Brake Wear?

Dang,

Not sure what to make of this. Seems like a pad compound problem and possibly an underspec'd rotor.

I wonder if this problem has been corrected with the 2010's? Anyone having issues with them on the 2010's?

I work at AutoZone as a Parts Service Manager. There are numerous cars having brake issues but I've not heard

or seen anyone with a Chrysler made Minivan complain or have concerns. Journeys are just not around here or

are not popular around here. That is all good for me because I hate to have a car that everyone else has.

I would consider going to Ceramic pads right from the start. I may do this with mine when it comes in. My 2003 Jeep Grand

Cherokee I just updated to new rotors and Ceramics on all four wheels and this Jeep has never stopped as well as this in 107k Miles.

I've read some of the posts here and I wonder is 'some' of this is driver error or road conditions more than a poorly spec'd

part.

Any thoughts on this?

I've read some of the posts here and I wonder is 'some' of this is driver error or road conditions more than a poorly spec'd

part.

About a month ago my wife and I picked up her '10 Journey R/T. With less than a 1000 km of mostly highway mileage, it has considerable brake dust built up on the wheels. I think the pad formulation is either too soft, or the calipers drag on the rotors for there to be so much brake dust in such a little amount of time. I am not really concerned since I plan to replace the pads with ceramic when it is time. My old Sunfire was cheaper to buy new rotors than to turn the old ones, I hope that the Journey will be the same.

21,000 miles on my '09 had the brakes checked and I'm at 50% for front and I can't remember what the back is maybe 50 or 60% I'm thinking thats good? But then again, I know nothing about cars except they get me where I need to go and I look good driving the journey! lol :rolleyes:

21,000 miles on my '09 had the brakes checked and I'm at 50% for front and I can't remember what the back is maybe 50 or 60% I'm thinking thats good? But then again, I know nothing about cars except they get me where I need to go and I look good driving the journey! lol :rolleyes:

21K is great to be at 50% - most Journey owners are at about 20% at 20K which is when they should be replaced. Good Job on that one.

See our major wear comes from the commute from the south east valley to down town phoenix every morning during rush hour traffic. But that's also how we have hit so many miles in such a short time.

• 3 weeks later...

It is probably too early to tell, but does anyone know if the brakes are any better in the 2010 SXT? Of course I am curious as I just got mine (2010 SXT Deep Water Blue).

I am in Canada and got the extended warranty but not the gold plan, are mine still covered for up to 20k?

• 2 weeks later...

I just got an oil change and tire rotation at the dealer. They told me that I have about 3,000 miles before the pads are worn and want me back before then to replace the pads before they damage the rotors. My Journel has 17,800 miles on it and this seems to be a bit early for brake wear, especially considering my last 2 vehicles went over 45K before getting close to needing new pads.

The dealer said that I'm probably one of the 1st local journey owners to have this high mileage, so they don't know if this is premature or not. So, How long are pads lasting for everybody else?

I just drove my 2010 Journey SXT home. It has 74 miles on it. At 50 miles, driving from the dealership, while applying the brakes gently on the expressway, the front end starting shaking and the steering wheel started shaking back and forth. I could not believe it. It wasn't too bad but when my dear wife got home (I bought this for her) she took me out to dinner down the road about 12 miles. While applying the brakes two and three times each, the steering wheel was shaking and you could feel the vibration coming through the floorboard. It was terrible and it keeps getting worse. So I Googled 2010 Dodge Journey Brake Problems and WOW. HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF COMPLAINTS. I only wish I had read these before I purchased the vehicle.

I CALLED THE DEALER AND AM RETURNING THE VEHICLE TOMORROW, TUESDAY June 22, 2010 and getting our 2008 Jeep Commander back. This is the absolute worse vehicle I have ever owned. I have purchased over 20 vehicles in my lifetime and am a retiree from Chrysler. I feel very ashamed that Chrysler Engineering would let this Vendor, who ever they are sell them these junk Rotors and brake pads. The front end of this vehicle is Junk and I believe people should seriously consider not buying this.

The Vendor should be sued.

I don't care who calls , this is exactly what happened.

Ron

(734) 790-1319

Just had the left front caliper seize up on me coming home from Ohio-dealer fix under extended warranty-93000 klms good thing I have drilled & slotted rotors as they survived the extreme heat somehow as did the Raybestos ceramic pads

Awesome news! :)

My journey is one yr old tomorrow, done 22k miles, original pads and disks though I am thinking of replacing soon with UK spec disks and pads.

No brake judder ever, though the usual black stuff alll over hence UK spec next.

I do tow a rib boat and horses as well but am not into severe braking, speed possibly but not braking.

I just drove my 2010 Journey SXT home. It has 74 miles on it. At 50 miles, driving from the dealership, while applying the brakes gently on the expressway, the front end starting shaking and the steering wheel started shaking back and forth. I could not believe it. It wasn't too bad but when my dear wife got home (I bought this for her) she took me out to dinner down the road about 12 miles. While applying the brakes two and three times each, the steering wheel was shaking and you could feel the vibration coming through the floorboard. It was terrible and it keeps getting worse. So I Googled 2010 Dodge Journey Brake Problems and WOW. HUNDREDS AND HUNDREDS OF COMPLAINTS. I only wish I had read these before I purchased the vehicle.

I CALLED THE DEALER AND AM RETURNING THE VEHICLE TOMORROW, TUESDAY June 22, 2010 and getting our 2008 Jeep Commander back. This is the absolute worse vehicle I have ever owned. I have purchased over 20 vehicles in my lifetime and am a retiree from Chrysler. I feel very ashamed that Chrysler Engineering would let this Vendor, who ever they are sell them these junk Rotors and brake pads. The front end of this vehicle is Junk and I believe people should seriously consider not buying this.

The Vendor should be sued.

I don't care who calls , this is exactly what happened.

Ron

(734) 790-1319

Sorry to hear about your problems. I've had the same issue although it wasn't as bad as I could only feel the vibration in the brake pedal. However, upon taking the front tires off, I noticed that the lug nuts were not torqued properly. Some would come off without much effort but there was one nut that was SO FRIGGIN TIGHT that I pulled a back muscle using the OEM tire wrench from the Journey. I was so sweaty and pissed and in pain that I was glad my kids weren't there. But eventually, after much swearing I used a long 1 meter pipe and attached it to the wrench for leverage and slowly loosened the nut (praying nothing would snap). Dammit! Why can't people do things right for a change? Seems like people don't care about anything except their next pay cheque. Sorry for the rant.

Anyway, after inspecting the brakes and putting the tire back on and properly torquing the lug nuts to 75 foot lbs. I can say that the vibration has gone down... but not gone. I guess the damage is already done.

So the point of all this is that if you ever take your car to a shop (even a tire shop that says they properly torqued your lug nuts), take it home immediately and re-torque it just to make sure. Having the lug nuts tightened inconsistently can contribute to rotor warpage.

The same goes with new tires. They say they properly filled them to 32psi... I go home and used my own tire pressure guage... one side over inflated, the other side under inflated... WTF?

I do wonder how much of these problems are due to improper torque. I bought a torque wrench

many years ago because all of my vehicles had aluminum wheels. As a trained Aircraft Mechanic

I know that tolerances need to be held and torque specs are there for a reason. Too many Mechanics

in the automotive world try and beat the job to death by taking short cuts and one of them is using

and air wrench to tighten things down. Too many variables come into play to make the torque on these

lugs to be WAY off the mark. Only a good torque wrench and proper technique will get you to the

proper torque.

• 2 weeks later...

It is probably too early to tell, but does anyone know if the brakes are any better in the 2010 SXT? Of course I am curious as I just got mine (2010 SXT Deep Water Blue).

I am in Canada and got the extended warranty but not the gold plan, are mine still covered for up to 20k?

Have a 2010 FWD SXT with 950 miles and the rear rotors are scored and discolored, almost blue. One is wors than the other.The front are smooth as can be, which is exactly the opposite of what I would expect from a 4 wheel disc car. No panic stops or hard braking. Although there is no vibration or grinding or any other problem, I'm taking it back to the dealer and get their view on this issue. Do the ceramic pads eat up the rotors sooner? I have always wondered about that.

• 1 month later...

I have an SXT with the 2.7 V6, just a touch over 10,000km on the clock, brakes are embarrassingly loud as the squeak when they're warm, I also noticed today, the lip created around the edge of the front disc is huge, about the same as my Commodore (think G8 Pontiac) with 65,000km, I doubt the Journeys brakes will last 20,000km, pretty poor considering there's no way any aftermarket store will stock any parts for them due to rarity, plenty of Nitros though. (I've seen 3 journeys in 3 months, and I drive for a living).

G'day, have same SXT, brakes squeaking at carpark speeds from around 9-10000km, 12000k service said they "cleaned" brakes, still squeaking though. Also said 40% front pads left + 50% rear, not supprising seeing amount of dust on wheels.Now have 17000km front discs have large lip on them too, + have grinding noise only when cold. Only getting 15-16lt/100km consumption, (not happy with that!!). Built sept/09, delivered sydney dec/09

• 2 weeks later...

I got my "09 Journey SXT with performance wheel and suspension package in June '08. Overall I'm very pleased with the car, which is saying something as this is the first American car I have owned/leased. (Previously Hondas and Subarus). I have 25,000 miles on it and just inspected the front brakes due to what I suspected was a wear-indicator on the driver's side front pad. Those pads are shot and need replacing, however the passenger side front pads still have plenty of life on them. I've read LOTS of complaints about the Journey brakes, and although mine seem to have PLENTY of braking power, I am a bit concerned about the uneven wear (comparing driver to pax sides).

Does anyone have information on the diagnostics of Journey's continual brake issues? Are the caliper pistons bad, scoring, sticking? Are the slider pins sticking?

Does anyone have information on the diagnostics of Journey's continual brake issues? Are the caliper pistons bad, scoring, sticking? Are the slider pins sticking?

Follow Up:

I brought my Journey to the dealer and stated that I was not going to pay anything, but due to number of brakes issues I wanted them to inspect the brakes. (I had already inspected the front brakes and found the driver's side pads worn to the wear indicator, and the pax side had about 3/16" left.) When I picked the car up I was ready for a confrontation about paying for the inspection. To my pleasant surprise, they did not try to charge me and also gave me some helpful information... (besides the fact that the calipers and slide pins were working smoothly)...

Apparently the electronic traction control system engages even when your foot is not on the brakes - you can supposedly feel this as a "lift" in the gas pedal while driving. Through this action one side can wear more then the other.

I was also told the the common brake issues with Journeys have been traced to some bad batches of brake rotors that were not tempered properly, so they pretty much melted like butter on a hot griddle. When customers had them replaced, many of them got replaced with the same bad batch of rotors, so some customers got 2 or 3 sets of bad rotors in a row.

Truth? Who knows, but my car has gone 25,500 miles and this is my first set of replacement pads (will install Monday). I also chose to replace the rotors. Got the NAPA Premiums, part number 48880683 for $46.30 each at my local NAPA. Also bought Wagner ThermoQuiet pads for $57.99 at Advance Auto Parts. right now they're having a rebate offer - $15 per pair, so my net cost is $42.99. New front brakes for $135.59 plus tax. :)

I was about to take mine in to find out if I had a caliper issue causing uneven wear, seems maybe I do not after reading your post. My Journey has about 33K on it and I just installed the same Napa front rotors today along with their best pads. This was my second time to replace the pads (1st time they were done at 21K) and this time the driver side pads were gone and has actually damaged the rotor but when I got to the passenger side the pads are maybe 50% worn. For now on I guess I will try to insepct every 10,000 miles to be safe...what a joke

• 3 weeks later...

Just took my 2010 Journey in for the brakes squeeling and they said my front pads are worn pretty good and I aint got much life in the front rotors as well.

20,500 miles, guess the OE parts suck.......

The Dodge dealership wanted $371 to fix it with OE parts, I wont make that mistake.

Gonna start looking for aftermarket parts this week.

Join the club!! I got my first set at 9000 miles of both brakes and rotars!! Since i have replaced the brakes and rotars five time!!! It has to be a fault of Dodge! My dealer will not help me and refuses to say this is a defect of dodge!! I have been back and forth with this problem since two months after my purchase!!!

quote name='mdewitt71' date='06 September 2010 - 02:25 PM' timestamp='1283801159' post='9402']

Just took my 2010 Journey in for the brakes squeeling and they said my front pads are worn pretty good and I aint got much life in the front rotors as well.

20,500 miles, guess the OE parts suck.......

The Dodge dealership wanted $371 to fix it with OE parts, I wont make that mistake.

Gonna start looking for aftermarket parts this week.

My first set of brakes on my journey were replaced at 9000 miles! The rotars to! I have since had brakes and rotars placed on the car 5 times!! This is a 2010 car! The dealer was less then helpful and I am so frustrated! Being a women these people think I am stupid and will not work with me. I JUST HIRED A LAWYER!!! This car is a piece of crap and I am not spending another dime replaceing the brakes!! FOR A NOTE- I replaced the brakes on JUNE 17. This past weekend- they are once again grinding !! I am at a lose here!! SO SO frustrated!

quote name='JTroy' date='14 August 2010 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1281809732' post='9142']

Follow Up:

I brought my Journey to the dealer and stated that I was not going to pay anything, but due to number of brakes issues I wanted them to inspect the brakes. (I had already inspected the front brakes and found the driver's side pads worn to the wear indicator, and the pax side had about 3/16" left.) When I picked the car up I was ready for a confrontation about paying for the inspection. To my pleasant surprise, they did not try to charge me and also gave me some helpful information... (besides the fact that the calipers and slide pins were working smoothly)...

Apparently the electronic traction control system engages even when your foot is not on the brakes - you can supposedly feel this as a "lift" in the gas pedal while driving. Through this action one side can wear more then the other.

I was also told the the common brake issues with Journeys have been traced to some bad batches of brake rotors that were not tempered properly, so they pretty much melted like butter on a hot griddle. When customers had them replaced, many of them got replaced with the same bad batch of rotors, so some customers got 2 or 3 sets of bad rotors in a row.

Truth? Who knows, but my car has gone 25,500 miles and this is my first set of replacement pads (will install Monday). I also chose to replace the rotors. Got the NAPA Premiums, part number 48880683 for $46.30 each at my local NAPA. Also bought Wagner ThermoQuiet pads for $57.99 at Advance Auto Parts. right now they're having a rebate offer - $15 per pair, so my net cost is $42.99. New front brakes for $135.59 plus tax. :)

mine were bad and both brakes and rotars replaced at 9000 miles...then since then 5 times!!!!!!!!!!! frustrated really frustrated

quote name='wotsthebuzz' date='02 September 2010 - 10:11 AM' timestamp='1283440290' post='9337']

My '10 SXT has just over 6000kms, or 4000 miles and was told the braskes are pooched... I mean seriously, 6000kms?

My first set of brakes on my journey were replaced at 9000 miles! The rotars to! I have since had brakes and rotars placed on the car 5 times!! This is a 2010 car! The dealer was less then helpful and I am so frustrated! Being a women these people think I am stupid and will not work with me. I JUST HIRED A LAWYER!!! This car is a piece of crap and I am not spending another dime replaceing the brakes!! FOR A NOTE- I replaced the brakes on JUNE 17. This past weekend- they are once again grinding !! I am at a lose here!! SO SO frustrated!

quote name='JTroy' date='14 August 2010 - 01:15 PM' timestamp='1281809732' post='9142']

Follow Up:

Good luck with anything from NAPA! I have had two sets of front rotors from them and they both warp bad at 3,000 miles. Next will be Centric rotors with ceramic for me! I have 34,000 mile on my car.

• 4 weeks later...

G'day, have same SXT, brakes squeaking at carpark speeds from around 9-10000km, 12000k service said they "cleaned" brakes, still squeaking though. Also said 40% front pads left + 50% rear, not supprising seeing amount of dust on wheels.Now have 17000km front discs have large lip on them too, + have grinding noise only when cold. Only getting 15-16lt/100km consumption, (not happy with that!!). Built sept/09, delivered sydney dec/09

UPDATE!

Pads & discs changed on 26/09, 19800ks & under warranty, also did software update RRT09/100, under a recall!

Must have soft pads & discs for both to wear as soon as they have, did not see pads, but discs were worn in around 4-5mm from original surface looking at the lip on discs. So I'll be keeping a close eye on these to see how they wear! Gave them a good bedding in on way home, hopefully they have another 20k warranty on new parts ( they should have!! ).