Brake Wear?

UPDATE!

Pads & discs changed on 26/09, 19800ks & under warranty, also did software update RRT09/100, under a recall!

Must have soft pads & discs for both to wear as soon as they have, did not see pads, but discs were worn in around 4-5mm from original surface looking at the lip on discs. So I'll be keeping a close eye on these to see how they wear! Gave them a good bedding in on way home, hopefully they have another 20k warranty on new parts ( they should have!! ).

Just took our 1 year old Dodge with 13,000kms in for annual service and they told me the front pads and rotors needed replacing at a cost of AUD 850. Told me this is normal and they only last about 12,000kms. This doesn't sound right. How did you get yours replaced under warranty ?

Frankly this car has been a pain - broke down in middle of nowhere two weeks ago when radiator cap seal failed and it over heated - had to be towed home. Build quality is very poor. Great practicality inside but not great engineering.

What a huge variation on brake life. Some covered by warranty at higher Kms then others in the same country on lower kms.

There has to be a solution here.....the fact some are covered while others arent shows they are not treating everyone the same. And in my opinion, under consumer law in all the countries we have represented here, they have to treat all equal unless they can show a valid reason why not to do so.

AUD850 plus the service costs adds up to a huge cost per km and that puts it well above anything else in its class.

Brakes usually out in 12k? .....pls explain!

Just took our 1 year old Dodge with 13,000kms in for annual service and they told me the front pads and rotors needed replacing at a cost of AUD 850. Told me this is normal and they only last about 12,000kms. This doesn't sound right. How did you get yours replaced under warranty ?

Frankly this car has been a pain - broke down in middle of nowhere two weeks ago when radiator cap seal failed and it over heated - had to be towed home. Build quality is very poor. Great practicality inside but not great engineering.

Check pages 6&7 of service & warranty book, clearly says pads & discs covered 20000km along with other things. I had no trouble getting it done no charge!!!! even not from the selling dealer. It may be common to wear so soon, but not normal but is a comon problem. Don't accept anything other than no cost replacement, show them the book to jog their memory. I've gone to Parramatta Chysler/Jeep/Dodge for my service & brake fix, far closer to Castle Hill than Sutherland!!!

Good Luck, hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

We have 19980 km's on our 2010 Journey SXT. I called Chrysler Canada yesterday to verify first what was covered. They said we had full replacement warranty on brake pads and rotors up to 20,000km or 1yr. Dealership replaced both front rotors and brake pads yesterday at no cost. They said one side was definitely alot worse than the other but based it possibly on somebody riding the brake pedal??? How my wife could do that intentionally I do not know...

Anyways, I could definitely feel at high speeds a wobble while braking which clued me into the fact I might have a rotor issues.

• 8 years later...

Yes, this problem was solved by putting the dual piston calipers on from a 2012 or newer model.  You can only do this if you're wheels are large enough to allow the larger rotor and caliper to fit.  My '09 Journey has 19" wheels, so it wasn't a problem.  I think you can get away with the larger hardware if you have 17' wheels, but you should double check, definitely won't work with 16" wheels.  I think there is a thread pinned to the top for this problem, it's kinda long, but in there you'll find everything you need to know.  With the original calipers and rotors I was replacing pads and turning rotors twice a year.  Since I swapped out for the larger size, it's been four years and I'm almost ready to replace the pads.  I got my caliper at a junkyard and bought new rotors, it's an easy do-it-yourself project and doesn't cost very much.  I opted to only do the front ones, my back ones last pretty long.  Hope this helps, Happy Motoring......

3 hours ago, pissedcustomer said:

Has anybody actually solved the issue of the brakes. I bought a 09 used Journey and have been having break problems every month. I CAN'T take this any more!

You only need to post once about your issue. Posting in different sections leads to confusion and clutter.