ei=xpUgVLunJs3boATVgIGgCg&usg=AFQjCNEYiLVPpBOEXgY2z9V0rxWuVyr1bA&bvm=bv.75775273,d.cGU

We are all entitled to your own opinions but I truly think DRL's are beneficial to daytime driving, IMO there is nothing wrong with being seen by others during the day.

Minnesota is just below us so I am sure they have long cold dark winter nights also.

In my case safety over rules vanity which is why I personally happy with my DRL's and be seen safely during the day.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Folks keep mentioning night-time. Remember, DRLs are for daylight; not night when your headlights will already be on. I find DRLs most beneficial and visible during sunny days when attempting to identify whether there is an oncoming vehicle when thinking about a pass on a two lane road. That said, I use them when traveling on long stretches of road and not when in town. When traveling its one less thing I need to think about and when I'm home I simply turn them off. Love the touch screen functionality.

Not sure why this situation of no dealership activation for DRLs has arisen, but I think those who want to have them enabled should be able to. There may be a software or hardware reason. I'd like to see Dodge just make them standard. Just my opinion.

Peace.

We are all entitled to your own opinions but I truly think DRL's are beneficial to driving, IMO there is nothing wrong with being seen by others. Minnesota is just below us so I am sure they have long cold dark winter nights also.

Terry

Very long cold and dark, ha! Though at night I use my headlights since that is what is required (not to mention safest).

Edited by Lobitz68

Folks keep mentioning night-time. Remember, DRLs are for daylight; not night when your headlights will already be on. I find DRLs most beneficial and visible during sunny days when attempting to identify whether there is an oncoming vehicle when thinking about a pass on a two lane road. That said, I use them when traveling on long stretches of road and not when in town. When traveling its one less thing I need to think about and when I'm home I simply turn them off. Love the touch screen functionality.

Not sure why this situation of no dealership activation for DRLs has arisen, but I think those who want to have them enabled should be able to. There may be a software or hardware reason. I'd like to see Dodge just make them standard. Just my opinion.

Peace.

Journeyman425 and DodgeCares have both verified that starting in 2014 if they are not enabled at the factory, they can not be enabled period.

Perhaps you should read this study. Particularly the European and Canadian results were quite significant. Likely due to further north locales, where daylight is winter months is less than say the southern US. I hardly think that they are stupid.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CCYQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov%2FPubs%2F809760.pdf&ei=xpUgVLunJs3boATVgIGgCg&usg=AFQjCNEYiLVPpBOEXgY2z9V0rxWuVyr1bA&bvm=bv.75775273,d.cGU

This study has many flaws (as one would expect with something like vehicle crashes) and the p-values are only marginally statistically significant in most cases. I wouldn't rest my hat on this analysis as the end all proving the effectiveness of DRLs. I think you would have to design a study in order to control other variables enough to make a statistically convincing conclusion about DRL effectiveness in reducing crashes, and that in itself would create bias that would ultimately skew the results enough to make that study questionable as well... There are simply too many variables to make any kind of conclusion with this data. Though I will admit that the author did a great job with what they had.

Stupid may have been a poor selection, but they are dull yellow lights on the front of a very aesthetically pleasing vehicle. It makes the vehicle look a LOT less appealing in my opinion.

Edited by Lobitz68

Folks keep mentioning night-time. Remember, DRLs are for daylight; not night when your headlights will already be on. I find DRLs most beneficial and visible during sunny days when attempting to identify whether there is an oncoming vehicle when thinking about a pass on a two lane road.

I agree with this, DRL's are for daytime driving, at night you would turn on your lights. It has a law here for so long I guess I am just used to it and appreciate it. Yesterday I was out of town with work and had to drive 500 miles roundtrip and half of that was on single lane highway so for me I liked the DRL's for oncoming traffic. Just my opinion though......... ;)

terry

Edited by Windancer

Though at night I use my headlights since that is what is required (not to mention safest).

We also use our headlights up here when it becomes dark, As has been mentioned DRL's are for daytime use only they give more visibility especially in oncomming traffic, I'm not sure they are dull yellow lights, they are whatever type of lights you are using just dimmed down.

Terry

My understanding is that the DRLs are lower intensity high beams, not yellow at all. At least mine are not... Dodge or the US government or whomever should make them standard, IMO. Then if the owner doesn't think they look cool, he or she can unchecked them in uconnect and forget about having DRLs. Makes sense, right? Right.

(Notice I said standard, not required.)

Peace.

My understanding is that the DRLs are lower intensity high beams, not yellow at all. At least mine are not... Dodge or the US government or whomever should make them standard, IMO. Then if the owner doesn't think they look cool, he or she can unchecked them in uconnect and forget about having DRLs. Makes sense, right? Right.

(Notice I said standard, not required.)

Peace.

Okay, not "yellow", but they have a dim appearance... The newer vehicles with the LEDs look fine IMO. I'm sure they will be required at some point (I think they already are in some states), but I'm pretty confident that they are standard on all new vehicles at this point.

Quote: "No US state mandates DRLs, but some require drivers to operate vehicles with lights on in bad weather." There are quite a few states that mandate the use of headlights (on) when using windshield wipers, but, no states require the use of DRLs. More and more vehicles, with a world wide presence, however, are manufacturing their vehicles, no matter what the destination, with DRLs installed. There are also a lot of roads where a state has mandated the use of headlights (not DRLs) on certain roads or in certain areas, and many states now require the use of headlights (again, not DRLs) in construction zones. In most circumstances, DRLs will get you by the headlight requirement, but, an LEO, if so inclined, can stop you since DRLs, technically don't meet the headlights "on" requirement. There is still no requirement, by the US government, for their mandatory inclusion on new vehicles. As more and more of the companies with a world-wide presence include them to reduce model differences (streamlines design and production if they are all the same), I suspect that the US will become a defacto location where DRLs will be the norm and not the exception. Already, I believe, GM, Volvo, SAAB, Subaru, Volkswagon and, now, even Mercedes includes them on the vehicles for the US market. Another reason, why Dodge making them even more difficult to "turn on" than they were on my 2013, a bizarre twist by a manufacturer, especially with Fiat's (another producer for the world-wide market) involvement in the corporate mindset.