Brake Wear?

I just got an oil change and tire rotation at the dealer. They told me that I have about 3,000 miles before the pads are worn and want me back before then to replace the pads before they damage the rotors. My Journel has 17,800 miles on it and this seems to be a bit early for brake wear, especially considering my last 2 vehicles went over 45K before getting close to needing new pads.

The dealer said that I'm probably one of the 1st local journey owners to have this high mileage, so they don't know if this is premature or not. So, How long are pads lasting for everybody else?

• 2 months later...
My Journey only has 20,000 miles and the dealer said that my brakes were gone only 1mm left on them. WTF!!! I don't wan't to spend $300. What kind of warranty do they have on the brake system's.

Just got my rotors turned & new pads (front) @ 36000 klm's

• 5 weeks later...
20,000k in Canada? I better get them to check them now since they are squeaking.. either water or the wear bars are telling me something!!

we have 19.5k on the brakes now.

The Stewie

Yes 20k warranty on the original pad and rotors.

Keep in mind they will say... "No brake issues." every time until you hit 20001 kms then they will say "Your brakes are dangerously worn out."

15000kms on it now, I haven't checked the pads yet, will do it Monday when rotate the tires. Based on the amount of brake dust that collects on the rims within a day of cleaning them I am not surprised they are wearing out so quickly. Past experience with Chryslers (2 Omni's, 2 K-cars, Shadow, Caravan and an Intrepid) the pads and rotors wear out around 50 000 or 60 000 kms. They must be using really soft material in them to keep them quiet while stopping it as well as they do. Performance wise the Journey's brakes are the best of any Chrysler that I have owned, which is surprising considering how heavy the Journey is. Having said how good they are, there are better pads out there, my '04 Corolla had 6mm of material left when I changed them at 120 000 kms, and there is hardly ever dust on its rims (which are made by the same manufacturer). For the Ontario crowd, I drive the Corolla 160 kms round trip from Milton to Pickering 3 days a week on the 401 during rush hour stop and go traffic so I'm not being nice to them!

I had to replace the front brake pads at 18,000 miles... the dealer charged me over $300 for the job... said it wasn't covered by warrantee. I was shocked! Given the above info, I will be re-checking with another dealer to find out if was treated fairly.

I had to replace the front brake pads at 18,000 miles... the dealer charged me over $300 for the job... said it wasn't covered by warrantee. I was shocked! Given the above info, I will be re-checking with another dealer to find out if was treated fairly.

I Was at the dealer today for an oil change with 22,000 miles. Mechanic said I have less than 25% left on my front pads. Will probably get new pads at the next oil change around 25,000 miles. Dodge dealer quoted me $240 for front brakes only. He said for about $20 more he would install ceramic pads. I am seriously considering using ceramic pads because of the extreme amount of break dust I get from the metallics.

...A quick update. I couldn't wait until 25,000 miles because one brake started to grind at 23,000. Well, I wanted to put ceramics on, but the dealer said they were not available from Chrysler. So, I searched an found that Raybestos does make ceramic pads for the Journey. The Raybestos part number for ceramic front pads is PGD1273C. I paid my local mechanic $205.00 US for parts and labor (including turning rotors). After about 1000 miles, so far so good. The brakes are quiet and there is virtually no visible brake dust on the wheels. It's too bad that Chrysler doesn't use these as OEM. It's quite nice not having to clean my wheels on a daily basis.

I just got an oil change and tire rotation at the dealer. They told me that I have about 3,000 miles before the pads are worn and want me back before then to replace the pads before they damage the rotors. My Journel has 17,800 miles on it and this seems to be a bit early for brake wear, especially considering my last 2 vehicles went over 45K before getting close to needing new pads.

The dealer said that I'm probably one of the 1st local journey owners to have this high mileage, so they don't know if this is premature or not. So, How long are pads lasting for everybody else?

we took our Journey in for an oil change and tire rotation. we have 20,800kms and we were told we need new front brakes, they said there was about 15% left on them. this makes me mad because our last vehicle (a toyota) never needed new brakes in the 3 years we owned it!

we are also having a tail light replaced, and our auto-up on the driver window isn't working. on top of this, in the 11 months we've had our Journey we've had to have our ignition replaced, engine wiring harness adapted, and power steering fluid reservoir replaced!

As far as i'm concerned, this vehicle is a total Lemon!!!!!

we took our Journey in for an oil change and tire rotation. we have 20,800kms and we were told we need new front brakes, they said there was about 15% left on them. this makes me mad because our last vehicle (a toyota) never needed new brakes in the 3 years we owned it!

we are also having a tail light replaced, and our auto-up on the driver window isn't working. on top of this, in the 11 months we've had our Journey we've had to have our ignition replaced, engine wiring harness adapted, and power steering fluid reservoir replaced!

As far as i'm concerned, this vehicle is a total Lemon!!!!!

From what I hear, the car companies are cutting costs and are using cheaper materials. I'm sure that includes brake pads as well. I googled this subject and it appears to be an industry-wide problem, even on higher end cars. I've read about complaints with Honda and Nissan as well. Besides, the Journey curb weight can be as much as 4239 lbs. whereas a Toyota Prius only weighs 2932 lbs. It's going to take more to stop the Journey, thus wearing out the brake pads faster.

• 1 month later...
From what I hear, the car companies are cutting costs and are using cheaper materials. I'm sure that includes brake pads as well. I googled this subject and it appears to be an industry-wide problem, even on higher end cars. I've read about complaints with Honda and Nissan as well. Besides, the Journey curb weight can be as much as 4239 lbs. whereas a Toyota Prius only weighs 2932 lbs. It's going to take more to stop the Journey, thus wearing out the brake pads faster.

Listen to this, I had to have all four of my rotors replaced after 8000mi and my pads after 12000. Love the car just not the repairs. We've had numerous other issues as well...

Right then forum members, i have been thinking about this and even run this via a freindly service guy at my local dealers, yes we do know the Journey has great stopping power, but has any of you guys thought about the on board "Hill start"!!!!

when ever the Journey has an angle of 3 degrees or more of body work inclination, the Hill start kicks in applying the brakes, to keep the journey stationary until it/you takes up the drive....well when ever the brakes are applied and they bind whilst the drive is taken up, they wear......

now could this be a huge contributing factor to the rapid wear of the pads???/

as most roads have an incline of some degree on them!!!

We've had our 'truck' about a month now and it's got less than 700 miles on it. I'm surprised at the amount of brake dust I'm cleaning off the wheels -they need a clean after just about every 'journey!'.

Our Neon seemed to stay cleaner for longer, but I'm very impressed with the stopping power on the Journey.

I always expect to buy new brakes more often on an auto than a manual as your holding on them more.

Cheers!

I have just under 15,000 kms on ours. Breaks are squealing like CRAZY!!! We had this checked after reading an article in a car mag. about Chrysler's use of soft break pads. They told us they must just be rusty or grity from the winter. They said they cleaned them and now the squealing is gone. I'll be the judge of that when I pick it up from them tomorrow though.

I have just under 15,000 kms on ours. Breaks are squealing like CRAZY!!! We had this checked after reading an article in a car mag. about Chrysler's use of soft break pads. They told us they must just be rusty or grity from the winter. They said they cleaned them and now the squealing is gone. I'll be the judge of that when I pick it up from them tomorrow though.

If your pads are in good shape. Lots of pad material left. You could clean your brakes yourself. It is real easy. No tools are involved. Just a little bit of driving time. Read the link below. The procedure is for new pads or disc. But if yours are squeaky this should stop the noise too and save you a trip to the stealership.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

If your pads are in good shape. Lots of pad material left. You could clean your brakes yourself. It is real easy. No tools are involved. Just a little bit of driving time. Read the link below. The procedure is for new pads or disc. But if yours are squeaky this should stop the noise too and save you a trip to the stealership.

http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Thanks for the tip. I picked up the Journey today, the breaks are still sqeaking. There was a slight squeak when I left the dealership, but they started to get worse as I continued to drive. I called and asked if the vehicle was test driven and the problem gone, he said it was. He told me the vehicle sat overnight so it should be expected that there would be some squeak and it would get better as I drove along.

I told him how it was progressing. He recommended bringing it back in if the problem persits for another visit because it might be the calipers or something else. He assured me there was lots of pad left and reminded me of the 20,000 km warranty on the breaks; if I bring it in at 19,999kms and they need to be replaced, they'll do it under warranty.