Took delivery today

YellowDuck

Welcome from a fellow R/T owner in New Mexico.. regarding the code scanner i believe local parts store does this service for free. OBDII systems, they check for free/.

This is true. However, I prefer the convenience of having my own scanner so I dont have to drive somewhere to get a code read for me.

• 4 weeks later...

Update at 2.5 months and 6000 km. Car is still perfect - not a single problem and I still love driving it (on the odd day when my wife lets me). Satellite radio rocks. Heated seats and wheel are awesome as it is still -15 C here some mornings (?!?!?). Efficiency is getting a bit better - we are seeing 12.7 L / 100 km over a tankful when there are significant highway miles in the mix, but I am hoping that that will improve further as the weather warms up. Did a bit of light towing with it and that was fine, but thank heavens for the backup camera because I couldn't see the trailer at all out the rear window. But with the camera I could back the trailer into the driveway very nicely thank you very much.

The 3.6 is such a nice motor, and I am now used to the slightly busy shifting behavior of the 6-speed. Keyless entry / start has made getting into our other cars seem like an inconvenience. How quickly we get spoiled! We did learn however that the locks don't work if the transponder is in the same pocket with a cell phone.

Anyway, just posting to say how pleased we still are with our new car. Will update every 6 months or so, or if any problems arise. Still keen to see how it handles the rough road into the cottage this spring.

Cheers!

I'm not surprised that you're enjoying your Journey. It is interesting though that you're reporting decent gas mileage even with winter fuel, while some with AWD have been complaining about the opposite. It makes me wonder what they do differently. For the weight of the vehicle and the performance (smooth as butter) of the V6, I'm quite happy. P.S. I like the satellite radio too.

Update at 2.5 months and 6000 km. Car is still perfect - not a single problem and I still love driving it (on the odd day when my wife lets me). Satellite radio rocks. Heated seats and wheel are awesome as it is still -15 C here some mornings (?!?!?). Efficiency is getting a bit better - we are seeing 12.7 L / 100 km over a tankful when there are significant highway miles in the mix, but I am hoping that that will improve further as the weather warms up. Did a bit of light towing with it and that was fine, but thank heavens for the backup camera because I couldn't see the trailer at all out the rear window. But with the camera I could back the trailer into the driveway very nicely thank you very much.

The 3.6 is such a nice motor, and I am now used to the slightly busy shifting behavior of the 6-speed. Keyless entry / start has made getting into our other cars seem like an inconvenience. How quickly we get spoiled! We did learn however that the locks don't work if the transponder is in the same pocket with a cell phone.

Anyway, just posting to say how pleased we still are with our new car. Will update every 6 months or so, or if any problems arise. Still keen to see how it handles the rough road into the cottage this spring.

Cheers!

Happy to hear someone else is pleased with the DJ. We absolutely love ours! The only complaint is that bright red paint shows dirt so easily.....I wash it like twice a week...lol

YellowDuck - I love mine too, and the satellite is nice, but it sounds digitzed (if that makes sense). Great driving experience for sure.

jkeaton - if you think red is rough, try black... my god, I might go crazy trying to keep this thing clean! Can't wait for some warm weather so I can put a THICK coat of wax on her.

jkeaton - if you think red is rough, try black... my god, I might go crazy trying to keep this thing clean! Can't wait for some warm weather so I can put a THICK coat of wax on her.

I would agree, I had a black Dodge Caravan and a PT Cruiser convertible that were both black and they were both a nightmare to keep clean and wax.

Terry

141743222.jpg

Yep. That's one of the reasons I chose white this time around. Don't even need to buff it after pressure washing because you can't see any water marks.

You pressure wash your car? Ouch.

Pressure washers are for decks and sidewalks. Not for washing cars. :)

Edited by jkeaton

I would agree, I had a black Dodge Caravan and a PT Cruiser convertible that were both black and they were both a nightmare to keep clean and wax.

Terry

141743222.jpg

PT Cruiser...what were you thinking man? That automobile is as cute as the singer from Quebec who did the commercial song for it :lol:

My feelings about keeping my Journey clean are well documented on this forum!

http://www.dodgejourneyforum.com/topic/4855-i-have-an-obsession-with-cleaning-this-car/

PT Cruiser...what were you thinking man? That automobile is as cute as the singer from Quebec who did the commercial song for it :lol:

True it was a great vehicle and I was a litle sorry to sell it, but this is what replaced it. I was in a car show last September and I always had people wanting to take a photo of it, refer to the reflection in the bumper.

Terry

152300918.jpg

Edited by Windancer

Yep. That's one of the reasons I chose white this time around. Don't even need to buff it after pressure washing because you can't see any water marks.

I also have a white Journey, first white car I have ever owned, and I like it more now than when I bought it.

Terry

146733255.jpg

You pressure wash your car? Ouch.

Pressure washers are for decks and sidewalks. Not for washing cars. :)

No, I mean the "do it yourself" touchless car wash places where you put money in the machine and spray the car with the high pressure wand thingy.

Now, the motorcycle just gets a wet rag and a bucket, no hose ever. Only a barbarian would take a hose to a motorcycle...

Edited by YellowDuck

. Did a bit of light towing with it and that was fine, but thank heavens for the backup camera because I couldn't see the trailer at all out the rear window. But with the camera I could back the trailer into the driveway very nicely thank you very much.

Amusing to me, because we tow a small pop-up camper. I used to tow it with my 300M and all I could see through the rear window was the camper and nothing else. Now with the Journey, I can see clear over the top of it and behind as well which certainly instills a lot more confidence!

Like yourself, we love the car more and more as the time passes and the miles accrue (now 16,000 and 10 months). Also like yours, zero problems. Driving to see my folks tomorrow and I'm looking forward to the 100-mile-each-way drive almost as much as the visit itself!

• 1 month later...

Coming up on 9000 km and still not a single problem to report. The EVIC told me it was time to change the oil, so I did that myself. The weird cartridge oil filter doo-dad is pretty neat - very conveniently located on top of the engine, and it is easy to remove without getting oil everywhere.

My dealership is pretty cool, especially the parts desk. I was expecting to get a scolding for having the audacity to do the oil change myself - some dealers would try to tell you that you would endanger your warranty or something of you didn't pay them to do a "multi-point inspection" at the first oil change, but not these guys. "Here's your filter cartridge and a printout from the service manual on how to change it....but it's pretty easy, you should have no problems."

Barring any recalls or malfunctions, the dealer will see the car once per year, and then only to do the work that the maintenance schedule actually lists, not the extra stuff that the service manager "highly recommends".

Coming up on 9000 km and still not a single problem to report. The EVIC told me it was time to change the oil, so I did that myself. The weird cartridge oil filter doo-dad is pretty neat - very conveniently located on top of the engine, and it is easy to remove without getting oil everywhere.

My dealership is pretty cool, especially the parts desk. I was expecting to get a scolding for having the audacity to do the oil change myself - some dealers would try to tell you that you would endanger your warranty or something of you didn't pay them to do a "multi-point inspection" at the first oil change, but not these guys. "Here's your filter cartridge and a printout from the service manual on how to change it....but it's pretty easy, you should have no problems."

Barring any recalls or malfunctions, the dealer will see the car once per year, and then only to do the work that the maintenance schedule actually lists, not the extra stuff that the service manager "highly recommends".

Save all your oil and filter receipts and keep track of what mileage you changed your oil at because if something does happen and you cannot prove that regular maintenance was performed on the vehicle your warranty will be void.

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago I finally got to give this car my "ultimate test", which was to see how it handled the rough, wash-boardy and pot-holey road into our cottage. Our 2008 Wrangler Unlimited gets pretty flustered over that road at anything above a walking pace - those two live axles really get bouncing!

The DJ was another world. A pass with flying colours. Really, it would be hard not to be better than the Jeep, but we were still very pleased. Also generally a much more comfortable place to be for the almost 3-h highway trip up there to the lake.

• 3 months later...

Just hit the 25,000 km mark, with not a single problem to report. I am doing the service according to the "change oil" message, which is a bit freaky when it goes 16k without wanting oil.

Still love the car. Have learned a few cool new things about it. Like, I just discovered the "triple blink" turn signal lane change feature when you move the stalk but not all the way to the detent.

Cooler than that....going down steep hills with cruise control on, if the speed drifts up too high, the transmission will automagically downshift one or several gears to provide engine braking. When did cars start doing that? I was impressed.

This car was *so* the correct choice for my family. Perfect comfortable place for the 3-h trip to the cottage. Also, plenty of power, yet returning consumption better (lower) than 9.5 L / 100 km combined.

Edited by YellowDuck

Cooler than that....going down steep hills with cruise control on, if the speed drifts up too high, the transmission will automagically downshift one or several gears to provide engine braking. When did cars start doing that? I was impressed.

This car was *so* the correct choice for my family.

Chrysler has actually had that feature for years. My 2000 300M incorporates something called "grade logic" on its cruise control system. It also downshifts to 3rd (it's a four speed automatic 42LE transmission) if the speed increases significantly beyond the set speed. One thing that it does that the Journey does not is that when ascending a hill, the transmission stays in overdrive and the torque converter remains locked, using only the engine's power to maintain speed as opposed to downshifting right away to maintain speed. That irritates me to no end and it is so unnecessary. The 3.6 has more than ample power to maintain speed on most hills. Only if the speed drops with nearly full throttle applied will the 300M open the torque converter, and as a last resort will drop to 3rd to keep the pace. I think I only saw that once while driving 75 MPH on the Interstates in New Hampshire. I cannot understand why this programming was not incorporated in the Journey's 62TE transmission. If I ever get hold of one of the engineers, that's one question I would love to have explained.

Like you, this car is also the perfect fit for us - I can't imagine a more ideal size and configuration. We're always comfortable and there's always enough room for anything we need.

• 4 months later...

Well I am sad to report that our Journey's flawless reliability record came to a screeching halt at 33,000 km.

The disk player has been broken for quite a while (disk won't eject) but that wasn't an important enough issue for me to take it to the dealer until regular service was due.

Then, on Jan 5 we returned from vacation and picked the car up from the valet park and fly lot at the airport. The Nav wasn't working - said that there were no maps loaded on the unit. So, I took it to the dealer the next day. They examined it, decided both problems were internal to the radio and ordered a new radio. They told me to come get the car in the meantime since it would take a while for the radio to arrive.

The next day, various warning lights started coming on intermittently (ABS, traction control, and a "service AWD" message on the EVIC). Turning the car off and then on again would cancel them, but they eventually would come on again. I was able to ascertain that when the lights were off, ABS and traction control (and presumably AWD) were working normally, but when the lights came on all that stuff really was inoperative - easy to test that on snowy roads.

Eventually, all of those warning lights were on full time and could not be reset. It was like driving a FWD car from 1985 with no electronic aids at all - doable, but not fun on the 401 in the snow.

Took it back to the dealer Friday morning saying I didn't want it back until it was fixed. They called me at the end of the day to tell me they hadn't been able to track down the source of the problem yet.

I'm disappointed. Love the car but I feel like it let me down. Only a year in on a $40-k car and major systems failure. Hopefully they can figure it out and effect a 100% fix.