OEM tires bald after 18000 miles

Mark Taylor

I certainly agree with FrogBox, Kumho is just doing what is asked of them, it's not their fault, if anyone is to blame it would be Chyrsler, and they were just trying to get as good a ride as possible. Kumho was just adhering to the specs as Chrysler asked for.

I am one of those people that has replaced the 225/55/19 stock Kumhos with 235/55/19 Michelin Latitudes HP's. As I have mentioned before, yes I would have liked to get more mileage from them am I blaming them No. In my case and my case only, I have no real complaints with my Kumhos even though others may have some legimate concerns.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

Yep, and they have a low rolling resistance too, which should help get a tiny bit better fuel economy. Those are the tires I am going with this spring when the winters come off.

I will be going with the 255/50-19. They are only 1% larger circumference than the stock 225's compared the 235's which are 1.5% larger. They are also cheaper than the 235's by a couple bucks each, so is a better option. Its the stock size for many SUV's like the Mercedes M's and the BMW X's, so a more common size.

Stock 225 vs 235's:

225x55xR19-235x55xR19.png
Stock 225 vs 255's:

225x55xR19-255x50xR19.png

I thought about getting them in the 255/50/19 size. I was just too worried they would be too wide to fit the stock wheel width. And that they might rub on the suspension or other parts while turning. You'll have to let us know how they work out when you get them.

The 255's are only 30mm wider, so 15mm on either side of the centerline. They should not rub or hit anything with only 15mm extra poke.

As for rim size, the stock 19"rims are 7.5" wide. As per the chart on tire rack, a 255 tire will fit on rims between 7" and 9" wide. So no issues there either.

The only car I have ever owned that came with good tires right from the factory was a VW Jetta that had Michelin tires. They lasted forever.

Thank you my point exactly....it's the reason why Michelin's are held in very high regard as opposed to Khumo's. The dollars maybe good today but a bad reputation will last a very long time.

True, but even thought I was super happy with the longevity of the tires, I have never purchased a set of Michelin's since then either. So quality does not always mean more business. Michelin's are great tires, but very expensive. I am a middle of the road kind of guy. Don't get the most expensive, but don't cheap out either. Especially when safety is concerned, as is the case with tires. I'm going with Yokohama based several factors......tire tread life, low rolling resistance, reasonable price, and by reading reviews on tire sites from actual users of the tire. I didn't even consider Michelin's due to the higher price.

Don't get the most expensive, but don't cheap out either. Especially when safety is concerned, as is the case with tires. I'm going with Yokohama based several factors......tire tread life, low rolling resistance, reasonable price, and by reading reviews on tire sites from actual users of the tire. I didn't even consider Michelin's due to the higher price.

There are several ways of looking at your arguement, the main one is that your 3800 lb. beast has only 4 contact points with the road, each of these are probably only about 40 sq. in. Michelins are not the cheapest tire nor are they even close to the most expensive. I guess the question becomes "what is your safety and your family's safety worth to you. The Yohama's are probably very good tires, they were more money where I live.

I bought my Michelin Latitude HP's at my local Cosco after getting prices from several tire dealers around my city. Yes I was somewhat surprised at the cost, but I knew going iin a 19" tire was going to be more money, just a simple fact of the economics at this time. This is something I had considered when I originally bought the car 4 years ago.

As I have said in the past, I am very happy with my tires, especially considering the winter we have had out here. Just my own thoughts on this subject...... ;)

Terry

I don't totally buy into OEM tires spec'd so that they wear out quickly though I can understand if they are a softer compound to give a nice soft ride- yes, they may wear quicker if a driver is aggressive.

If this is true, can someone explain how the OEM Michelins on my Ram lasted 111,000 miles?

The OEM Kumho's on both the '09 Journey and the '10 Journey we've had were basically worn out at 40K miles. I put Firestone Affinity tires on the '10 at 42K miles and after 30K they are about 1/3 worn. Funny how the ride feels the same as the Kumho's.

The OEM tires (forget what brand - GY I think) I had on the '92 Acclaim we bought new lasted 60K miles easily.

Whether the Kumho's were spec'd by Chrysler or not, I am not impressed and won't purchase them as replacement tire for any vehicle I have in the future.

I don't totally buy into OEM tires spec'd so that they wear out quickly though I can understand if they are a softer compound to give a nice soft ride- yes, they may wear quicker if a driver is aggressive.

If this is true, can someone explain how the OEM Michelins on my Ram lasted 111,000 miles?

The OEM Kumho's on both the '09 Journey and the '10 Journey we've had were basically worn out at 40K miles. I put Firestone Affinity tires on the '10 at 42K miles and after 30K they are about 1/3 worn. Funny how the ride feels the same as the Kumho's.

The OEM tires (forget what brand - GY I think) I had on the '92 Acclaim we bought new lasted 60K miles easily.

Whether the Kumho's were spec'd by Chrysler or not, I am not impressed and won't purchase them as replacement tire for any vehicle I have in the future.

I would have to guess truck tires dont fall into this catagory as a truck rides rough no matter what tire is on it, plus a truck has to tow/haul more payload than a car so they cant make the tires soft like they do for passenger cars. Driving style has a lot to do with how long any tire lasts. The OEM Kuhmo's on our 09 lasted till just after 40,000 miles. I have no problem with that. I just realize OEM tires "could" wear out prematurely and the reason for that is proven.

My Journey just hit 30,000 miles and the tires are junk. Fronts are worse than the back but all four are rough. It's a 2011 Mainstreet that I bought back in November. I've got 4 new Goodyears that I'm going to install tomorrow. Hopefully they last longer than the stockers did.

Edited by DM-15

I would have to guess truck tires dont fall into this catagory as a truck rides rough no matter what tire is on it, plus a truck has to tow/haul more payload than a car so they cant make the tires soft like they do for passenger cars. Driving style has a lot to do with how long any tire lasts. The OEM Kuhmo's on our 09 lasted till just after 40,000 miles. I have no problem with that. I just realize OEM tires "could" wear out prematurely and the reason for that is proven.

Yes, trucks have a different mission (carrying heavier loads and towing) than most passenger vehicles so, yes, truck tires usually last longer. My '06 has a rougher ride than our Journey, but it's not as rough as previous trucks I've driven. The 4th generation Ram's ('09+) with the coil spring set up have a car like ride - we had a '10 Ram 1500 with the 4.7L for a weekend at the dealer's expense when our Journey was having some recalls taken care of. The '10 Ram rode just as smooth as the Journey - better than my '06, but I still preferred my '06 with its Hemi (345hp). The 4.7L (330 hp) just didn't have the same pull.

Furthermore - trucks with the old leaf spring set up (like my '06) actually ride smoother when they have a load in the bed. It's when they're empty they tend to bounce around a bit.

Edited by Doug D

Buy Pirelli tires. those khumo tire are no good on a journey. I replaced my just under 40,000 miles. I believe that's what they are rated to last. I love the Pirelli tires, better handling and ride. [/size]

Kuhmo's are just fine on the Journey. Lasting just under 40,000 miles sounds pretty good to me if they were OEM tires. Other's have had to replace them much sooner, others later. It's been stated over and over. Driving style and proper rotation/pressure/balancing has sooo much to do with how long tires last. We are at 15,000 with out OEM Kuhmo's right now. They still have the little nubs on them on the sidewalls. I rotate every 5,000 and check pressures monthly. I could prove myself wrong, but will keep everyone updated on how long I can make these last. Maybe we should start a poll to see the differences in how long folks can make OEM tires last.... ;)

Kuhmo's are just fine on the Journey. Lasting just under 40,000 miles sounds pretty good to me if they were OEM tires. Other's have had to replace them much sooner, others later. It's been stated over and over. Driving style and proper rotation/pressure/balancing has sooo much to do with how long tires last. We are at 15,000 with out OEM Kuhmo's right now. They still have the little nubs on them on the sidewalls. I rotate every 5,000 and check pressures monthly. I could prove myself wrong, but will keep everyone updated on how long I can make these last. Maybe we should start a poll to see the differences in how long folks can make OEM tires last.... ;)

I always felt that the Kuhmo tires made my journey too soft of a ride. Too bouncy i guess. I also check those tires every week with tire pressure and rotations at the right time. But when I put a set of Pirelli's, damn what a difference in ride and handling that I didnt get from the Kuhmos. I kind of like the journey although the wife drives it more than me, We had our minor and major problems with it. Over all, it's a decent vehicle.

I always felt that the Kuhmo tires made my journey too soft of a ride. Too bouncy i guess. I also check those tires every week with tire pressure and rotations at the right time. But when I put a set of Pirelli's, damn what a difference in ride and handling that I didnt get from the Kuhmos. I kind of like the journey although the wife drives it more than me, We had our minor and major problems with it. Over all, it's a decent vehicle.

Same here, it's the "wife's car" (even though I pay for it : ) If I drove it every day, I'd have had it to the dealer already for the funky transmission shifting and the annoying clunk going from park to drive, but since she drives it and does not complain, I leave it alone. If something breaks, I'll deal with it then. But, overall, I am extremely pleased with this vehicle. Comfortable, sharp looking, great performance, decent mileage for a 7 passenger CUV.

Edited by jkeaton

Same here, it's the "wife's car" (even though I pay for it : ) If I drove it every day, I'd have had it to the dealer already for the funky transmission shifting and the annoying clunk going from park to drive, but since she drives it and does not complain, I leave it alone. If something breaks, I'll deal with it then. But, overall, I am extremely pleased with this vehicle. Comfortable, sharp looking, great performance, decent mileage for a 7 passenger CUV.

Lol.. Yea, we always pay!!!! The wife also remarks how it rides and handles better with the Pirelli tires. Right now our Journey is at the dealership because the water pump started to leak. We have 58,000 miles on it and its a 2009 SXT 3.5 V6. We are also having the timing belt changed since they have it all open and the dealer recommended the change.

• 4 months later...

I shot a email to service manager at my dealership asking about the warranty on the tires and he responded back:

The Kumho tire warranty is pro rated by milage and we would handle it here at the dealership if you needed something. The warranty is only based on defects not because a tire has worn out or because it gets a puncture.

• 7 months later...

The tires on my last DJ were fine when I traded it on the present one. There were 54000 km (about 32000 miles) on them with lots left. Those were the 17" tires. The new one only has about 3000 miles on 19" tires . : . I suppose we'll see if the larger tires make a difference.

Probably driving style... Taking corners at high speeds, driving generally fast, road conditions, maintenance... All of these things play a large role in tire wear.

So totally true. Over the years, the vehicles my wife has used as her daily driver usually need brakes before tires. Mine, it's tires before brakes.

Edited by jkeaton

• 1 month later...

rotated my 19 inch tires today 2nd time got about 19k on them,they are still looking great but dam these 19 inch tires and rims are heavy or i am getting older.LOL i really do like the crossroad rims as they don't show the dust on them like the 17 rims did,

Edited by 2late4u

Buy Pirelli tires. those khumo tire are no good on a journey. I replaced my just under 40,000 miles. I believe that's what they are rated to last. I love the Pirelli tires, better handling and ride.

I will be considering Pirelli when the time comes to replace. A long time in the future atm, only have a bit over 1000km(620miles). Put them on my wifes Nitro and absolutely love them!! Very quiet, good traction and ride.

Don't put too much blame Kuhmo. Yes, they are the tire manufacturer, but Chrysler probably said "look, we want to buy a gazillion tires from you, but we don't want to pay very much for them." Most business would try to find a way to make that work somehow. In this case, they cut costs by shortening the life of the tire.