Brake Wear?

I told one dealer there was something wrong with the brakes (they were squeaking)@ 26,000 miles. They said nothing was wrong. I just had to have my pads and rotors changed (front and back) at 29,000 miles. After I drove the Journey home I noticed I was getting 25 miles per gallon. Normally I get 19-20 mpg. I think the Journey brakes were sticking. I have owned sports cars and never had to have the pads or rotors changed until over 120,000 miles and some beyond that. Dodge needs to check into this faulty system.

Got a question for you all, i have the Journey SXT FWD 3.5 L

IS the breaking issue more for a particular motor class or brake system (Drum rears as opposed to calipers all the way around)?

Also, for those familar with the stock brakes

I am at 12000 miles (roughy 19,310 KM) I kinda eyeballed my front brakes and it was alteeast a 1/4 inch if not a bot more....how long do you guys think i ahve till i need new brakes?

Theres no squeal and no grind (obviously) and apparently i have ware pad sensors, as i have the icon on my dash, and thats what my advisor told me.

Anyways, i am heading about 200 miles away from home this weekend, all freeway driving...you guys think the pads will be ok?

• 2 weeks later...
Finally got the time to bring the car into the dealership to get the brakes done. They replaced the front rotors and pads and turned the rear ones. All under warranty and pretty good service overall.

Where or how did you find out the brakes are covered within the first 20,000 miles or km?

I am really ticked off with this break issue, I am just over 24,000 miles on my Journey and my breaks are squeeking again. I decided to look up complaints on brakes for journeys and found you guys. I surely do not feel any better seeing that you guys are going through the same but what has my blood boiling is that I asked about warranty for the brakes and everyone I spoke to said "no way how could anyone cover a normal wear and tear item" so I had my breaks replaced shrugging it off to "I just happen to get a bad set of front brakes", but this is bologne. Now, I see that Dodge just designed the braking system wrong/ mismatched product with performance. I live in Miami the flatest place on earth and when I drive I count miles per gallon, meaning I will calculate my speed and distance to a red light and coast just to avoid the take-off and at the same time save brakes so you can imagine my surprise to squeeling brakes after 10,000 miles since the replacement.

I am printing this up and going to the last dealer left open for 50 miles and I am going off... I hope they replace under warranty. Actually I am calling corporate before I go. Should I try Obama (lol) since he should be at the corporate office handling business.

I'll keep you informed = (

Where or how did you find out the brakes are covered within the first 20,000 miles or km?

I am really ticked off with this break issue, I am just over 24,000 miles on my Journey and my breaks are squeeking again. I decided to look up complaints on brakes for journeys and found you guys. I surely do not feel any better seeing that you guys are going through the same but what has my blood boiling is that I asked about warranty for the brakes and everyone I spoke to said "no way how could anyone cover a normal wear and tear item" so I had my breaks replaced shrugging it off to "I just happen to get a bad set of front brakes", but this is bologne. Now, I see that Dodge just designed the braking system wrong/ mismatched product with performance. I live in Miami the flatest place on earth and when I drive I count miles per gallon, meaning I will calculate my speed and distance to a red light and coast just to avoid the take-off and at the same time save brakes so you can imagine my surprise to squeeling brakes after 10,000 miles since the replacement.

I am printing this up and going to the last dealer left open for 50 miles and I am going off... I hope they replace under warranty. Actually I am calling corporate before I go. Should I try Obama (lol) since he should be at the corporate office handling business.

Check post #42 of this thread. I typed in the information verbatim from one of the documentation books that came with the vehicle. In my case, it is 20,000km not miles because I live in Canada.

Good Luck.

You will be sorely dissapointed. Here in the states the brake warranty is 12000 miles or 12 months, whihc ever comes first.

Since chrysler went bacnkrupt they are really strict on their warranty. I was 77 miles over, and my service manager tried to get chrysler to honor the warranty...no dice. so i did my own brakes with ceramic pads...could not be happier.

I put on cross drilled rotors

Which I heard are standard on the new ones

Sorry, but I think this is a lost of money. Yes it looks great, but cross drilled rotors are absolutely useless in normal driving. And I would be really surpise to see them as standard equipment on a Journey. This is not a race car or a performance car.

Sorry, but I think this is a lost of money.

Very well but I didnt think it was a lost of money as the 4 rotors cost less than the 2 front from the dealer & they dissipate heat much better which is a killer

I agree that it dissipate much better the heat, but in normal driving conditions, it'll not make a difference. It was same Cost? In this case, yeah, why not! At least they will be better quality than originals rotors and will last more longer!

I agree that it dissipate much better the heat, but in normal driving conditions, it'll not make a difference. It was same Cost? In this case, yeah, why not! At least they will be better quality than originals rotors and will last more longer!

If they dissipate the heat more wouldn't it decrease the chances of warping the rotors. That in it's self would be enough for me.

If they dissipate the heat more wouldn't it decrease the chances of warping the rotors. That in it's self would be enough for me.

They make cross drilled rotors for the journey?!?!

Are you sure you don't mean Vented rotors?

I know the stock rotors are a single piece, they are not vented.

Most aftermarket companies create vented rotors, where the inside of the rotor has hollow vents along the circumfence to disapate heat.

most premium and above average car compaines use them now......

I jsut want to make sure i understand correctly, they make cross drilled rotors for our cars, where the face of the rotor has machined holes all over it to disapate heat?

If thats true, and they are the same price as OEM, then that is by far a better deal than the stock solid piece rotors.

But like stated above, they won't get their tru potential used unless on the track with proper ceramic pads...but these arn't track cars...lol

Yes this is true for hard driving conditions and for race cars. But the rotors don't heat enough in normal driving conditions to justify the use of cross drilled rotors. Yes it will do a difference with the original rotors from Chrysler, but not because they are cross drilled, but because the ones from Chrysler are made of cheap material.

Most aftermarket companies create vented rotors, where the inside of the rotor has hollow vents along the circumfence to disapate heat.

I jsut want to make sure i understand correctly, they make cross drilled rotors for our cars, where the face of the rotor has machined holes all over it to disapate heat?

If thats true, and they are the same price as OEM, then that is by far a better deal than the stock solid piece rotors.

But like stated above, they won't get their tru potential used unless on the track with proper ceramic pads...but these arn't track cars...lol

The front rotors are vented rotors and the rear are non vented rotors, from factory on the Journey. Today's cars all have vented rotors in the front. Some have drums in the rear, or non vented rear rotors and a few (performance cars) have rear vented rotors.

Believe me they are Cross Drilled & Vented-got them from California from Ebay for $159 US - the dealer could not believe the price or the quality

On every GM made car, I have always managed to warp brake rotors. I never went cheap but I never got cross-drilled. Now that I am getting a Dodge, the first brake job is going to be ceramic pads and cross drilled rotors. I have seen them and I know they are available. If it will decrease the heat created and reduce the risk of warping the rotors than for me it is worth the investment!

• 4 weeks later...

I have 18000 miles on my Journey and the brakes are driving me crazy. I took it to the dealer about a month ago and they told me that the warranty ran out at 12000 miles for the brakes. I went to get pads at Advance Auto and put them on noticing that when I pulled the old pads off they were bald. Literally down to the metal and coming apart. I also noticed that is seems to be heating up like the brakes are dragging on the front. My deal is, why am I going to pay the dealer a ton of money to put the same pads and rotors back on the car that are crap when I can get 4 drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads for $330. They want to tell me that it's out of warranty but they need to be looking at all the problems they are having with the brakes on these cars. So, is anyone else running into this issue of them pulling the warranty card with the dealerships or is it just mine?

Believe me they are Cross Drilled & Vented-got them from California from Ebay for $159 US - the dealer could not believe the price or the quality

How are those rotors holding up? I am just asking because like many others I need new ones and I saw the same deal on Ebay, $159 for all 4 rotors. I am just curious if they are rusting or if anything else is happening.

Not sure if I would go as far as getting cross-drilled and slotted. But then again they look great on a vehicle. Proabably gonna need that extra whoa power after the twins get put on :happy feet: I wish I could put twins on but the check book is a little light these days.

One thing Dodge did do is replaced the SRT Charger front disk to slotted rotors because of brake issues. I don't see them doing it for the Journey. They would have done it by now. Betcha the bean counters got involved with this. Just guessing, I would say most of the brake issues are past the warranty period and the cost to upgrade them is more than what they are paying for warranty issues.

As a result of the information posted here I took my Journey RT with 10,500 miles into the dealer to have the brakes checked. They replaced the front and rear rotors under warrenty but said the pads were fine. I don't understand brakes well so could someone tell me why the rotors and pads would be bad in some cases and just the rotors in others? How long can I expect the replacement rotors to last?

They are just telling you the pads are fine for now and make you wait til the 20000 km are up so they don't have to incur the costs. They'll wait til the warranty is up like they do with every other thing. Get a second opinion soon from a place that does a free brake inspection, just make sure you do it before the warranty is done.

I just got an oil change and tire rotation at the dealer. They told me that I have about 3,000 miles before the pads are worn and want me back before then to replace the pads before they damage the rotors. My Journel has 17,800 miles on it and this seems to be a bit early for brake wear, especially considering my last 2 vehicles went over 45K before getting close to needing new pads.

The dealer said that I'm probably one of the 1st local journey owners to have this high mileage, so they don't know if this is premature or not. So, How long are pads lasting for everybody else?

Same deal too !

Yes, Brake wear is ridiculous on the Journey, front went in 22000kms - metal to metal ! - so pads and rotors in 11 months from brand new- Dealer tells me the rears are gone too and will need pads in 2000kms or else the rotors will need replacement as well. They say the journey is "heavy" and so this is "normal" ! what a joke - I know of heavier vehicles that give at least 45 - 50K before pads are needed. Bad start for Dodge

my own last 2 vehicles gave me 50K - and they were heavy vehicles too ! -

How are those rotors holding up? I am just asking because like many others I need new ones and I saw the same deal on Ebay, $159 for all 4 rotors. I am just curious if they are rusting or if anything else is happening.

They seem to be holding up very well I think the ceramic pads are a big help also-nice & shiny unless it rains for a bit & I dont drive it

I would try NAPA, Carquest or Pats Source.

..or canadian tire and princess auto.

I don't really see the big issue with the brakes wearing out at 20-30,000 Kms ... I had a Honda prelude that would need new brakes every 12-14 months and new rotors every 18 months with an average 10-15,000Kms/year. Its not just a 'dodge' thing. I'm sure they are trying to keep costs down but when it comes down to car maintenance its the owners responsibility to be on top of it. If you're not satisfied with your dealer don't keep going back to them hoping that they will 'see the light'. There is always the option of doing the service elsewhere or yourself. I just got an 2010 sxt and from the information I am getting from this excellent forum I will be more than ready for a journey issue if and when it crops up.

-sorry if it sounds like a rant.. :)