OEM tires bald after 18000 miles

Mark Taylor

I will be considering Pirelli when the time comes to replace. A long time in the future atm, only have a bit over 1000km(620miles). Put them on my wifes Nitro and absolutely love them!! Very quiet, good traction and ride.

Don't put too much blame Kuhmo. Yes, they are the tire manufacturer, but Chrysler probably said "look, we want to buy a gazillion tires from you, but we don't want to pay very much for them." Most business would try to find a way to make that work somehow. In this case, they cut costs by shortening the life of the tire.

Actually the tire manufacturer (in this case Kuhmo) makes the tires specifically for the vehicle and they make it in a very soft compound, It may be the same model tire you and I can buy from a store, but they make them different for the manufacturer. That way, when you go on a test drive, you think, "wow, what a smooth ride".

12,500ish miles on my factory set, and no signs of premature tire wear. I'm in the bad habit of not really paying attending to my tires and I replace them either when traction slips into a coma, or the tires are showing obvious losses in structural integrity. The Eagle RS-As that came on my Charger were "okay" when I bought it at 28,000 miles, but by 32,000 miles I had zero traction in light rain... which is not good on a car with 390 ft-lbs of torque and a driver always looking to have fun. Replaced them with Kumho Ecsta 4X, which were decent performers until two winters ago. Replaced them at 70,000 miles with Toyo Proxes 4 when it was apparent that the Kumho's didn't have enough tread to get me anywhere with snow on the ground. Those stuck to the road like glue, and never set off the traction control. I'll be looking for a set when my Solus' are dead, which I'm not expecting until after 30,000 miles.

• 1 year later...

The Kuhmo tires that came with my 2014 Journey are terrible! I have 23,000 mile on & they are basically bald. I drive only straight highway. I could see if I drove rough winding terrain, but this is ridiculous. I'm very disappointed with Dodge period & honestly can't recommend to anyone. My whole experience from the beginning has been awful & have had no reply from any level at Chrysler. From the switching of contracts to "missing" extras & $1,000 cash that ended up not making it onto my contract, it has been a nightmare.BTW HB Doge & Jeep is not the place to buy. The Manager was fired right after my purchase due to same issues, but Dodge has never fixed my situation. Too bad, that for the first time I'm so disillusioned I'm ready to go back to my '99 Camry.

As I've written, I found the 17" Kuhmo tires that were on my '11 to be just fine - lots of tread left at 32,000 miles and they were smooth and quiet.

If one axle's tires are both bald, the tires were not rotated properly. And assuming that the alignment was good as was the tire pressure, then look at the driving style and pavement composition. Some pavement, most notably 'chip and seal' can be like sandpaper - and OEM 'spec' tires are pretty much by definition going to trend towards grip and comfort over longevity.

As to numbers 'not making it onto' your contract and switches of whatever sort, you are supposed to verify that sort of thing BEFORE signing and BEFORE accepting delivery of a vehicle.

Edited by bramfrank

• 1 month later...

When are people going to get the fact that the car manufacturer does NOT warranty the tires?  It falls back on the Tire Manufacturer.  This lame idiot should have taken his DJ to a Khumo Dealer and gotten a pro-rated warranty swap on a new set of tires.  Jeesh.  I know that he will never read this, but it may help someone who will.