Installing 8.4 uConnect (actually doing it)

I had a connector that plugged into that socket. I had 5 connectors that came out of the one on the left. (Radio Antenna, sat/nav connection, uconnect, USB port, not sure about what the fifth one is for without a wiring diagram). Please understand that I purchased the factory Mopar RB5 radio and had it matched to my VIN ($1799.00). I'm sure you can probably get the head unit and bezel cheaper but you gotta make sure that you're getting the right radio. You'll only have the wiring in the vehicle for the radio that was taken out. Buying the RB5 will not add functionality if you didn't already have those capabilities before.

Edited by aukfan33

I think I can see why his 8.4 works fine. From the pics, you can see he has auto climate on his 4.3.

So he's already set up to receive the 8.4 upgrade.

I on the other hand have to have the dealer add the sales code for auto climate.

The gray connector you're talking about Lebowski, is the same on both radios. It's the remove USB plug.

The black "mirrored" connector is the one that doesn't go anywhere I can find.

Where did you get the upgrade? I just bought a brand new 2012 journey SXT but the 8 inch screen was unavailable on any of the units on the lot. I would love to buy ind install the upgrade, but don't know where to get it. Can you help? I live in the Bronx and work in Yonkers, so if you know someplace local that would be useful.

Where did you get the upgrade? I just bought a brand new 2012 journey SXT but the 8 inch screen was unavailable on any of the units on the lot. I would love to buy ind install the upgrade, but don't know where to get it. Can you help? I live in the Bronx and work in Yonkers, so if you know someplace local that would be useful.

I actually live in Yonkers, and work in the Bronx.

Locally, I have no idea where you could get the 8.4 upgrade. Now I'm not 100% sure but maybe u can order the mopar upgrade from the dealer. Or order it directly from mopar.

http://www.mopar.com/part/82213203?s=335634&i=1995161&b=dodge

Check that link.

I got my 8.4 from a recycler I found on car-parts.com.

I too couldn't find an SXT in white with the 8.4. (actually only looked at the white journeys).

Back in may there weren't many DJs sitting in lots to choose from either.

Where did you buy from btw?

Thats where I got it. To ensure i received the correct part I also included my VIN with the order. Best of luck to you guys. While it would've been nice to get it from a salvage yard I just didn't want to take that chance of compatibility.

I don't think you would've had any compatibility issues with either radio.

The 8.4 adds auto climate, and your car is already set up for that, so adding the 8.4 is a simple radio and screen swap.

The crew comes standard with auto climate, while the SXT is optional with the 8.4.

That's where the compatibility comes into play.

Only because the 4.3 is a POS of the worst kind....

You're mean! Lol.

You apparently haven't seen what used to be the standard radio. LoL

Aside from your sound issues, I can't say many bad things about the 4.3.

I think it's a step fwd for dodge overall.

The 8.4 is a leap fwd in time though.

Well, my previous cars had simpler radios with less features, but at least they worked as advertised.

And releasing a radio in 2011 that's not able to show the full station name (8 characters, for Pete's sake!) should be a criminal offense, European car radios have been able to do that for at least the past 20 years.

I won't start here my usual litany of the other features that don't work :)

• 2 weeks later...

ABORT ABORT!!!

I ordered thd wrong part... I missed one little digit!! I just placed another order, and once I get the correct AC panel, I'll head to the dealer once and for all!!

So for those who were waiting on my dealer visit outcome, I'll keep you posted.

1RK591X91AC. Btw, that is the correct part#

One more thing, can anyone confirm weather or not there was a button color change from '11 to '12??

Edited by Mcgusto82

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry to report..

It's an NI, negative impact!! No go!

The dealer was unable to figure out why the temp setting were not adjustable from the 8.4.

We tried putting in the sales code from Dealer Connect.

There was an error. "mismatch component"

It gave 3 possible causes.

Incorrect HVAC module

Incorrect telematics module

Incorrect center stack

It basically, it can't communicate or think that one of those peices didn't belong in the car after putting in the new sales code.

Being that everything works except the HVAC.. I'd say the current HVAC just can't communicate with the center stack.

We tried adding 3 codes. REB (8.4 uConnect) RBZ (DVD sd, etc), and LMK (DRL).

Back to the drawing board.. I'm getting tired of this.

Btw, I did put in the correct lower stack with the SD card, it still doesn't do anything when I press the screen temp buttons. However, the actual air temperature IS adjustable by the lower stack blue/red buttons.

Time to call Chrysler.

• 2 months later...

So I am thinking of doing this upgrade. I currently have the u-connect 4.3 with auto climate & bluetooth. So from what I have read so far, I should be OK to simply swap the head unit & screen from another Journey and not encounter the temp control issue others have reported. The 4.3 keeps having issues (full blast volume at start-up at least 3-4 times per week). The unit has been flashed by the dealer and still doing it. The wife is getting upset now, so I thought I would give this a try.

My question is, do I need a code from the dealer? I know many manufacturers code their radios to the car for theft deterrent. Will the radio work, or will I have to visit a dealer to have it coded to my vehicle?

Thanks.

EDIT: I found this .pdf of a service bulletin from Chrysler that indicates starting in 2012, there will be an anti-theft code in Chrysler vehicles. So does that mean my 2011 doesn't have it???

http://www.sequentialtaillights.com/dodge/SB_PDF/TSB_LC_0805111.pdf

Edited by FROGBOX

I was able to plug and play the head unit and bezel without taking it to the dealer. As you can see from my earlier post I went from the 4.3S radio to the 8.4N with navigation. It even shows up in the EVIC when i have a turn coming up etc. without getting a code from the dealer. Good luck with your upgrade.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I have found a donor vehicle, but it is about a 3 hour drive one way, so I want to make sure I get all the required parts because I don't want to have to go back. My 4.3 did not have GPS. Is the antenna built into the new head unit or is it something else I need to pull from the donor vehicle? What other things do I need?

1) Head unit

2) 8.4"screen with bezel

3) Lower panel with SD card slot???

4) GPS antenna???

Thanks.

Mcgusto82, your issue is the HVAC module. When you upgraded the radio, you upgraded the telematics module, and if you replaced the center console with the button that has "AUTO"and "OFF" on the same button, then the center stack is correct. The only thing is the HVAC module. Trying to find the right part number for that one. As soon as I do, I'll post it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

New to the forum. Bought a 2012 DJ SXT with 4.3 screen. I didn't want to pay extra for the same car with the 8.4 screen and now I'm starting to regret it.

Mcgusto, I was going to PM you but I can't since I just signed up.

Question, I want to upgrade my 4.3 system to the 8.4.... I've seen some systems for around $1,700 but that's way out of my budget. Where did you find your parts and how much did you pay?

I found some parts online but I don't know if its not a complete set which would end up costing me more if it's not.

Any help is truly appreciated!

Thanks!