BRAKES SECOND TIME 2009 WITH NLY 24,000 MILES

grueter

I HAVE A 2009 DODGE JURNEY FRONT WHEEL DRIVE THAT JUST TURNED 24,000 MILES MY FRONT ROTORS ARE STARTING TO SHAKE AGAIN ,IS THERE ANY HOPE THAT CHRYSLER COULD HELP ME WITH THIS? ROTORS AND PADS WERE REPLACED ONCE ALREADY. AS YOU CAN TELL MY WIFE DOSEN'T DRIVE IT MUCH.SHOULD I TRY TO CALL THE DEALER OR NOT,DOES ANYONE KNOW IT CHRYSLER HAS A FIX FOR THIS? THANKS FOR ANY AND ALL HELP.

dought chrysler will do anything for a 2009 with brake problems as they can be damaged thur different conditions beyond their control. i would suggest changing out your pads for wagner thermo-quite and also use wagner rotors as they come with a lifetime warrenty against warping.i buy mine thur advance auto alot cheaper than going to the dealer and watch the u tube videios on changing the pads and rotors very easy and just a few tools needed. parts should be less than 58 for the pads and about 50 for each rotor. i also use retailmenot.com for coupon codes thur advance auto ,would knock off about 60 off the total cost. good luck.. also hard braking and hitting chuck holes filled with water will damage your rotors faster than you think...... P.S. only saying that about hard braking is because my daughter drives a dodge minn-van for her rural carrier job for the post office and they have to fix thier own cars and she goes thur a set of pads about every 5-7 thousand miles and i do her brakes for her so the hard braking really wears them down fast.....so to say the least i do alot of brake jobs each year and she is only part time as of now,she has been doing this for 4 yrs now and hopes to make full time in about 2-3 yrs from now..............

Edited by 2late4u

dought chrysler will do anything for a 2009 with brake problems as they can be damaged thur different conditions beyond their control. i would suggest changing out your pads for wagner thermo-quite and also use wagner rotors as they come with a lifetime warrenty against warping.i buy mine thur advance auto alot cheaper than going to the dealer and watch the u tube videios on changing the pads and rotors very easy and just a few tools needed. parts should be less than 58 for the pads and about 50 for each rotor. i also use retailmenot.com for coupon codes thur advance auto ,would knock off about 60 off the total cost. good luck.. also hard braking and hitting chuck holes filled with water will damage your rotors faster than you think...... P.S. only saying that about hard braking is because my daughter drives a dodge minn-van for her rural carrier job for the post office and they have to fix thier own cars and she goes thur a set of pads about every 5-7 thousand miles and i do her brakes for her so the hard braking really wears them down fast.....so to say the least i do alot of brake jobs each year and she is only part time as of now,she has been doing this for 4 yrs now and hopes to make full time in about 2-3 yrs from now..............

Ditto, I have found that doing brakes myself is a better solution than going to a dealer.

I bought a 2013 T&C earlier this year for my wife (glad to say she doesn't drive my Journey anymore) and it had warped rotors with only 15 miles on it. Come to find out, the dealer had our van in a lot with dirt and gravel for nearly 8 months and it didn't get moved for that whole time other than just shifting cars around. So after a few days my wife started to complain of shaking and squeaking when she stopped. Rather than go back to the dealer, I did a complete front to back brake job on a new van with less than a 100 miles on it. You wouldn't believe how much rust was on the back side of the rotors and in every crack or crevice in the brakes. I took all 4 rotors to Oreilly's to be turned, cleaned up the pads that were from the factory and reassembled everything in about 4 hours. Now she has over 5000 miles and still no squeaking and shaking. The pads still look brand new.

Chrysler knows about the brake problems on the earlier Journeys but if it was my car I would search out a bigger set of brakes and rotors just for piece of mind and so I didn't have to spend time arguing with a dealer and Chrysler. The new Journeys have bigger brakes and if you really want to search for a permanent solution then I would definitely upgrade to the bigger brakes.

Best of luck to ya :)

• 3 weeks later...

The brakes are bad on the Journeys period and wear out faster than normal it seems. I know I had to replace mine at 10,000-15,000 miles when I first got it in 2009. I went with brakes other than from a dealership because they are going to put on the ones for the Journey and it's the same problem again. Go to a good brake shop near you. Since I did that in 2009, I have had the normal wearing instead of having to have them replaced more often with the original Journey brakes. The brakes were a big problem on the Journey's and the NHTSA has received a ton of emails and reports about them since the Journey's first came out.

Ditto above. Keep getting the dealer to change your brake parts will only mean having to do it again in short order. Do yourself a favor and purchase some quality aftermarket rotors and pads and change them yourself. Not that difficult to do. We had the dealer replace all 4 rotors and pads TWICE within 20,000 miles. After they warped again, I replaced them myself and never had another brake problem.

Edited by jkeaton