Extended warranty

WHY is it that when you try to help people out, you automatically get accused of doing something wrong or with an ulterior motive????????????????

(1) NO, I don't work for this dealership of any other dealership.

(2) NO, I'm not a salesman.

(3) NO, I'm not getting any "kickback".

Good lord people, you always comment and think with the worst comments.

Let me preface....... I was a long time F150 owner and Ranger owner. When I went looking for a FORD ESP, I looked at every online dealer there was.

Zeigler Ford at the time has the best price and the best reviews.. There were a few promo's that were publicly available to anyone.

I bought ESP's on both my Ranger and F150. Reading in the forums, there were a lot of people interested in them, so since Zeigler at the time already had the best prices (FORD) I approached the Finance Manager at the dealer (NOTE, I live in TN, not MI), and asked him if he might create a "group buy" for F150 members that were interested in one. that is where the "GREGH" came in. At the time, It ANY forum member an additional $225 off the listed prices. I got this for the forum strictly out of trying to helping hard working people like myself save a few dollars if they were interested in an extended warranty. I needed to transfer my warranty over when I traded F150's, and Bob Cline did that at the dealership, and he didn't charge me the "admin fee". (So if you consider that a "kickback", then so be it).

Furthermore, I didn't create this thread, I just added to it. I can understand that If I had created the thread and start blurting out promo codes, then it might have been different.

I have a Dodge now, The same ZEIGLER people have a Dodge/Chrysler dealership as well, I BOUGHT a Dodge Warranty, and I simply asked Bob at Zeigler if he might do something similar in the Dodge forum. He did, I passed it along to anyone else who wanted.

Here's my thoughts. if you're interested in a Dodge Extended Warranty, buy it anywhere you want. If you want to save a few dollars shop around. If you want to use the "GREG" promo for $75, use it, it you don't want to, then move along. If you don't have anything positive to comment in the thread, then don't read it, don't reply to it, and move on.

I had over 3,000 posts in about 4 years over in the F150 forum. I'm highly insulted that I come over here, try to offer input into the threads, and instantly accused of being the "underhanded" guy trying to make a buck. If you don't like my posts, block me. Not exactly the warm fuzzy feeling I was expecting being a new forum member and new to Dodge.............

I don't think anyone accused you of being underhanded... And even if you were getting a "kickback", who cares? I'd rather save a buck and have someone earn a living doing the work to save me the money anyway, and I'm sure others feel the same way. No need to let the fuzzies go! Welcome and thank you for bringing this wonderful deal to the forum (even though it's too late for me)!

dang i never ment anything is wrong, and was just correcting your post on the price quote i rec. but you do seem to be reacting quite strongly to a simple observation. but hey if you feel better now so much the better. also my one point of my orginal post was since i only kept my 2011 3 years buying a lifetime warranty might not be a great deal for me. as i said before sorry i ruffled any feathers and have a great day

sorry for the long winded post guys. I was just trying to share some useful information and save some folks some money if you were eyeing a warranty.

If it saves some a couple of bucks, then its worth it.

Thanks, and I look forward to participating further in the forums. DJ hit 214 miles today!

• 1 month later...

well i think i am about to pull the trigger on buying the lifetime max warranty and so far the best deal is from Zeigler dodge dealership up in michigain. he wants $2240. using the (gregh) discount but after talking to him he said he could drop it an other $25 by useing (save100 )code so about $2215. with the $100. deductabile per occurance. also the lifetime max coverage is not transferable to the next buyer but it can be cancelled at any time up to 7yr or100k which after that there is no refund.i am thinking since i plan on keeping this one alot longer than my last one and since i am retired i dont need to be trading cars every 3yrs like i used to. and since cars are getting so much more expensive to fix, this does sound like a great deal. what do you all think and or any better deals on OME dodge warranties out there??? still hoping to get a better deal.....oh and thanks to gregsJourney for the link to the Zeigler website as it sometimes is hard to pull up on google.......P.S. when i was talking to bob about the plan he said no taxes on it and said dont forget to use your best reward credit card when paying for it.. so that would be about $25. more off when using my rewards card... lol looking for every trick to save some $$$$$$$

Edited by 2late4u

• 4 months later...

well i think i am about to pull the trigger on buying the lifetime max warranty and so far the best deal is from Zeigler dodge dealership up in michigain. he wants $2240. using the (gregh) discount but after talking to him he said he could drop it an other $25 by useing (save100 )code so about $2215. with the $100. deductabile per occurance. also the lifetime max coverage is not transferable to the next buyer but it can be cancelled at any time up to 7yr or100k which after that there is no refund.i am thinking since i plan on keeping this one alot longer than my last one and since i am retired i dont need to be trading cars every 3yrs like i used to. and since cars are getting so much more expensive to fix, this does sound like a great deal. what do you all think and or any better deals on OME dodge warranties out there??? still hoping to get a better deal.....oh and thanks to gregsJourney for the link to the Zeigler website as it sometimes is hard to pull up on google.......P.S. when i was talking to bob about the plan he said no taxes on it and said dont forget to use your best reward credit card when paying for it.. so that would be about $25. more off when using my rewards card... lol looking for every trick to save some $$$$$$$

well just bought the lifetime max warranty with unlimited miles with a 100. ded. was about to go over the 12k miles and going on a trip tomorrow that would have put me over the 12k thus it would raise the price $200. so bit the bullet and paid the $2215. plan on keeping this journey a long time. love the looks and the silver color was real easy over the internet already rec a copy of the purchase and they said mopar will send the reg paperwork in about 3 weeks. you save a lot buying it here than at the dealership hope i don't ever need it but figured if i keep it as long as my truck( 14. years) figures out about to $157 yr.

well i don't think the wife is real happy letting go with the $$$ but plan on keeping this one a long time and we do a lot of traveling and have kept my last two trucks 12 yrs and 14yrs. and on the last one the the warranty would have saved me some money and cars aren't getting any cheaper to fix and thies 6 speed trans and engines are getting so hi tech i can see dollars going out as they get older. well wait and see.....I think i got the best price I could have got on dodge warranty...

• 3 weeks later...

Great thread. There's a warranty through the Exchange New Car Sales that is 7 year 75,000. I believe it is costing me around $2K. I might want to reconsider one of these lifetime warranties through the website. A $100 deductible is really nothing at the end of the day.

I bought an extended warranty through carmax. 7 years, 100,000 miles. $100 deductible. Free loaner if needed.Have not used it yet. Reviews are mixed, as with anything, people who complain are the ones expecting everything for free.

jkeaton;

I disagree with that last statement . . . when the supposedly reputable company from whom I bought my extended warranty (recommended by the CAA - Canadian equivalent of the AAA) tried to screw me on a major engine repair, they wiggled every way but the proper one, blaming everything from idling too long, to abusing the engine to using 'stop leak' and so on . . . when challenged to prove any of their variety of claims they declined, so I hired a lab and a professional to write reports and filed in court . . . . . I took them to small claims court for the $5,000 it cost me to fix the engine in my vehicle at the time plus the more that $1500 I paid for expertise and the judge, in his ruling told the representative of the company that they were 'slime' right to his face in the court room . . . strangely he took the decision into reserve and spent a month writing a long decision - but they were paying me 5% interest (the court awarded rate), so it wasn't a problem.

I will never entertain a aftermarket vehicle warranty again.

I have dealt with many aftermarket service contract companies over the years, Some are golden and some are absolutely horrible. In my earlier days in the business, the dealership I worked for had to appear in court several times because the service contract company bailed on its comittment to the customer, finding absurd loopholes and exploiting them in an efffort to deny a claim. Others have simply asked a few pertinent questions, and issued authorization numbers for repairs with little fanfare. The trouble is, how does the average consumer know what they are buying? It can really be a game of roulette and no one really wants that.

The Chrysler Service Contract is a no-fuss affair that is fully backed by the company that builds the car. Repeat business is the key to success in this industry, and satisfying the customer and standing behind the product is the easiest and most cost-effective way to earn that repeat business. If your repair is listed as covered by the contract, it gets covered with no questions asked and all you pay is the deductible. If a customer has a positive experience with a service contract (and the dealer administering the claim and the repair), chances are that they will buy another one on their next purchase - and another Chrysler product. Aftermarket warranty companies have far less incentive to satisfy their customers. Their objective is to keep as much of your investment as possible.

Even though I work for a dealer, I still have to pay for repairs. I bought a Lifetime Maximum Care Service Contract for my Journey because I've seen how expensive certain repairs can be. Plus, should anything ever happen to me, my wife has peace of mind knowing that no repair bill on the car will ever cost her more than $100.00.

I think you're right bramfrank. Just to be clear, the warranties through the chryslerwarrantys.com site are official? I'm assuming so but just want to make sure. I haven't bought anything yet. I'm only putting money into an account for a down payment.

Edited by af3ll

They say it's OEM Chrysler - the site has been there for years. I suggest it is probably legit. Maybe you should phone them.

Watch the mileage on your unit - I seem to recall that there are surcharges to buy these plans if you have more than some number of miles or the vehicle is older than some number of months.

I have yet to lose money on an extended warranty. I have either recouped the cost when selling the vehicle with an unexpired warranty or, if I've held on to the vehicle long enough, always needed something expensive (usually a new transmission - in one case a new engine block) and that more than offset the cost of the repair.

My 2006 Jeep Commander with QD II developed a strange noise coming from the front. They replaced the gears in the front differential. I paid my $100 deductible, and was leaving my Dealer, and the noise was still there. Installed a new Transfer case. Noise still there. Removed transmission, tore it all down, and found nothing wrong. Inspected rear differential. Nothing wrong. Reinstalled transmission. Noise still there. Removed front drive shaft. Noise gone. Opened up the front differential. New gears, only 2 weeks old, wearing out with chipped teeth. Ordered completely new front differential. It seems that the original housing was cast wrong, so the bearings could not be properly set in place. Noise gone. Evening Service Manager Fired for not catching this on my first visit. So, extended warranties can be worth the money. I was on vacation out on Long Island, NY when the noise developed, and I passed my 36,000 mile limit on my way home. I did have it checked by a dealer in NY, but they could find nothing wrong. They didn't charge me, but I had proof that the noise started before 36,000 miles.

• 8 months later...

Looking for opinions from DJ owners (Canadian in particular) if its worth buying an extended warranty. My dealer is quoteing $1980 for an extra 2 years, $2895 for an extra 3 years and $3895 for an extra 4 years. I have had my 2014 Journey RT since Sept/14 with 21,300 KM after a year. This past spring I needed a new front wheel bearing and the radio replaced in Aug/14 (navigation unit pooped out). Of course both these repairs were covered by the standard 3 yr warranty.

What are your experiences with the Chrysler extended warranty, what repairs have you had done?

I have heard that the navigation unit is an issue and is known to fail. Mine was replaced with a refurbished unit. I imagine it would have been several hundred if I would have had to pay for it.

Your dealer is overcharging you. But we do get ripped off in Canada even at the 'good' price.

Start by finding out which plan numbers he's quoting you because 2 extra years, based on the bumper-to-bumper? Pure rip-off because the powertrain is already covered for 5 years. And watch the mileage and deductible. 4 extra years implies bumper to bumper coverage for 7 years which is as long as they'll go.

Dealer cost for the 7/115 zero deductible plan 419 is less than $1650 - I put together a buyer's group in 2012 and paid $1680 for the one on my '11 and the dealer booked it as $1650 when I managed to get him to toss it in as a closer for my '14.

Here are links to the zero and $100 deductible brochures:

http://www.chryslercanada.ca/owners/en/pdf/max.pdf

http://www.chryslercanada.ca/owners/en/pdf/700series.pdf

Edited by bramfrank

Thanks for the information. I was quoted on the zero deductible plans, 5yrs/100,000 km, 6yrs/120,000 km and 7 yrs/160,000 km. All are bumper to bumper warranties, no oil changes or tire rotations etc.

Are these warranties priced as per Chrysler or are they priced according to the dealers whims? What is a fair offer for the 7/160,000 plan if I try and negotiate?

Fair question . . . . there is a suggested MSRP, but the markups are huge, so effectively the answer is that pricing is at the dealer's whim.

Here is a chart of the MSRPs and the projected dealer costs that I found in the file from my negotiations for the group buy - I guess that the estimated costs in the chart are every-so-slightly high, based on my buying experience last December. But clearly prices are darned close to what they are today. Considering that plans like these have no up front costs for the dealer, if you can't get AT LEAST 25% off you may want to take a course in effective negotiating. If your dealer won't discount, go to another dealer and have a chat with their F&I person.

As you can probably tell, that 5/100 plan reflects the fact that the powertrain is already covered by the original vehicle warranty.

Plan Term MSRP Est Dealer Cost

415 5/100 $1,450 $725

416 6/120 $2,710 $1,440

419 7/115 $3,130 $1,660

410 7/160 $3,785 $2,010

Interesting enough, when I put the group buy together the mods on this forum refused to allow me to even mention it here for some reason.

Edited by bramfrank

If, in the end you can't make a deal, I can give you the name and number of the person we made the group deal with. Interesting enough the last I heard of him he ended up working at the dealership I bought my current Journey from. There's no guarantee that he'll discount as heavily as he did when we had the group (after all, you are only buying a single plan), but if all else fails . . . like chicken soup . . . . it can't hurt.