Doors (sometimes) unlock when I walk away .. FOBIK with me

On 4/3/2017 at 7:43 PM, pontiac1940 said:

Hi again

Well as the original poster with 3½ years of experience with this problem....;) Same old ... same old. It is a random occasional flaw and there is no fix according to Dodge. That's what I've been told. So I live with it.

My DJ still does this on occasion after all this time. Maybe once per month. It annoys me, but life goes on. Fortunately we are warned with the three chirps. What I wrote some time ago still applies " It is a flaw in the sensors and not because people are not following protocol." It has nada to do with cell phones or ATMs. It ONLY happens when the doors are locked using the inside lock button. And as I said before I want to lock the doors silently so continue to use the inside lock. 

HA HA ... and some folks think we will all be riding about driverless cars in a few year. Okay fine.  :)      :soapbox:     :)

I will say other than this annoyance and few minor glitches, the DJ  has run well. Change the oil as directed and that's about it. (Touch wood.) 

Good luck

Clive

I believe you are right about the it is a sensor flaw. It has done it 1 more time on Good Friday at a restaurant I have been to with this DJ. Glad for the 3 chirps so we know when it happens and we can lock it with the fob then.

• 2 years later...
On 1/27/2014 at 5:58 PM, pontiac1940 said:

Hi. I am new here. I have a frustrating issue with our new 2014 Journey CVP. The dealer is looking into this. It's been in once but the intermittent problem continues. Please let me know if you've experienced this and if it was fixed. Thanks. Here is a description...(I wrote this out for the dealer.) Added bold for emphasis.

PROBLEM: THE DOORS UNLOCK (and the horn chirps three times) WHEN I WALK AWAY (and the fobik is with me not in the DJ.)

About eight or ten times since getting the Journey, when I walk away from the vehicle, the horn chirps three times and the doors unlock. It acts as if the fob is inside the Journey when it is not...it is in my pocket. These few occurrences were out of (what?) perhaps 100 times locking it and walking away — so maybe one in ten times. I’ve tried it several times at home and can’t make it happen, so it is very intermittent. It is a tad worrisome as I don’t want the vehicle unlocked when I am shopping.

1. I lock the doors with the inside door panel lock button. I get out, walk away and the horn chirps three times and the doors unlock.

2. The fobik is loose inside my coat or jean pocket. There is no way the keys are subject to pressure, thus accidentally activating the unlock button. In any case, if the “unlock” button is pushed, the horn does not beep three times.

3. This has happened when I’ve been alone and with my wife — there’s not another fobik involved when I am alone.

4. It only happens after I get 10 to 20 feet away from the vehicle.

5. The 2014 Journey owner’s manual (page 39,) states,

If one of the vehicle’s Passive Entry RKE transmitters is detected inside the vehicle, and no other valid Passive Entry RKE transmitters are detected outside the vehicle, the Passive Entry System automatically unlocks all vehicle doors and chirps the horn three times …

6. The event is similar to leaving the fob in the car, locking the door and walking way. EXCEPT when the fob is inside, the horn chirps and the doors unlock when I am only 2 or 3 feet away. The “accidental” unlocking has only happened when I am 10 to 20 feet away.

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks

CAS

aka pontiac1940

Alberta, Canada

This same thing is happening to me. I bought my 2017 Dodge journey used at a Honda dealership. It only came with 1 key fob. I've tried quickly running away from the vehicle. I really need it to stop. I work early in the morning and the employee parking is right next to people's homes. I keep the fob in my backpack at all times because I have a tendency of losing things, therefore I use the button on the door to lock it. I keep no other electronics in my pack besides occasionally my Kindle paper white on airplane mode.

get use to it, i have a 2014 and when locking the vech by hand and then walking away most of the time no problem but sometimes every once in a while it will beep and unlock. just use your fob to lock the journey and you will never have the problem as you describe...

Trooper:

I drove the DJ from Oct 2014 until Feb 2018. This problem was acknowledged by Chrysler, but no solution was ever offered because they never had one..because they never knew the exact cause. This continued to happen on occasion the entire 3½ years we had the DJ.  Was annoying. Happened maybe once a month or so. Just don't disable the chirping or you will not know  that it has happened. 

We drove the DJ about 110,000 km before trading it off and I never spent one dime on it or had any mechanical or other electrical issues. We traded to a NIssan Rogue with AWD because my only major complaint about the DJ was it was terrible on ice and snow....worst winter traction I've ever experienced. But the DJ was very economical 

Good luck.