Jump to content





Recommended Posts

2013 Journey RT. I get a shudder once in a while when reversing and in the last couple days the same shudder when I almost come to a complete stop and then let off the brake (like at a red light that turns green right before I stop completely). It almost feels like the car is about to stall. I have a feeling, though, that's it may be a transmission issue.

Anyone else experienced this before?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect it is the transmission becoming momentarily confused about where to shift. The ECM knows you have input on the accelerator but the vehicle is still slowing down. My Dakota does this quite often. I have not noticed this with my DJ, but it is mostly a travel vehicle that sees only about 20% town driving. I know there is transmission RRT. Enquire at your next service or maintenance visit. If you don't hear loud noises, experience crappy shifting, or it is not getting worse, I suspect it is a software issue. Only a service tech can tell you for sure though. Good luck.

Peace.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you had the transmission TSB done? My vehicle used to shutter (almos buck back and forth). It would happen when sitting at a stop light, when I let off the brake it would do the bucking/shuddering until I hit the gas.

But, I just had the TSB done last night and it's fixed! Plus the gear shifts are sooo much smoother now. Well worth your time to get it done! It's TSB 18-008-13.

Edited by onecrazyfoo4u

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have never had it happen from a dead stop although my fathers '09 DJ has this issue and they keep telling him theres nothing wrong with it.

I will inquire with my dealer about the TSB. Today a rough idle has started too and my drivers window is squeaking when rolling down. Hopefully this isn't the beginning of finding out I have a lemon! A lot of problems in the last while. All started with a loud squeal on startup when its cold out in the winter, seems to be one small thing after another since then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you had the transmission TSB done? My vehicle used to shutter (almos buck back and forth). It would happen when sitting at a stop light, when I let off the brake it would do the bucking/shuddering until I hit the gas.

But, I just had the TSB done last night and it's fixed! Plus the gear shifts are sooo much smoother now. Well worth your time to get it done! It's TSB 18-008-13.

Here is a copy of the TSB you mentioned.

NUMBER: 18-008-13

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: February 21, 2013

SUBJECT:

Flash: MIL Illumination P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit High And

Transmission Shift Improvements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control

Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:

2012 - 2013 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicle equipped with a 3.6L or 2.4L engine (sales

code ERB or ED3) and a 6 speed automatic transmission (sales code DG2)

built before October 23, 2012 (MDH 1023XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience any of the following:

· Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the

Technician may find that P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit High

NUMBER: 18-008-13

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: February 21, 2013

has been set active or stored 3.6L engine.

NOTE: MIL Illumination for P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit

High affects only 2012 model year vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine

(sales code ERB).

· 1 - 2 upshift clunk or bump 2.4L & 3.6L engines

· 3 - 4 harsh upshift at closed throttle after a WOT stab in 1st or 2nd gear. 2.4L & 3.6L

engines

· 4 - 5 upshift clunk or bump 2.4L & 3.6L engines

· 5 - 6 upshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· 6 - 5 downshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· 6 - 4 downshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· RPM Fluctuating or Jerking feeling while operating in cruise control. Condition is

more noticeable when the vehicle is going up and down grades.2.4L & 3.6L

engines

· 1 - 2 harsh upshift going down a grade 2.4L engine

· 3 - 2 downshift clunk or bump 2.4L engine

· 4 - 3 downshift clunk or bump 2.4L engine

· Improves the consistency of how shifts are controlled during upshifts “torque

management”.

· Delayed downshifts 3.6L engine

Updating the software will correct the conditions listed above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine is a 2011 Crew and is doing the same thing when I come to a complete stop or red light and I let off the brakes without giving gas the car will shudder/bounce weird feeling ...... not sure this apply to me but I will have it check. As soon as I enter the "first gear it will do it. If I switch to manual and set to second gear wont have this issue. Still on warranty so ..... got a lot fixed on that Journey on warranty .... poor them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had the same intermittent issue when coming to a stop and reversing.  I have an appointment at my local dealership and the service manager mentioned about a possible software update for the transmission computer.  This could be the same TSB 18-008-13 I hope.  I will post the results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

M8ne 2014 3.6 AWD and is doing the same and I have done the update online and the car does not show any reqiured update anymore and have the car ok for two days then same shudder appear again and became worse now. Anybody had an update for this problem please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/3/2013 at 11:45 AM, DodgeCares said:

Here is a copy of the TSB you mentioned.

NUMBER: 18-008-13

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: February 21, 2013

SUBJECT:

Flash: MIL Illumination P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit High And

Transmission Shift Improvements

OVERVIEW:

This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control

Module (PCM) with new software.

MODELS:

2012 - 2013 (JC) Journey

NOTE: This bulletin applies to vehicle equipped with a 3.6L or 2.4L engine (sales

code ERB or ED3) and a 6 speed automatic transmission (sales code DG2)

built before October 23, 2012 (MDH 1023XX).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:

The customer may experience any of the following:

· Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) illumination. Upon further investigation the

Technician may find that P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit High

NUMBER: 18-008-13

GROUP: Vehicle Performance

DATE: February 21, 2013

has been set active or stored 3.6L engine.

NOTE: MIL Illumination for P0108 - Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor Circuit

High affects only 2012 model year vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine

(sales code ERB).

· 1 - 2 upshift clunk or bump 2.4L & 3.6L engines

· 3 - 4 harsh upshift at closed throttle after a WOT stab in 1st or 2nd gear. 2.4L & 3.6L

engines

· 4 - 5 upshift clunk or bump 2.4L & 3.6L engines

· 5 - 6 upshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· 6 - 5 downshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· 6 - 4 downshift clunk or bump 3.6L engine

· RPM Fluctuating or Jerking feeling while operating in cruise control. Condition is

more noticeable when the vehicle is going up and down grades.2.4L & 3.6L

engines

· 1 - 2 harsh upshift going down a grade 2.4L engine

· 3 - 2 downshift clunk or bump 2.4L engine

· 4 - 3 downshift clunk or bump 2.4L engine

· Improves the consistency of how shifts are controlled during upshifts “torque

management”.

· Delayed downshifts 3.6L engine

Updating the software will correct the conditions listed above.

 

What is the estimated costs of having this done? My 2012 Journey V6 is doing this exact shutter after coming to a stop and transferring from brake to accelerate.

Edited by pba1817

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, pba1817 said:

 

What is the estimated costs of having this done? My 2012 Journey V6 is doing this exact shutter after coming to a stop and transferring from brake to accelerate.

 

You will need to contact your servicing dealer for cost estimates. 

Edited by jkeaton

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 01/06/2013 at 12:34 AM, onecrazyfoo4u said:

Have you had the transmission TSB done? My vehicle used to shutter (almos buck back and forth). It would happen when sitting at a stop light, when I let off the brake it would do the bucking/shuddering until I hit the gas.

But, I just had the TSB done last night and it's fixed! Plus the gear shifts are sooo much smoother now. Well worth your time to get it done! It's TSB 18-008-13.

Hi everyone, could someone confirm if this can be done DIY with proper tools or is this a dealer only update? 

Thank you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Sazdog said:

 

Hi everyone, could someone confirm if this can be done DIY with proper tools or is this a dealer only update? 

Thank you. 

 

The TSB involves reprogramming the PCM, so, unless you have access to the proper STAR scan tool, it's a dealer only update. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jkeaton said:

 

The TSB involves reprogramming the PCM, so, unless you have access to the proper STAR scan tool, it's a dealer only update. 

 

Thanks JKeaton. I wonder if you could help with the Issue i have with my DJ 2014 R/T FWD 3.6 Petrol with 94,000 kms and all services done on time and with correct oil etc. 

 

The Issue i have is that when the car gets to around 80kmph it starts to vibrate throughout the car. I can feel it in the seats, in the foot well and i can see the passenger seat and backseat headrests vibrating. Nothing can be felt on the steering wheel.  When you go beyond that speed and up to about 110kmph the vibrating starts to pulsate when cruising. Its like 2-3 seconds vibrate and then nothing and then again and so on and so forth. The only way to reduce it is to manually up shift the auto to the 5th gear. Even though this immediately stops it I can still feel it very very mildly. I feel like it almost happens from 1200rpm to about 1600rpm. 

Further there is also the shuddering/jumping feeling just before i hit the gas when taking off. This is intermittent though, doesn't really happen all the time. 

Could this be a misfire? I did read that these Pentastar engines have Valve body and cylinder head issues etc. I sincerely hope not as the car is out of warranty. 

And i am really hoping that this is the TSB update required on the transmission. 

Looking forward to the reply. 

Cheers Saz 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 01/02/2019 at 11:41 PM, Sazdog said:

 

Thanks JKeaton. I wonder if you could help with the Issue i have with my DJ 2014 R/T FWD 3.6 Petrol with 94,000 kms and all services done on time and with correct oil etc. 

 

The Issue i have is that when the car gets to around 80kmph it starts to vibrate throughout the car. I can feel it in the seats, in the foot well and i can see the passenger seat and backseat headrests vibrating. Nothing can be felt on the steering wheel.  When you go beyond that speed and up to about 110kmph the vibrating starts to pulsate when cruising. Its like 2-3 seconds vibrate and then nothing and then again and so on and so forth. The only way to reduce it is to manually up shift the auto to the 5th gear. Even though this immediately stops it I can still feel it very very mildly. I feel like it almost happens from 1200rpm to about 1600rpm. 

Further there is also the shuddering/jumping feeling just before i hit the gas when taking off. This is intermittent though, doesn't really happen all the time. 

Could this be a misfire? I did read that these Pentastar engines have Valve body and cylinder head issues etc. I sincerely hope not as the car is out of warranty. 

And i am really hoping that this is the TSB update required on the transmission

Looking forward to the reply. 

Cheers Saz 

Just an update on this matter. I now have a code P0306 Cylinder 6 misfire. I am dreading this is that Cylinder head issue that has been a problem for some. Trying to get FCA Australia to honor the warranty given to USA and Canada customers. 

Can anyone give me some advise on how to approach FCA on the matter? I tried to contact a Dodge/Jeep dealer and he outright said "There is no information on such issue or extended warranty". 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 5:45 AM, jkeaton said:

 

You will need to contact your servicing dealer for cost estimates. 

So took it into to one of my local dealers, quoted this TSB and asked them to check the diagnostics. They kept it for 2 days, called me and said "we know it is misfiring, but until we get a check engine light/code thrown at us, we aren't going to throw parts at it..."

 

So any advice what my next plan of action should be?

 

p.s. Had a friend replace the spark plugs, but not ignition coils. Could it be coil issue?

Edited by pba1817

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes it could, when changing the plugs take the coil from one that is okay and replace it with the suspected bad on. of course on the 3.6 this is a lot of work

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×