Installing 8.4 uConnect (actually doing it)

• 4 weeks later...

I am also having the problem with the teperature values/numbers not changing on screen. It has the auto on the lower stack and everything . But will only work when using the lowering stack blue and red buttons.

I just purchased this vehicle so i don't know if the previous owner had changed the screens and had this problem or this is all stock and still has this problem?

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so I received the 8.4N RB5 today and installed it. I'm happy to say that everything functions right out of the box and the installation was very straight forward. Won't have to go to the dealership to flash the software so far which is good since I won't be back in the U.S. for another 8 months. Here are a few pics of the work.

I have a 2012 Dodge Journey SXT with the 4.3s screen a dealership in Georgia is telling me it is not possible to convert it

I have a 2012 Dodge Journey SXT with the 4.3s screen a dealership in Georgia is telling me it is not possible to convert it

They are telling you that they won't install it and that they will not take the time to do any work that is not detailed in there shop procedures... It IS possible. Expensive...but possible.

• 6 months later...

Generally no.

But if you don't have automatic air conditioning you will need to replace the temperature sensor module and what is called the lower stack (the controls for the air conditioning - you need the one with the 'auto' button. If you don't have a SiriusXM radio and want that or Navigation you will need to install the antenna assembly. If you don't have Bluetooth you still won't have it.

• 10 months later...

Generally no.

But if you don't have automatic air conditioning you will need to replace the temperature sensor module and what is called the lower stack (the controls for the air conditioning - you need the one with the 'auto' button. If you don't have a SiriusXM radio and want that or Navigation you will need to install the antenna assembly. If you don't have Bluetooth you still won't have it

how would i know if i have the automatic air conditioning? I'm trying to gather as much info as i can and see if i could change out my wife 4" radio with a 8"one. hers came with voice command/bluetooth and thats the only things she really needs. if i run across a nav device i might grab it but not too concerned with that. thanks

no, 8.4" will work with out that module. In order to get everything work properly "auto temp" and so on, you have to replace entire radio"hardware" unit.U will get your 8.4" working with existing radio unit, and it only will provide same functionalities as your 4.3" on the bigger screen.You do not have to change any wires.

I swap my 4.3 to 8.4,( always have auto climate control) however i swap everything: radio it self,screen, scree bezel and lower stack with all buttons.After that it working as charm, no issue.You can get whole set around $700.00 from junk yard.The only things required that radio to operate in your car is proper VIN for radio activation and learning a new security code from your car.Dealer can generate that code, based on donor VIN

The reason it 'worked like a charm' is because you already had automatic air. If you didn't have automatic air and you wanted it to work you would need to replace the ambient light/temperature sensor and have the appropriate sales code added.

And price depends on the provider. For a used one you will pay anywhere from $200 (a serious exception - a member here got his radio, the stack AND the screen for that money - but the vendor thought it wasn't a nav radio - and the buyer bought it based on the part number and his hunch was right) to as much as $1400 for the radio module alone (again I'm referring to a NAV radio). A new module is as much as $2400, depending on your dealer.

And just for the record, you do NOT need the VIN of the donor vehicle.

But I'm curious. According to your profile you have a 2016 Crossroad . . . . the Canadian Crossroad comes with the 8.4 as standard. Why did you have to upgrade?

Edited by bramfrank

I have before 2012 CREW, and it came with 4.3" with Sirius satellite, Bluetooth and auto air, so i decide to upgrade to 8.4" with NAV. So called around and find radio, screen , bezel and lower stack for $700.00

ok I'm trying to wrap my head around this so i don't end up either getting something i don't need or not getting something i do need. so i currently have a radio with the 4.3". do i need to get a diff. radio that would work with the 8.4"? and where is the radio located? thanks so much for the help, like i said just making sure i know 100% what i need.

Just like bamfrank said

ou need a radio and an 8.4" screen and a new upper bezel at the very least.

If you dont have auto climate you need the lower bezel and temp sensors and a light sensor.

Its not just changing the screen.

The radio is located behind the screen/controls

Edited by silenze

• 11 months later...

Does anyone know the part # for the wiring harness in the Journeys?  It's behind the stereo.

Dealer said mine shorted which accounted for RB5 to go dark, no power, no response, and fans and temperature stuck at high temp and hi fan.

When it did work, the temps were originally 22 Celsius, but sliding them on the screen converted them to Farenheit and it stuck.

So now, the dealer said he wired the unit directly and the temp won't change (but I can turn the fans on or off or hi/lo) and bluetooth doesn't exist and GPS has no antenna.  Back up camera defunct.

Guessing this is the wiring harness that connects to bluetooth harness, GPA antenna, and back up camera as well as HVAC (perhaps).

Anyway, if there's a part # for that, I would be very thankful!