No Key Detected

I have a 2011 Journey and today when I got out of my vehicle and pushed the button on the driver handle to lock the vehicle, it did not respond. I tried using my FOB and it did not respond. I then opened the door and used the power door lock and it locked the doors. I went on to do my errand and then when I came back, I tried opening the door by the door handle and it didn't respond. I tried my key FOB and it didn't respond. I used the emergency key to unlock it and then when I opened the door the alarm went off and I could not start the vehicle. The message said "Key Not Detected". I thought maybe it was the battery in the FOB, although I have not seen a low battery message. I went into the store and bought a new battery, still didn't work. I had to get my vehicle towed to the dealership. Any ideas what the cause may be?

With a little research I have found that other Chrysler products with the "No Key Detected" have also had this issue as well. There is a TSB for those vehicles that involves flash reprogramming the Wireless Ignition Node (WIN) with new software. I'm not sure if the Journey also has a TSB for this issue but i'm guessing that would correct the problem.

Strange occurrence as I think it has been posted once before,

I appreciate not everyone is capable of doing this but my first

effort in this case would be disconnecting the negative(-) cable

from the battery boost point for about 5-10 minutes in an effort

to reset the TIPM as it may save a tow/dealer cost.

• 5 months later...

This just happened to me with my new 2014 Journey. "No key detected". I actually parked, turned off the engine, came out and no response with pressing the door lock. I first though that my passenger may not have locked his door properly but it was. So I got back in the car to restart it and that's when I got the "no key detected". I called my sister to bring my second key and got the same response. So I called the dealer (car is only a month old) and they had no answer since both keys were tried. I called Chrysler Roadside assistance and arranged a tow. Unfortunately I was parked on the 5th floor so it limited the size of tow truck available. After 3 hours an appropriate sized tow arrived, lifted it up from the rear (I was parked forward), pulled it out a few feet, went inside to lock the steering wheel and it just started. Yet I had tried several times over the 3 hr wait and the tow truck driver also tried on first arrival.

I drove it to the dealer and nothing found, specifically no codes found. A mystery!

It happens to me randomly! After i parked my vehicle i went out and when i come back nothing is working. Touching door handle to unlock wont work, even pressing unlock on my remote didnt work also! The solution is unlocking the door manuallywith key in the fob. It alarm like hell. Getting inside car press ignition with nose of fob and it starts!

Ridiculous thing is i brought it to dealer but cant duplicate the issue. Im driving it every day and it happens atleast twice every month!

I don't know how different the ignition interlock system is on the DJ

but my previous Dodge Caliber had an interlock cable from gearshifter

to steering wheel assy.

To make a long story short reports quite similar were remedied by

rotating the steering wheel against the locking mechanism.

In several instances the cable required adjustment when this was

happening often.

I don't know how different the ignition interlock system is on the DJ

but my previous Dodge Caliber had an interlock cable from gearshifter

to steering wheel assy.

To make a long story short reports quite similar were remedied by

rotating the steering wheel against the locking mechanism.

In several instances the cable required adjustment when this was

happening often.

You might be right since mine started once the tow truck driver rotated the steering wheel to lock it.

Thank you for the tip.

• Official Dodge Support

It happens to me randomly! After i parked my vehicle i went out and when i come back nothing is working. Touching door handle to unlock wont work, even pressing unlock on my remote didnt work also! The solution is unlocking the door manuallywith key in the fob. It alarm like hell. Getting inside car press ignition with nose of fob and it starts!

Ridiculous thing is i brought it to dealer but cant duplicate the issue. Im driving it every day and it happens atleast twice every month!

Chris1276,

I understand the frustrations when it comes to an issue that is intermittent.

Your dealer will do what they can however it's so important they see the issue happening to ensure the proper repairs take place.

Hopefully they'll have the chance to see it happen in order to resolve accordingly.

• 2 months later...

I have a 2013 Dodge Journey and I've now had the "key not detected" problem twice resulting in my having to leave the car at work and get a ride home. I now carry both key fobs in case one works, but last night neither did. The dealer wasn't helpful the first time and had no idea what could be wrong. The tech I spoke with said to tap the fob on a hard surface to get it to work. I've changed the battery in the main fob with no sucess. The strange thing is the fob worked the next morning both times. I'll call the local dealer again, but now that it's working I have a feeling they won't be able to do anything for me. This is ridiculous for a one year old vehicle.

I have not had this situation on my 2011, but the first thing I would try is to unhook the battery for 15 minutes to reset the system. If it occurs again I would try the steering wheel rotation suggested above. Next time it occurs whip out your camera and document it. Heck film it with your camera. Show that to your dealer. Good Luck.

Peace.

I have a 2013 Dodge Journey and I've now had the "key not detected" problem twice resulting in my having to leave the car at work and get a ride home. I now carry both key fobs in case one works, but last night neither did. The dealer wasn't helpful the first time and had no idea what could be wrong. The tech I spoke with said to tap the fob on a hard surface to get it to work. I've changed the battery in the main fob with no sucess. The strange thing is the fob worked the next morning both times. I'll call the local dealer again, but now that it's working I have a feeling they won't be able to do anything for me. This is ridiculous for a one year old vehicle.

Next time that happens, you can press the start button with the rounded end of the fob and it ought to start. I've had a bit of trouble with my fob lately as well.

Is your vehicle under warranty complete with roadside assistance? If so, have road side assistance come and get the vehicle started and if they can't have it towed to the dealer where the dealer is now forced to fix your issue. If that dealer can't fix it then have them tow it to another dealership that can. It's silly that you have to bring two fobs with you when you shouldn't have to.

I agree with SeXT, but if you don't want the dealership to have you DJ forever or have multiple failed repair attempts, I'd definitely try to find a way to either remedy (not fix) the problem or reproduce the problem before taking for service. A little detective work on your end will likely be invaluable to the tech. Good luck.

Peace.

• Official Dodge Support

Did you have your keys next to your cell phone or a speed pass? Sometimes this may cause interference with the key fob.

Did you have your keys next to your cell phone or a speed pass? Sometimes this may cause interference with the key fob.

This happens to me from time to time as I keep my keys and cell phone in the same pocket in my laptop backpack...

Edited by Lobitz68

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have an appointment for Wednesday at the dealership. One of the key fobs has stopped working entirely, so maybe it was contributing to the situation. I am concerned, though, that if at least one fob is working, the dealership won't be able to troubleshoot the problem. If they can't find anything, I'll call roadside assistance and have it towed when it does this again.

My keys are kept in a separate part of my purse from my phone so I don't think interference is the issue.

• Official Dodge Support

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I have an appointment for Wednesday at the dealership. One of the key fobs has stopped working entirely, so maybe it was contributing to the situation. I am concerned, though, that if at least one fob is working, the dealership won't be able to troubleshoot the problem. If they can't find anything, I'll call roadside assistance and have it towed when it does this again.

My keys are kept in a separate part of my purse from my phone so I don't think interference is the issue.

Let us posted after dealer inspection.

This happened to me with my 2014 Journey but it corrected itself once it was hooked up to a tow truck (3 hrs later). The car suddenly recognized the key when the steering wheel was locked for towing. I then read another thread that a Durango owner felt it was also related to an unlocked steering wheel when the car is parked and off.

Then a few weeks ago it happened to my 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It's 4 years old and I never experienced this with the Jeep. Again, I had just parked, turned off the car, got out, but the door lock would not work. Going back into the car I saw the "key fob not detected". Learning from my Journey experience, I rocked the steering wheel and immediately the key was recognized.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Red G8R

I will give the steering wheel thing a try. The dealer found no problems with the car.

The dealer found no problem with my Journey either.

The idea that the steering wheel lock affecting the start process isn't unknown. Have you ever experienced starting a keyed car and the key would not turn if the steering wheel was not in the right locked position? Then by slightly rotating the steering wheel it allows the key to turn and start the engine.

• 1 month later...

My problem is while working with my friend, I leave my key fob and wallet in his truck all day. Now that it is winter I am unable to unlock the Journey. I pull the handle, press the key fob to unlock and nothing happen. I guess the key fob is too cold.! I have to warm it up (keep it in my hands for 5 mins) and than it will unlock the Journey. I notice that if I go in the back of the Journey and press the button to unlock the back door it will open it. I do not know what to get out of this problem. But the next morning I have to problem open the door has it was in the house all night. Is that strange or what. Anyone else have this problem. May be it is too cold in Quebec for the Journey. Lol

• 2 weeks later...