Fuel Economy

Journeyman425

That's great. I've been monitoring my 2011 for a few years now. Drive in the southwest. Lots of mountains and hills. I am averaging in the high 24's overall recently. That's approx 70/30 highway/town. I drive responsibly with some bursts of WOT; I like to be sure someone didn't steal my Pentastar. B) On the highway I get 27 - 28 mpg. Usually with a bike or surfboard on the roof.

Peace.

I use to get 26 or so average. But lately I've been getting only 23mpg. Same driving style, 80% highway, lots of mountains and strong head winds. I've tried different gas stations but its the same deal. I'm wondering if gas in southern California up'd the amount of ethanol? But there's no way to find out because the pumps don't say how much ethanol is in the gas.

I'm thinking my mileage went down ever since the dealer replaced the cylinder head for the TSB problem with cylinder #2...

On our family trip to Florida i was able to average 8L/100km (approx. 35MPG). That was carrying a family of four, full cargo of luggage and doing the speed limits with cruise control. I know I can get even better mileage as a lot of luggage brought was unnecessary so for next year I will be travelling lighter. I was quite happy with the fuel consumption.

I was quite surprised by that number also. I re-set the values when I filled the tank so it would record accurately for that specific trip. I figured 25-26 at best. We have been averaging 21.5 - 23.5 MPG each tank with a combination of around town and highway trips which I think is very respectable for a vehicle of this size and power. The engine really does not work hard at all on the highway - the tachometer reads around 1600 RPM at 70 MPH.

I really wished we had our journey for our recent trip to Nova Scotia.. we had a 4 Cyl Terrain while the DJ was in the shop, and man, am I ever glad I went for the V6 on the DJ. a 4Cyl engine is just not powerful enough for the type of vehicle it is unless you're driving on nothing but flat roads all the time... The drive to NS had major Hills galore and when you hit the gas on the Terrain, it made a lot of noise, fuel consumption jumped up to 19-21L/100km, but you just barely maintained your speed. Overall average for the trip was 9.4L/100Km with the hilly area's getting 10.2L/100Km and my best recorded was 6.9L/Km (main flat area between Ottawa and Montreal), all was in "eco" mode... The trip we made to Niagra last year with the Journey did 8.8 there and 9.3 back, but that was also including heavy TO traffic we were stuck in for a couple hours... The best I've done is to a town just north of TO; all back roads, but pretty hilly and that was 8.2. Now that the transmission's been flashed, I'm looking forward to seeing if there might be any gains in day to day traffic as that's where we usually suffer.

• 3 weeks later...

Each time I fill the fuel tank, I reset the average mpg to zero and start fresh for that tankful. I should manually calculate it to check its accuracy but I have not. I checked it manually a few times on my 300M and each time the math was within .1 of the display.

Personally my EVIC has never matched or even come close to my actual mileage, if you are interested my car has been on my fuelly for 3 years and here are the results: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/windancer/journey

Terry

146733255.jpg

2013 3.6 VVT engine. We live in the boonies and the foothills of the Laurel Highlands here in South Central PA. Lots of hills/small mountains and mostly twisting, curving roads (we have one area that is so unique for us that it is called "Mile Level"; stretch of road arrow straight and level, a rarity here). Average speeds for our forays is in the 40-45 mph range, max is 55 by limit, but, due to the roads, very few spurts to 55 mph.

Bought last year (12/2012) and my EVIC matches our hand calculations pretty well. EVIC to-date average is 23.8 mpg and hand calculations is 23.65 mpg. Compared to what I was getting on the 2008 Jeep Commander Hemi that I traded in on the DJ, this is heaven...I had to live with the Hemi's mileage as I used the Jeep to tow our RV. When we bought our 5th wheel RV and the truck (diesel) to tow it with, the Jeep was just a gas hog and had to go. Old Neon to my son, Jeep to the dealer on the JD and life is good.

Edit for L/100km conversion: 9.88L/100km for my northern cousins...

Edited by webslave

I have a V6 AWD 2012 R/T. What you guys are thought on 17.2L/100kms pure city driving.. Is it reasonable or still kind a high??

I have a 2013 SXT with the 3.6L, and am getting exactly the same as you. I do only city driving. When I took a trip in the summer, we were getting about 9L/100kms. Kind of disappointed with the city performance, though.

I have a V6 AWD 2012 R/T. What you guys are thought on 17.2L/100kms pure city driving.. Is it reasonable or still kind a high??

Chris

I still think you are much too high, I have got a best of 9.3 going up to your fair city, but I usually average middle 10's to low 11's on the highway and middle 15's around town but in the winter it has gone as high as 21. Once again you can look at the past 3 years of driving at: http://www.fuelly.com/driver/windancer/journey This to me is real world stuff because it includes warm up's in winter on our very cold days.

Terry

You don't need to reset the mpg indicator on the DJ. The displayed fuel efficiency covers only up to the last ??? miles (can't quite pin it down) - if it was open ended, after a while it would never change at all.

Interesting. Never thought about that. Makes perfect sense. I usually reset occasionally anyway, though.

Peace.

Yes and I also took Terry's advice and signed up for Fuelly as well. The only time I noticed a drop in mileage is when I get spring fever and let the horses out Lol.

This is what I do for the My Fuelly site at each tank full and it seems to work for me. As you can see I do it for both my cars.

I write the mileage on the bill so that I can enter it once I am home (they offer an app for this so that I can do it immediatelly, but at home is fine), reset my trip odometers, reset the EVIC for each tank, basically I don't use it, but it does inform me of higher/lower gas mileage that I may be getting. I let the My Fuelly figure out and graph my results, I figure they are more accurate than me. This is just what I do..... your results may vary.

Terry

Edited by Windancer

• 1 month later...

I have never gotten my 11 R/T 3.6L under 20L/100kms. Only a few times i reset it while on the highway. Right now it's at 22.5L/100kms full city driving. I just realised thought that the last few oil changes I have been putting 4.5 qts of oil instead of 5.5. Could that cause the fuel economy to drop?